Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

New Carb suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Deluxetruck
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So you guys mean to suggest that installing a Holley Dominator on a stone stock Ford V8 is a bad idea? If so, then you obviously know very little about engine building. I've been talking about building engines online for years now. I pretty much know all there is to know. What you need to understand is that engines are in fact glorified air pumps. The more air you get in, the more power you make. It would then stand to reason that in order to make the most power possible, you would want the biggest carb possible. As I said, I just scroll to the bottom of the page and order the biggest one I can get. Same goes for cams. The longer you allow the cam to durate, the more air can get into the "pump". All this adds up to mo-pah! Ask yourself this; do you want to be a winner, or just an "also ran"? Only you can decide. I hate to be cliche, but go big or go home my friends. "I don't always order carbs. But when I do, I order the biggest mf'er I can find." -The most interesting internet engine builder in the world.

To the op, they make an adapter to go from a 4150 base to a dommy. They also make an adapter to run a two barrel on a 4150 style intake. Stay with me here. You can use your stock two barrel intake by following these simple steps. 1) Buy the two barrel to 4150 four barrel adapter and run it upside down on your stock intake. Then purchase the 4150 to dommi adapter, and run that upside down on top of the two barrel adapter. You now have what I call a "power funnel". Mount that dommi up high for all to see. You might have to cut a hole in the hood to make this combo fit, but that goes back to the question you need to ask yourself. Awaken your inner winner. "Dominate" your life, and the roads.

Now I know that you cannot possibly have your current carburetor rebuilt, because you are not near a carb shop. If only there were some way to get it to a place that has a carb shop, without having to actually go there yourself. It would be nice if you could find some other people in your area that are in need of moving their items in a similar direction. You could then Unite to get your Parcels Sped to said location on a truck. You could then share the cost. There might be some federal excise taxes to deal with if you have to move your items across borders. You watch, somebody will copy that idea I just had and become rich.

The Ford carbs, as with Holley's, do not have bushed throttle shaft bores. You ream them oversize and bush them back to spec. It is certainly not work best left to machinists. Holley sells a kit to do several carbs, and it's less than $100 last I checked. It is not rocket science.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:59 AM
devino246
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Deluxetruck
So you guys mean to suggest that installing a Holley Dominator on a stone stock Ford V8 is a bad idea? If so, then you obviously know very little about engine building. I've been talking about building engines online for years now. I pretty much know all there is to know. What you need to understand is that engines are in fact glorified air pumps. The more air you get in, the more power you make. It would then stand to reason that in order to make the most power possible, you would want the biggest carb possible. As I said, I just scroll to the bottom of the page and order the biggest one I can get. Same goes for cams. The longer you allow the cam to durate, the more air can get into the "pump". All this adds up to mo-pah! Ask yourself this; do you want to be a winner, or just an "also ran"? Only you can decide. I hate to be cliche, but go big or go home my friends. "I don't always order carbs. But when I do, I order the biggest mf'er I can find." -The most interesting internet engine builder in the world.

To the op, they make an adapter to go from a 4150 base to a dommy. They also make an adapter to run a two barrel on a 4150 style intake. Stay with me here. You can use your stock two barrel intake by following these simple steps. 1) Buy the two barrel to 4150 four barrel adapter and run it upside down on your stock intake. Then purchase the 4150 to dommi adapter, and run that upside down on top of the two barrel adapter. You now have what I call a "power funnel". Mount that dommi up high for all to see. You might have to cut a hole in the hood to make this combo fit, but that goes back to the question you need to ask yourself. Awaken your inner winner. "Dominate" your life, and the roads.

Now I know that you cannot possibly have your current carburetor rebuilt, because you are not near a carb shop. If only there were some way to get it to a place that has a carb shop, without having to actually go there yourself. It would be nice if you could find some other people in your area that are in need of moving their items in a similar direction. You could then Unite to get your Parcels Sped to said location on a truck. You could then share the cost. There might be some federal excise taxes to deal with if you have to move your items across borders. You watch, somebody will copy that idea I just had and become rich.

The Ford carbs, as with Holley's, do not have bushed throttle shaft bores. You ream them oversize and bush them back to spec. It is certainly not work best left to machinists. Holley sells a kit to do several carbs, and it's less than $100 last I checked. It is not rocket science.
I took the liberty of making the problematic statements red. In order:

You cannot possibly know all there is to know in any subject; there is always new and different information. Making such a ludicrious statement is ridiculous and demonstrates your ignorance.

Engines are not air pumps. Categorizing them as such leads to over-simplification of the processes which make them work. Air pumps do not have valve overlap, emissions systems, internal combustion, carbon deposits, etc. Calling an engine an air pump shows your lack of understanding for physics.

Ok, yeah, the more air you get in the more power you make; as long as the proper amount of gas is mixed with that air. A carburetor of such large capacity will see decreased air velocity through its venturi. If the air is moving too slow through the venturi, gas is not properly mixed and you end up with crappy performance.

There is no reason to suggest the largest cam possible. Too large a cam will lead to various mechanical problems and poor performance; not to mention really crappy gas mileage.

By "power funnel", I hope you mean power robbing funnel. Those adapters kill air flow.

Go big or go home? Most of us use these trucks as our daily drivers. There's absolutely no reason to spend extra money on parts that are larger than what your engine needs.

Bushing a carb is best left to a machinist. You could probably do the job at home, but your not gonna be able to drill straight. That leads to higher pressure on smaller contact points, which leads to increased wear.

Once again, I really hope you're kidding. (If you are, remember sarcasm doesn't always transmist online)

Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 AM
The John
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Deluxetruck
I hate to be cliche, but go big or go home my friends. "I don't always order carbs. But when I do, I order the biggest mf'er I can find." -The most interesting internet engine builder in the world.
That's a jewel right there.....

I have purchased and used a few of the rebuilding kits over the years, and I think the problem is well, me. I have rebuilt it enough that I think its time to either have it done by a pro, or purchase a new one. I know you can rebuild many parts thousands of times, but at some point you just keep fixing old problems.

This has been an interesting discussion, I appreciate the reply's and input. Thank you,

-John