TRITON

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:57 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My mom has a 2011 explorer v6 (non ecoboost) and its pretty noisy at idle. My buddy who is a mechanic told me its just because the new engines are so quiet, all you are hearing are the injectors firing and ticking. Maybe thats what you are hearing with his ecoboost? My dads friend has an F150 ecoboost and its pretty quiet

Old 03-22-2012, 06:36 PM
hodges710
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F250CCowner
Who in question are you referring to as "many think" and in what literature or where does it state that "triton" is a fail safe cooling feature? Please enlighten us.
"MANY THINK" refers to all that dont know that triton really means. I dont have the readings sitting right here in front of me but just ask around. Some think it just means its a truck engine and the name triton has/had nothing to do with it. When the engine detects an overheating issue, through the ecm, its shuts out alternating cylinders/injectors to help allow cooling by just moving air. I am amazed how how this triton deal was easy to learn but so many failed on it.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:10 PM
F250CCowner
Senior User
I just got back from the stealership and spoke to the ASE mechanic at my local Fairview ford for my "works" package. He said the engine does have the fail safe you mention but he said it was NOT why they named the engine that. I asked him if he was sure and he said to prove his point some Lincoln and Mercury vehicles also share the same modular engine as Ford and they are named InTech instead. He said it was a marketing slogan and nothing more. So I guess your 50% right.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Originally Posted by acf6
My mom has a 2011 explorer v6 (non ecoboost) and its pretty noisy at idle. My buddy who is a mechanic told me its just because the new engines are so quiet, all you are hearing are the injectors firing and ticking. Maybe thats what you are hearing with his ecoboost? My dads friend has an F150 ecoboost and its pretty quiet
Who knows. All I know is that I was shocked when he took me for a drive in it shortly after he got it. It does have a cool badge on the door though.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:44 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer
Who knows. All I know is that I was shocked when he took me for a drive in it shortly after he got it. It does have a cool badge on the door though.
Yea and his gets pretty good mpg. We went from Vermont to CT in the winter, with some 4x4 and about 150 miles one way, and got 23 mpg hand calculated there and back. So not too bad

Old 03-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Originally Posted by acf6
Yea and his gets pretty good mpg. We went from Vermont to CT in the winter, with some 4x4 and about 150 miles one way, and got 23 mpg hand calculated there and back. So not too bad
Yeah...and his cost four times as much. You can buy a lot of gas with $30k+. Don't get me wrong...it would be cool to have a truck that gets 20+ MPG. However, what I'd save in gas would more than be made up for with the additional monthly cost of the vehicle.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:01 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Hopefully here in a couple of years the ecoboosts will come down in price. I def. can't afford one. I just went for a used 5.4 truck. Even with a new motor I only have 9k tied up in it. The cost i saved from buying a new one will buy a lot of gas. Even at 13mpg.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:57 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Must mean my CVPI has a Triton in it since it has the fail safe cooling

In fact I'd be shocked if any engine built in the last 10-15 years doesn't have the fail safe/limp mode. Maybe they all are Triton's. I file this with the PO's knowledge on spark plugs, which will be in the circular file next to the desk.

It is absolutely a marketing name and probably not a coincidence that there are 3 engines that are Triton's.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:50 PM
F250CCowner
Senior User
I think some people just post to read what they write whether or not it is true. I knew a lot of OBDII vehicles have this feature.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:26 AM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Eather way, I think Triton sounds cool. So good job Ford!

Old 03-28-2012, 08:02 AM
hodges710
Senior User
I just got back from the stealership and spoke to the ASE mechanic at my local Fairview ford for my "works" package. He said the engine does have the fail safe you mention but he said it was NOT why they named the engine that. I asked him if he was sure and he said to prove his point some Lincoln and Mercury vehicles also share the same modular engine as Ford and they are named InTech instead. He said it was a marketing slogan and nothing more. So I guess your 50% right.
Well I guess this goes to show that some Ford ASE MECHANICS are not that smart for another claimed Ford know it all says that it is why they are called tritons not to mention this one brought out the sales catelog and there in plain writing shows why the name triton is use and not to sound like a broken record but it is due to the fact of having the fail safe cooling and nothing to do with being in a truck . This guy also laughed at the fact of these same engine being in vans and wonder why ford didnt come up with a different name for them. This is somewhat like watching sports, you will have fans of another team bitch and complain but it is what it is. Believe what you want to and even if someone else told you, some people in this world are just like that, we are human lol.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:33 AM
F250CCowner
Senior User
You are just not getting it. ALL THE MODULAR ENGINES HAVE THIS FEATURE NO MATTER WHAT THEY ARE NAMED. Triton or InTech it doesn't matter if it came in a car truck or van the feature didn't dictate the name. Please document where it shows this. I will take a 27 year Ford ASE MASTER mechanic's word over some random whomever on a forum who can barely form coherent sentences. Also the 'feature' you so proudly are beating to death has been part of the modular engine (as well as many other brands designs) for YEARS now. Triton is just a badge moniker because Modular doesnt fit on the fender badges well. I think YOU are the one who think the name "Triton" denotes something that it isn't.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 AM
hodges710
Senior User
You are just not getting it. ALL THE MODULAR ENGINES HAVE THIS FEATURE NO MATTER WHAT THEY ARE NAMED. Triton or InTech it doesn't matter if it came in a car truck or van the feature didn't dictate the name. Please document where it shows this. I will take a 27 year Ford ASE MASTER mechanic's word over some random whomever on a forum who can barely form coherent sentences. Also the 'feature' you so proudly are beating to death has been part of the modular engine (as well as many other brands designs) for YEARS now. Triton is just a badge moniker because Modular doesnt fit on the fender badges well. I think YOU are the one who think the name "Triton" denotes something that it isn't.
LMFAO, hope you understand what this means

Old 03-28-2012, 08:52 AM
hodges710
Senior User
Actually you acting so smart you should know that all modular engines did NOT have the fail safe cooling feature lol. Modular engines starting in 91 + or - a year and they did not have it, you are a funny man lol. Goes to show how much you know.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:29 AM
F250CCowner
Senior User
Still can't show any documentation or proof to back up any of your statements or claims. I have read through some of your other posts and threads and they are filled with so much fail and misinformation it is pointless to continue to discuss anything related to vehicles with you.

Quick Reply: TRITON