6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 01:42 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparky83
i think theres something wrong with the acceleration device in my truck.... she keeps smoking when i push the pedal and leaving marks on the ground similar to this...

looks to be about 100' or so... Your tires hate you

Hey, that's over by my house, what the hell? Wondering who keeps lighting up the street. Must have passed the VA inspection?

Old 10-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by King-bRanch
I see nothing wrong w/that
Those Big ol' Hip's can really move
are you sure... it sounds "awful" lol

Originally Posted by WatsonR
looks to be about 100' or so... Your tires hate you

Hey, that's over by my house, what the hell? Wondering who keeps lighting up the street. Must have passed the VA inspection?
really??? was just a pic i found on the net.. havent gone to actually take pics of the ones mines made.. but you can find them on Minute man road. intersection of Jenean St and Independence Blvd... First colonial and VB blvd... and in front of nancy's nook on oceana lol

she squeeked by...

Old 10-14-2015, 04:03 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sparky83
are you sure... it sounds "awful" lol

really??? was just a pic i found on the net.. havent gone to actually take pics of the ones mines made.. but you can find them on Minute man road. intersection of Jenean St and Independence Blvd... First colonial and VB blvd... and in front of nancy's nook on oceana lol

she squeeked by...
Not really, but I had you for just a minute.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:06 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com
Hard shifting when cold can be a sign of a FICM going out, believe it or not. Have you yet checked the FICM Main Power numbers when the truck is cold?
Probably does not have the Cold Engine Strategy in his performance tune and the shifts hit hard.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:52 PM
evan1242
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Probably does not have the Cold Engine Strategy in his performance tune and the shifts hit hard.
I emailed Vivian and she said to let the trans temps get to 100° or more before taking off.
Shifted much better in the stock tune under 100° though.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:01 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by evan1242
I emailed Vivian and she said to let the trans temps get to 100° or more before taking off.
Shifted much better in the stock tune under 100° though.
When it's cold out, that mean sitting at idle for periods of time? It will be in the 40s here... and we know idling isn't that great!

Old 10-14-2015, 05:45 PM
evan1242
Elder User
Yeah I guess so. I'll probably set the block heater timer for about 1 hour before crank time.
Then increase it as it gets colder.
But still it shifts fine in the stock tune at any temp.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:04 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Yeah I guess so. I'll probably set the block heater timer for about 1 hour before crank time.
Then increase it as it gets colder.
But still it shifts fine in the stock tune at any temp.
Would think they could do the same as Ford did.... really would have thought even better. Maybe bump the pressure down a smidge for cold shifts?

Old 10-14-2015, 07:06 PM
evan1242
Elder User
Might give that a try.
It will go to shift then the RPMs will go up then it will slam into the next gear.
Give it literally 1 mile down the road and it's fine.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:14 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Might give that a try.
It will go to shift then the RPMs will go up then it will slam into the next gear.
Give it literally 1 mile down the road and it's fine.
Sounds like a flair, RPM should come out during the shift to save your tranny clutches. Shift is from 3-5? Lots of people saying that's the problem shift for them.... big flair and BAM! Why the Bulldog eats trannies, high RPM and no timing removed during the shift.

Was thinking of getting one of those. Think I'll stick with SLR Extreme, shifts are perfect hot or cold. SLR+ flared on the 3-5 shift, towing was good as well.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:01 PM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What Sean told you is correct - your FICM is indeed going out. Please do have a close and hard look at the the charging system to prevent any recurrence of the issue with a rebuilt version of your module or another one (as the case may be).

We can set you up with a replacement unit on exchange that could go out today tuned and ready to go - either with any version of Ford's software or with a PHP tune at your preference.

Alternatively and if you can afford the downtime, we can work on your unit and get a working version of yours back to you.

Sorry that you're having issues, but at least you aren't stuck giving crazy money to the dealer over it.

If you want to talk through the options, give us a shout. We're at 515-897-4459.
I will give you a call tomorrow.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:34 AM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Sounds like a flair, RPM should come out during the shift to save your tranny clutches. Shift is from 3-5? Lots of people saying that's the problem shift for them.... big flair and BAM! Why the Bulldog eats trannies, high RPM and no timing removed during the shift.

Was thinking of getting one of those. Think I'll stick with SLR Extreme, shifts are perfect hot or cold. SLR+ flared on the 3-5 shift, towing was good as well.
I need to get them on the site, but we've just recently been offering the pair of transmission solenoids that cover this weak link in our beloved Torqshifts for this very reason. Nothing like a P2703 code to ruin your whole day.

We actually offer folks the option of a 3/8" double deep aluminum transmission pan and a pleated full flow pleated filter to round things out so long as they are dropping the pan for the two minute solenoid job. Under that model, they can have decent full-flow filtration (instead of the 'screen' 6.0 owners have now), a WAY more stable transmission case through the install of the beefier pan (nothing like a cracked transmission case to ruin your whole day either), WAY better 3-5 shifting, and (likely) a transmission that will last soooo much longer.

Flowing twice the fluid to the final drive clutches in half the time can only be a good thing....

Old 10-15-2015, 01:35 AM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Corner Gas
I will give you a call tomorrow.
Sounds great! I need to pull myself off of FTE and get to bed so that I am worth something tomorrow (later today, really). What a life!

Old 10-15-2015, 02:50 AM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
I need to get them on the site, but we've just recently been offering the pair of transmission solenoids that cover this weak link in our beloved Torqshifts for this very reason. Nothing like a P2703 code to ruin your whole day.

We actually offer folks the option of a 3/8" double deep aluminum transmission pan and a pleated full flow pleated filter to round things out so long as they are dropping the pan for the two minute solenoid job. Under that model, they can have decent full-flow filtration (instead of the 'screen' 6.0 owners have now), a WAY more stable transmission case through the install of the beefier pan (nothing like a cracked transmission case to ruin your whole day either), WAY better 3-5 shifting, and (likely) a transmission that will last soooo much longer.

Flowing twice the fluid to the final drive clutches in half the time can only be a good thing....
No time like the present, heh? It's a bit ugly for right this second (no pics yet), but I just posted the new 'Product' page for those interested in prolonging the life of their Torqshift transmissions and looking to order online!

Transmission Upgrades

Old 10-15-2015, 07:52 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
ED... you need some sleep, your quoting yourself! lol

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your 6.0L today?