1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

A question of 4 connections: what are they?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Then RW may be partly right - it just didn't come with the cap's? Even tho it did come with a radio. Ok, could be. As I said early, just having the part in the wiring diagrams doesn't mean all of them had it.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:23 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I'm sure it came with caps if it had a radio, I believe Ford had been doing that for decades.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:34 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm waiting for a call back from Partspring, Gary. Tried to order that capacitor ($4.52), and it came up $25 shipping.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by WilleyJoe.62
I'm waiting for a call back from Partspring, Gary. Tried to order that capacitor ($4.52), and it came up $25 shipping.
Hey, you can ship it to Australia for that much! Maybe your local Ford dealer or the parts store?

Old 03-15-2012, 04:49 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Yeah, it's ridiculous. I can be bought, but I can't be had.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:58 PM
drumfield
Tuned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry it took so long, work arrived before daylight.
I went and looked, and sure enough, that connector is wired into the relay for the trailer "exterior" lights. According to my wiring diagram, it may also be used for the relay for the cab-top clearance lights, if so equipped.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:00 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Well done! Thanks very much -- Reps for you!

Old 03-16-2012, 02:04 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
This is page 6-33 from the Chilton manual.

Surrounded in yellow (lower) is NOISE FILTER; is that the capacitor, and is it somewhere under the distributor?

I've highlighted the regulator in yellow (upper), and that same icon doesn't appear for a noise filter. Chilton oversight?

Lastly, the green arrow points to a BRN/PNK line running directly to the coil, and on to the starter relay. Is this BRN/PNK line tied somewhere else in the harness, instead of directly to the coil? Because I definitely don't see it.

Festus starts right up and runs like a top - I'm just obsessing...
Be careful, that diagram is for trucks with idiot lights.

The trucks with gauges (ammeter and Oil pressure) are wired different.

The Capacitor on the voltage regulator is not installed if the truck never came with a factory radio. However when these go bad, it can cause a direct ground short in that wire. Someone might have removed it to eliminate a problem. Still inconclusive.

====================================

Connector #2: Both the trailer and Fog light relay plug in here.
depending on the option you get.

On the fog lamp harness extention, there are two brown wire plugs, one male and the other female. One plugs into the main harness, and the other is left open to plug the trailer lights harness into it if so equipped, or it remains open like on your truck.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:55 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I'll try to address the question posed by WJ here, but we answered it via PM. Anyway, I pulled that capacitor off of Dad's truck as Rusty didn't have one. The # on that one is E1AF-18832AA, and a quick Google found several of those.

WJ found the capacitor that is attached to the coil on ebay, but it is a different capacitor, at least from a connector standpoint, as shown in the attached pic with the regulator cap on top and the coil cap on the bottom. And, their #'s are written between them, although I'm not sure of the prefix on the coil cap as I can't tell for sure that it is a "1".
Part number for the Capacitor: E0TZ-18832-A / F6UZ-18832-AA

That makes no sense as the ignitions are identical with the exception of fewer lobes on the reluctor. And, IIRC, the Ford wiring schematic shows it for all gas-powered engines. I'll confirm that tomorrow.
That's the way they are wired though. Capacitor on Voltage Regulator 300-I6. Capacitor on the Ignition coil. 302-V8

Originally Posted by ctubutis
Brown is, indeed, used by the front marker lamps, tail lamps, parking lamps, license plate illumination, roof-mounted marker lamps (if equipped), headlight-on buzzer,, one or two other things inside the cab that I forget at the moment.

There should be a connector like that #2 behind the driver's side kick panel, down near the parking brake assembly; this supplies power for the roof lights.
Correct this is for the optional cab lights.

No idea why you'd have a brown wire connector there by the ignition module, your truck must have had some sort of optional package or was specially-ordered.

Probably Ralph would know for certain.
As was stated, for the Optional Trailer Lights and Optional fog lamps respective harnesses plug in there.

These trucks were wired for every option available. This made it easier to install at the dealer if so chosen. If you find an empty plug, more than likely it's for a option your truck did not come with.

I am not sure what you're' referring to, but I can say that my truck originally didn't have a tach or gauges and I had IIRC a male connector with a black & green (or just green, ir just black, I don't remember) wire(s), the other end was at the coil (which was also connected to the module IIRC).
Tachometer wiring...

On trucks with idiot lights, the tach plug remains open as there is no plug for it in the main harness, or it plugs direct to the computer (if equipped).

On trucks with gauges the plug is connected to the main harness, and/or computer. Even if there is no tach in the dash.

300-6 engines only have the Green wire.
V8's have both Green and black because the tach has to be grounded "twice" on the "8" terminal of the tach to read correctly for a V8.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:17 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Mucho good information, thanks to all who pitched in for the cause. I'm sure a lot of folks have benefited from the answers posted here.

I called Green Sales a couple of days ago and they didn't have the F6UZ-, which apparently can fetch a hefty price.

I never heard back from Partspring. No further comment.

So I called Green again today, and gave 'em the number that Gary found on the yellow (voltage regulator) capacitor: E1AF18832AA. The friendly folks at Green cross-referenced it for me, and sure enough, they had one. Five bucks.

Festus definitely had a factory radio at some point, and I'll see in a few days if this capacitor improves the reception on the '84 Ford radio I installed. It has that same ground-to-frame arrangement, and I've got a wee bit of static, so we'll see if this helps.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
That cap will help with alternator static, but not ignition static. You really need both caps. And, btw, your hood does have a ground strap on it - right?

Old 03-16-2012, 06:34 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
No, it doesn't. Good grief - talk about not seeing the obvious. I just took a close look at it, there's one suspect hole in the hood that looks like it was used in the past...

19A095? Any idea what the prefix is?

Old 03-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
The hood is part of the shielding for the radio antenna. Remember the '69 1/2 Road Runner 6-Packs - the ones with the lift-off fiberglass hoods? A buddy of mine had one and the radio reception was awful - all you could hear was ignition. Yup, common problem for them as that hood did no shielding. And, btw, it did have resistor plug wires.

Sorry, missed the question. But, I don't understand the question. What part are we talking about? The ground?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:02 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
A bonding strap is a bonding strap, right? Found several online - for instance, an 11-inch '73 strap would work fine, wouldn't it?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:44 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
A bonding strap is a bonding strap, right? Found several online - for instance, an 11-inch '73 strap would work fine, wouldn't it?
Yeah a junkyard should have dozens if not Dozens of Dozens.

The hood is part of the shielding for the radio antenna. Remember the '69 1/2 Road Runner 6-Packs - the ones with the lift-off fiberglass hoods? A buddy of mine had one and the radio reception was awful - all you could hear was ignition. Yup, common problem for them as that hood did no shielding. And, btw, it did have resistor plug wires.
Not only that, but it's part of the radio ground plane.

The radio antenna has to be a certain height for proper radio reception, to pick up the frequency waves. FM radio is in the 3 meter bandwidth and is broadcasted vertically as well as horizontally.

Unfortunately to have a antenna that will catch the whole wave would have to be approximately 11.11 feet long (Different for each channel) for FM reception. There are tricks to make the antenna shorter and the Ground Plane is one of these.

The hood of the truck, the roof, etc... become part of the antenna.

This article will explain it better than I could.

Ground plane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Using a Fiberglass hood reduced the effective "length" and reception of his antenna by two-thirds, or 75%.

Quick Reply: A question of 4 connections: what are they?