1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

A question of 4 connections: what are they?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 03:04 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A question of 4 connections: what are they?

'81 F100, 6-300, about as factory stock as it can be. No A/C.

I believe in a place for everything, and everything in its place - so can someone please tell me what these four connections are for?

1. Large socket near the ignition module; three of the four are hooked up, this one isn't. Shown here supported by a stick.
2. Black snap-lock box connector just behind the ignition module.
3. Same style, but grey; on the firewall next to the booster, single lime green wire; secured here with cable tie.
4. Short yellow wire coming from voltage regulator, with round connector. I covered the open plug with electrical tape. I copied it outside the photo, and whited out the surround to isolate the wire in the photo.

Attached Images     
Old 03-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
#3 is the wire that goes to the under-hood light that you apparently do not have...Yet.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Grubbworm
#3 is the wire that goes to the under-hood light that you apparently do not have...Yet.
Check! Thanks.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by WilleyJoe.62

I believe in a place for everything, and everything in its place - so can someone please tell me what these four connections are for?

1. Large socket near the ignition module; three of the four are hooked up, this one isn't. Shown here supported by a stick.
2. Black snap-lock box connector just behind the ignition module.
3. Same style, but grey; on the firewall next to the booster, single lime green wire; secured here with cable tie. Should be the under-hood light, but it should have a yellow tracer
4. Short yellow wire coming from voltage regulator, with round connector. I covered the open plug with electrical tape. I copied it outside the photo, and whited out the surround to isolate the wire in the photo.
I'm going to answer in bursts as I can't see your pics when I'm responding.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend

1. Large socket near the ignition module; three of the four are hooked up, this one isn't. Shown here supported by a stick. What are the wire colors? Can't make them out in the pic.
2. Black snap-lock box connector just behind the ignition module. Dunno as both of mine are empty as well and I have cruise on one. Will look at diagrams.
3. Same style, but grey; on the firewall next to the booster, single lime green wire; secured here with cable tie.
4. Short yellow wire coming from voltage regulator, with round connector. I covered the open plug with electrical tape. I copied it outside the photo, and whited out the surround to isolate the wire in the photo. There's supposed to be an EMI-killing capacitor plugged in there and secured to the bottom bolt of the regulator.
Give me the wire colors and I'll look at the wiring diagrams.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:29 PM
JimsRebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
1 = tach feed, if it is a green wire that goes to the 4 wire plug on the IGN module.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:33 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Dashing out for more pics ...

Old 03-13-2012, 03:46 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
1. Single green wire leading into the socket.
2. Single brown wire.
4. Better pic of the starter solenoid.

Attached Images    
Old 03-13-2012, 03:51 PM
lavatan
Laughing Gas
Subscribed, as I am curious as well.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:58 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
4. Short yellow wire coming from voltage regulator, with round connector. I covered the open plug with electrical tape. I copied it outside the photo, and whited out the surround to isolate the wire in the photo. There's supposed to be an EMI-killing capacitor plugged in there and secured to the bottom bolt of the regulator.

Crikey, Gary, there it is on page 31-43-3 of the Body/Chassis/Electrical shop manual. RFI Capacitor, marked "36A" in a circle. Any notion where I can obtain one?
And I'm betting the PO who installed that Sanyo cassette deck, hot-wired into the lighter, pulled that capacitor. ******.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JimsRebel
1 = tach feed, if it is a green wire that goes to the 4 wire plug on the IGN module.
My favorite unused plug on my whole truck, as it's a handy place to clip my tach when I'm adjusting the carburetor.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I'll try to address the question posed by WJ here, but we answered it via PM. Anyway, I pulled that capacitor off of Dad's truck as Rusty didn't have one. The # on that one is E1AF-18832AA, and a quick Google found several of those.

WJ found the capacitor that is attached to the coil on ebay, but it is a different capacitor, at least from a connector standpoint, as shown in the attached pic with the regulator cap on top and the coil cap on the bottom. And, their #'s are written between them, although I'm not sure of the prefix on the coil cap as I can't tell for sure that it is a "1".

Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2012, 05:29 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Excellent info, guys, many thanks - 3 for 4 so far. Any idea on #2, that black one with the single brown wire?

Old 03-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Excellent info, guys, many thanks - 3 for 4 so far. Any idea on #2, that black one with the single brown wire?
Still looking in the wiring diagrams. Neither Dad's truck nor Rusty have anything connected to that. And the only similar connector I've found in the diagrams says it goes the carb solenoid vent and is beside the carb, but that's not where this one is. Hmmmm...

Old 03-13-2012, 05:49 PM
1983F1503004x4
Posting Guru

1. Large socket near the ignition module; three of the four are hooked up, this one isn't. Shown here supported by a stick. Tachometer feed for L6. V8's use grounded tach's, and the 6's use ungrounded tachs. That's why there's only one green wire. If you decide sometime down the road to either convert to a factory tach or an aftermarket, you use that plug/wire to do it.
2. Black snap-lock box connector just behind the ignition module. This is the one you said earlier had the brown wire going to it? My Chilton's manual has a diagram for 1981, and it shows the solid brown wire as running to the taillights and marker lights. Other than that, I have no idea. Maybe it was for foglights.
3. Same style, but grey; on the firewall next to the booster, single lime green wire; secured here with cable tie. As already mentioned, under-hood light hookup wire. I plan on tapping into mine sometime down the road. Never know when you might need it for emergency by-the-road work.
4. Short yellow wire coming from voltage regulator, with round connector. I covered the open plug with electrical tape. I copied it outside the photo, and whited out the surround to isolate the wire in the photo. As Gary has already pointed out to you, that wire goes to an RFI capacitor. Put simply, it's a Radio Frequency Interference capacitor that helps remove some of the static from your radio. I recommend getting another capacitor, undoing one of the starter relay bolts, and using the hole in the capacitor, slip it under the relay and bolt it to the fender there. It grounds to the fender by a relay screw.
Hope that helps. I went through a "what's this plug" thread before like you. Drives me nuts knowing that there are unused factory plugs on my truck, but that's part of the mass assembly process.

I am just astounded by how clean your truck is. It's almost factory new to me.

Quick Reply: A question of 4 connections: what are they?