Fuel additive - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel additive

Old 03-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Senior User

p12483 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You guys that are using opti lube have you seen any fuel gains? I am planning on using it once my pm 22 is all out.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Freshman User

rlm328 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p12483 View Post
You guys that are using opti lube have you seen any fuel gains? I am planning on using it once my pm 22 is all out.
I wouldn't know if I have seen a fuel I crease or not, I have been using it since day one. It does have a cetane booster which is probably very similar to everyone else's so should be similar in gains to the other products out there.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:51 PM
Senior User

Jayybird is starting off with a positive reputation.
I ran stanadyne performance formula on my 6.0 for a while, had a 147k miles never had a fuel issue or injector issue. I have a Fallon left over so I am gonna use it in my new 6.7 however, it seems most are using pm-22a. I know several injector repair places that only recommend stanadyne. Which is better? No clue. As far ad warranty goes, can't go wrong with the motorcrqft stuff.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Senior User

Jayybird is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry for the choppy text, posting from my iPhone
Old 03-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Elder User

cford716 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Most I think use Ford's additive for 1 of 2 reasons. (1) It's less expensive and easier to get than some of these others and/or (2) they feel that using it will be a better case for them if their HPFP fails. From other posts I think #2 is the big one.

I started using Ford's first and have switched to Optilube XPD a few months ago. Here was my reasoning: I would prefer to use the best product and not have to be in the warranty fight than to end up there and be saying "but I used your additive".

Why do I think that Optilube is the best? Because of the only study out there that I am aware of......the 2007 Spicer study. Yes it is old but it is all we have until another one is done, any other speculation on well "this shop told me to use this" is just that.....speculation. I don't think they conducted a blind study to determine that. I was looking for facts...period. In the Spicer test Optilube XPD was ranked #2 out of the 19 additives tested only behind 2% bio that ranked #1. Stanadyne was ranked #8. This was only comparing lubrication not cetane boosting.

On your milage question with Optilube, I would say it is not worse that Ford's, maybe a little better. With winter fuel I am seeing 15-16 around town, I get 23 on the highway which seems better for winter fuel. My main concern is keeping the engine healthy and if I can get a few extra mpg then great.

And by no means do I say that the others are not good, I just want to use, what I think, is the best. I would also be using 2% bio but nobody sells it in my area.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Freshman User

Ezcmpny is starting off with a positive reputation.
I use Howes, readily available about anywhere and always at truck stops.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Senior User

p12483 is starting off with a positive reputation.
[QUOTE=cford716;11601750]Most I think use Ford's additive for 1 of 2 reasons. (1) It's less expensive and easier to get than some of these others and/or (2) they feel that using it will be a better case for them if their HPFP fails. From other posts I think #2 is the big one.

I started using Ford's first and have switched to Optilube XPD a few months ago. Here was my reasoning: I would prefer to use the best product and not have to be in the warranty fight than to end up there and be saying "but I used your additive".

Why do I think that Optilube is the best? Because of the only study out there that I am aware of......the 2007 Spicer study. Yes it is old but it is all we have until another one is done, any other speculation on well "this shop told me to use this" is just that.....speculation. I don't think they conducted a blind study to determine that. I was looking for facts...period. In the Spicer test Optilube XPD was ranked #2 out of the 19 additives tested only behind 2% bio that ranked #1. Stanadyne was ranked #8. This was only comparing lubrication not cetane boosting.

On your milage question with Optilube, I would say it is not worse that Ford's, maybe a little better. With winter fuel I am seeing 15-16 around town, I get 23 on the highway which seems better for winter fuel. My main concern is keeping the engine healthy and if I can get a few extra mpg then great.

And by no means do I say that the others are not good, I just want to use, what I think, is the best. I would also be using 2% bio but nobody sells it in my area.

Hope this helps.[/QUOT

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Senior User

aaronbrace is starting off with a positive reputation.
Optilube XPD.

About to switch to Optilube summer blend in another few weeks. Save myself a bit per tank while the weather is warm.

---Aaron
Old 03-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Freshman User

consolidated is starting off with a positive reputation.
Using Optilube XPD
Old 03-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Junior User

DrillbitTailor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nothing but high quality diesel fuel

The owners manual says additives should not be necessary if you are using good fuel. So I plan to use nothing other than good fuel. Ford warrantys the engine for 100,000 miles with no requirement or even recomendation for it. I have operated diesels all my life and have only ever added supplement in the winter for improved starting when it is really cold. I am sure I'll get a barrage of disagreements, but I think we are making this too hard guys.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:07 PM
Elder User

jack_pine is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just don't know how I can guarantee I am not getting bad fuel. At home i go to reputable/high volume station. Over the road I may not have that option. anyway, as others have said, it's a cheap way to ensure the fuels lubricity........
Old 03-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Senior User

skscci is starting off with a positive reputation.
Opti-Lube from the manufacturer

What a GREAT Thread!
Being new to Diesels I am learning quite a lot from all you guys!
I read all of these posts and tracked down the Spicer review document from 2007 and did some additional reading.
I finally decided that unless I spend a lot of time up north in the winter, the Opti-Lube summer blend would be just fine for me down here in Florida.
I looked all over for it online and it turns out that the best price (even with the FedEx ground shipping was from Opti-Lube.
$55.95 / gallon plus $12.28 shipping. A better price than anything else I found online. Plus, it includes the 16 oz dispenser bottle.

Doing the math, that's $68.23 / 1280 (1oz/10 gals = 1280 gals) = $0.053 or just over 5 cents per gallon.
At Diesel costing over $4/gallon, another 5 cents / gallon is chump change.
It comes out to just over $1 / tankfull.

Here's a link to their product order site.
Products

Last edited by skscci; 03-21-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Did the math.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:32 AM
Elder User

cford716 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrillbitTailor View Post
The owners manual says additives should not be necessary if you are using good fuel. So I plan to use nothing other than good fuel. Ford warrantys the engine for 100,000 miles with no requirement or even recomendation for it. I have operated diesels all my life and have only ever added supplement in the winter for improved starting when it is really cold. I am sure I'll get a barrage of disagreements, but I think we are making this too hard guys.
A simple response is, yes, you are right.

However, considering the issue that has come up with the HPFP this is cheap insurance until it gets figured out. And if I am getting only a little extra mpg then it really doesn't cost me much of anything. Do I think it is a widespread problem, no, (HPFP failures) but I am not ready but to a $10,000 bet on it.

If you haven't already you may want to review the threads on the HPFP failures. (Bring a few beers or a lot of coffee because they are a lot of reading) Then see if your view on the additives changes or not.

This engine does not appear to handle whatever you throw in the tank like older diesels would. If you use the same ideas and tricks people have used with older engines you may get a very expensive lesson.

Do some research and then see what you think. Just some friendly advice, take it or leave it. Most of all congrats on the new truck.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Junior User

DrillbitTailor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for taking the time to send your post and advice. I have read through the hpfp thread and it is alarming. One challenge for me is trying to know the full story. What i mean on this issue is that while there is a LOT of chatter in there including some from me, i cant really assess the facts. I think there were 2 documented cases that i could find. Even if the number is twice that, it is a very small pct. If because of the internet we all now know it can be good and bad. If it causes all of us to buy additives, crawl under our truck and drain the water seperator at every fill up, interrogate fuel station attendants daily, it is probably more bad than good. Not sure if i am making sense, but i think we need to make sure we dont all over react to statistically insignificant infomation to the point it reduces the benefit and enjoyment of our wonderful new trucks.
We will each have our own risk tolerance, and therefore make different decisions, but fear seems to be the root cause of much of the marketing of some of these products. Some appear to be making a lot of money off of our fears.
All that said, the info on additives is useful for considetation.
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cford716 View Post
A simple response is, yes, you are right.

However, considering the issue that has come up with the HPFP this is cheap insurance until it gets figured out. And if I am getting only a little extra mpg then it really doesn't cost me much of anything. Do I think it is a widespread problem, no, (HPFP failures) but I am not ready but to a $10,000 bet on it.

If you haven't already you may want to review the threads on the HPFP failures. (Bring a few beers or a lot of coffee because they are a lot of reading) Then see if your view on the additives changes or not.

This engine does not appear to handle whatever you throw in the tank like older diesels would. If you use the same ideas and tricks people have used with older engines you may get a very expensive lesson.

Do some research and then see what you think. Just some friendly advice, take it or leave it. Most of all congrats on the new truck.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:01 AM
New User

stltikn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here's a link to the study: Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

The failure rate is very low, unless it's your truck! I'm with others to use the Ford product for a warrented vehicle. Simply to help defend your own case in the event of a failure. Like anything else in life, do the best you can and quit worrying about it.