TRITON

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 03:49 PM
hodges710
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRITON

Why do many think just because the name Triton is used to name the engine model that it has extra HP and torque and other crap that they come up with. Triton just tells you that it has the fail safe cooling feature/protection.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:15 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Okay............but who exactly thinks the Triton badge automatically denotes anything super special or uber-powered? What about Chevy's Vortec---what does that imply?

Advertising gimmicks are as old as selling things is---we simply need to ignore the hyperbole and compare apples to apples, make our choices accordingly. Sometimes "new & improved" just ain't true!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 AM
hodges710
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA
Okay............but who exactly thinks the Triton badge automatically denotes anything super special or uber-powered? What about Chevy's Vortec---what does that imply?

Advertising gimmicks are as old as selling things is---we simply need to ignore the hyperbole and compare apples to apples, make our choices accordingly. Sometimes "new & improved" just ain't true!
GM's vortec engine is actually a design within the combustion chamber where the shape of the top of the piston and the head makes ( they say it makes) something like a vortex which is also said to increase better fuel burn/performance.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:33 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
But isn't that too just a claim?

I've heard so many claims by so many but in the end when it comes to vehicles I want something simple, dependable and decent fuel economy----all the hype surrounding the rest just doesn't register with me.

I wonder if Ford's name Triton wasn't just to set the modular engines apart from the previous models, make them seem to be new and improved?

Old 03-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Exactly. They're all just advertising gimmicks. At the end of the day...we're talking about trucks. They get $h1t fuel economy (regardless of the jerk-off name given to the engine). The Ecoboost is a prime example of that one. How many people REALLY experience the claimed fuel economy numbers? I have a co-worker that averages around 18 MPG with his Ecoboost truck. Yeah...mostly around town driving and he has a lead foot...but still. They made it sound like that engine would get 20+ MPG everywhere and would be the best thing since sliced bread.

What I'll be amused to see (because I'm totally expecting it) are the repair bills for those pieces of $h1t when they get north of 150k miles. Throwing twin turbos on a truck. Brilliant idea, IMO. (note the sarcasm)

Old 03-15-2012, 10:07 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Yeah but Mr Archer I agree with you completely----the higher tech anything gets the more expensive it becomes to repair. Honestly it seems the names are tied to repair bills!

I'm waiting for the "new & improved" Ford Transit that'll replace the E Series vans to begin gaining a bit of experience for users, see how it fares against or to the Mercedes Sprinter. I'm hoping they won't be under powered and prone to rusting away inside of 5 years. They're to get the Ecoboost motors----could be one problem compounded by another.

Even though NYC's Madison Ave isn't the focus of great advertising today its whole mindset and desire to spin everything inaccurately thrives in the internet age!

Old 03-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

The amusing thing is that the 104k mile 5.4L truck I just picked up sounds better than the co-workers Ecoboost (it has maybe 10k miles). His truck just sounds noisy/odd at idle. Unlike any other truck I've ever heard idling.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:24 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
I've racked up 263K miles on my 5.4---bought it with 203K to begin! So far its been flawless since 2008. Getting about 13 or so MPG but as a heavy work truck I'm not complaining---I make dollars by the mile so it is what it is!

Oddly enough though once an automotive design matures and proves to be reliable its time for a change. Its never ending---I've seen this time and time again since the mid-60's when I first started driving.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:05 PM
gijim2k1
Junior User
If you look at the front of the engine the timing chains kind of resemble a trident, that could have something to do with the name Triton... Just a thought

Old 03-22-2012, 12:10 PM
greenego
Senior User
Triton refers to truck engine.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

I thought it was named in honor of this guy.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:54 PM
hodges710
Senior User
Originally Posted by greenego
Triton refers to truck engine.
Triton does not refer to it being a truck engine, it actually refers to having the fail safe cooling protection. Are they in trucks, yes but it is not why they are called tritons.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:40 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
I think I would like the new Eco boost. I am a big fan of turbos on gas motors. I have a VW Turbo GTI. Love that car. Will run right with a 4.6 Mustang and get 30mpg. With good maintanence turbos have proven themselves time and time again.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:01 PM
greenego
Senior User
Originally Posted by hodges710
Triton does not refer to it being a truck engine, it actually refers to having the fail safe cooling protection. Are they in trucks, yes but it is not why they are called tritons.
Triton refers to truck engine. You can believe what you like just as I will.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:44 PM
F250CCowner
Senior User
Originally Posted by hodges710
Why do many think just because the name Triton is used to name the engine model that it has extra HP and torque and other crap that they come up with. Triton just tells you that it has the fail safe cooling feature/protection.
Who in question are you referring to as "many think" and in what literature or where does it state that "triton" is a fail safe cooling feature? Please enlighten us.

Quick Reply: TRITON