1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

A question of 4 connections: what are they?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:15 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
FWIW, the engine harness side of that green wire plug is the main difference between I6 and V8 engine harnesses. V8 uses the black wire as an extra ground for the tach, where the I6 doesn't. The black wire grounds the "V8 corrector" built into the factory tach.

That brown wire has me curious. I wonder if it has power when the parking light circuit is in use? If it is for fog lights, I bet it doesn't, but has a matching unused plug under the dash........
RW figured out why my tach was reading high a year ago at the first NEOKGTG - I had a home-made harness w/o the black wire.

What is the "parking light"? When I used to "park" I didn't want any lights.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:29 AM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
The brown wire threw me for a loop. The rest were pretty easy, as you found out.
The round connector with the green wire, near the ignition module, should have a matching plug somewhere, though it will likely have a green and black wire (the plug has 2 ports, but only the green wire on the one you pictured). It was often not plugged together on trucks that did not recieve a factory tach, but both halves *should* be there, somewhere. I bet the other plug is hidden under the brake booster.
Should you ever upgrade to a tach cluster, that plug will need to be connected, otherwise, it can be left alone.
FWIW, the engine harness side of that green wire plug is the main difference between I6 and V8 engine harnesses. V8 uses the black wire as an extra ground for the tach, where the I6 doesn't. The black wire grounds the "V8 corrector" built into the factory tach.

That brown wire has me curious. I wonder if it has power when the parking light circuit is in use? If it is for fog lights, I bet it doesn't, but has a matching unused plug under the dash........

The capacitor/condensor at the voltage regulator (yellow wire) was only installed on trucks that left the factory with a radio. No radio = no chance of having an alternator "buzz" thru the speaker......
Not sure about the one on the coil. It may well be the same way.
With the hundreds of photos I've taken of the work on Festus, naturally I have one from when we replaced the booster. I have scoured the area searching for the other half of that tach plug, to no avail.

And here's a wider shot showing both the tach plug and fog light connections.

Attached Images   
Old 03-14-2012, 10:09 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Somebody ping Ralph

Originally Posted by WilleyJoe.62
I have scoured the area searching for the other half of that tach plug, to no avail.
I am not sure what you're' referring to, but I can say that my truck originally didn't have a tach or gauges and I had IIRC a male connector with a black & green (or just green, ir just black, I don't remember) wire(s), the other end was at the coil (which was also connected to the module IIRC).

I at first added a factory tach, just got a matching pigtail connector from the JY and ran some wires from that connector up to the dash.

I later replaced the entire harness that had all that extra wiring already wrapped in.

And here's a wider shot showing both the tach plug and fog light connections.
I can't at all imagine that connector is in any way related to the fog lights, my suspicion is it was included with a trailer tow option or some such. Ralph would probably know for sure.

Fog light wiring....

- Brown wire supplies power to fog light switch in the cab.

- Other side of the switch has a light blue/black-stripe wire, which energizes the fog light relay.

- Said relay uses a yellow wire (Circuit 37) to power the lamps via tan/orange-stripe wires.

Source: 1981 FoMoCo Truck Wiring Diagrams Manual

Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2012, 10:14 AM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Miiiiighty interesting.

What we really need is someone to jump in here who's got that brown wire plug connected to something.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:19 AM
drumfield
Tuned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's dark out, so will have to look later.
IIRC, on my truck, that wire is used as a power source to energize the relay used for trailer clearance lights on trucks with the "tow package".

Old 03-15-2012, 07:28 AM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by drumfield
IIRC, on my truck, that wire is used as a power source to energize the relay used for trailer clearance lights on trucks with the "tow package".

We are all standing by, anxiously awaiting your report. Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 03-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
It is, as I type, getting light in the Central Time Zone. So?

Old 03-15-2012, 09:10 AM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are all standing by, anxiously awaiting your report. Inquiring minds want to know!
What he said...

Old 03-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by drumfield
That was my guess, which is why I was curious if it had power with the running lights on.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:21 PM
lavatan
Laughing Gas
*tapping foot expectantly*

Old 03-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
This has reminded me that I was supposed to confirm that the '81 wiring diagrams show a capacitor on the six as well as the eights. And, it does. It actually shows three separate distributors, one for the 6, one for the 351M/400, and one for the 302. But, it shows only one coil and one capacitor.

So, it looks like everything came w/the cap on the ignition, as well as the alternator. Granted, this doesn't prove it, but there are no notes, nada.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:51 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Mighty interesting, alright. I do love a mystery.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Don't think it is a mystery any more. Some PO or mechanic probably ditched the cap's at some point. Easy to see on the regulator as it has to come off to get the reg off since they share a screw. Don't know where the cap is for the ignition on the six, but I would think it would take some work more serious than a tuneup to make that happen.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I bet the caps were not used on trucks that didn't leave the factory equipped with a radio. No radio means no chance of getting noise from either the ignition or alternator thru the speaker.
You have to remember, a radio was NOT standard equipment back then.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:17 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Way back during the great Radio **** Debate on another thread, we deduced that my truck had come with a monoaural (monaural?) radio, as the original mounting-grounding bracket was still in the dash. The dash speaker had been removed along with the original radio. A Sanyo cassette deck had been jammed into the dash in its place, hotwired to a plug that was inserted in the cigar lighter.

Conversely, it is my considered opinion that the POs were unaware of the location and/or purpose of the hood release. To that extent, it is indeed improbable that they would have removed the capacitors.

Quick Reply: A question of 4 connections: what are they?