6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 11:16 AM
Shiloh51933
Mountain Pass
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparky83
nope.... the dealership wasnt real good at explanations... always treated me like a no-nothing-about-cars kinda customer... which tended to tick me off when dealing with them... but whatever they did worked and hasnt leaked since... i even bought the special tool for installing that stupid seal... I kept trying to ask people on the various forums about it since it was the first time dealing with a dually.. but as usual when i needed help/info everyone i knew then up and disappeared without a reply... couple of them eventually replied but by then it was like 3 weeks after i got it back from the dealer so it was pointless.. (only reason i was taking it to the dealership too was because everytime i tried to find a smaller shop like FS, Merc or places like that "we cant handle something that big...")

first time i thought i just hammered it in too hard (like driving it in with 1 or 2 hits with the mallet kinda hard)... test driving ended up coating the underside of the truck and drum brakes in gear oil... so the second time i tried lightly tapping it in... with everything cleaned off the test drive did the same thing but also had a puddle under the truck after it was parked for a few mins... 3rd time i looked for burs and other crap despite doing the light sanding and emery cloth stuff the prior times... when it leaked again i was just fed up and took it in to let someone else deal with it... at $30 a seal i was fed up..

when i got it back i was really annoyed they backed off the parking brake to the point it wouldnt touch the drum even when set and never adjusted it back.. which i need to do some more adjustments on that again...
Some dealerships don't like to voluntarily give away tech information unless the customer is adamant about the workmanship of there vehicles. The customer usually speaks with a service advisor/writer and they normally don't really know the details of repair or service. If the seal was properly seated it shouldn't leak unless the race had an issue.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:33 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiloh51933
Some dealerships don't like to voluntarily give away tech information unless the customer is adamant about the workmanship of there vehicles. The customer usually speaks with a service advisor/writer and they normally don't really know the details of repair or service. If the seal was properly seated it shouldn't leak unless the race had an issue.
they were pretty much just a bodypart we cant name on the site because of the censors.. lol... Like when i took it in to have the carrier bearing replaced (had a warranty at the time)... i told them the carrier bearing was bad... i pretty much got the response of "yeah right ... the carrier bearings bad... how do you know that??".... pretty much was trying to tell me to take it home and drive it as there was no possible chance it was bad without even looking at it... i had to get him to get his fat butt under the truck to look at it and first thing he asked was "how do you know its bad".... i just reached up, grabbed the shaft and shook it around... i could move it completely from one side of the outer shell to the other side easily... was only then he was like "well i guess its bad... " with a snarky attitude about it...

technically i would have rather taken it to the dealership that was closer to the house and on my way home.. but their service dept really sucked and incompetent in their work... the work that dealership did i had to have completely redone again by the bad attitude one (which they did it right)... ntm was downright dangerous too.. when i got home i went over the truck since i had a trip i needed it for in the next couple days and found all the lugnuts loose on the tires THEY HAD OFF!!!! like i could remove them with my fingers kinda loose... was surprised i didnt have an accident on the way home...

Old 04-11-2019, 05:06 PM
Severely confused
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Severely confused

I used mine for target practice with some friends then took the backhoe dug a big hole and shoved what was left of the truck into the hole and buried it. Then went and bought another one.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:09 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,407 Posts
You guys are talking about these, right?

We popped these in all the time, on from Class 3 to 8. As long as its the right seal tool they hammer right in, you just have to make sure you are doing it perpendicular.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:15 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
yup thats the one jack....

tool i bought just for doing that stupid seal... got 2 sides... cant remember if both sides were the same or one side was slightly smaller.... but remember the seal fit perfectly inside it with no problems...

Old 04-11-2019, 07:27 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,407 Posts
I’m trying to remember if the one for that hub had a lip on the side to limit the insertion, or if we just went to an inner lip that the seal stopped at.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:32 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
IIRC it has a small ridge the outer ring of the seals supposed to seat down onto inside the hub unit...

Old 04-12-2019, 08:48 AM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I have found that most of the time if the new seal leaks it was damaged when putting the hub back on the spindle. Those threads really can do a number on a seal in a hurry.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:59 PM
caddy013
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked this beauty up from the machine shop today :)

In the middle of EGR and oil cooler replacement (slow and steady). Intake was super caked with wet, greasy looking/feeling soot, so I took it in to have it cleaned. Best $31 I’ve spent on the truck so far probably

Old 04-13-2019, 01:39 PM
HTM101
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Downloaded Forscan lite in my Android phone, easy connection with OBDII. Then downloaded Forscan for Windows in my laptop. Not an easy setup, mostly because I stumble through computer-speak info, but eventually I get where I need to be.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:41 PM
Motohead911
Laughing Gas
Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts
Just did an oil change, used Triax Fleet Supreme 5w-40, and oem filter. Sent a sample of my old oil off the Blackstone for analysis

Old 04-15-2019, 02:16 AM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Continuing the electrical system upgrade and maintenance project going into week 2 now..... Also noticed my egr valve is still unplugged after 4 months now when I unplugged it one night for whatever reason. Doesn't seem to hurt or help anything having it so I'll leave it off and keep 1000* gasses away from my coolant. Still need to reinstall the muffler tailpipe combo so I can get new state tags but that whistle though.....

Old 04-15-2019, 06:49 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,735 Posts
Originally Posted by Cruiseomatic
Continuing the electrical system upgrade and maintenance project going into week 2 now..... Also noticed my egr valve is still unplugged after 4 months now when I unplugged it one night for whatever reason. Doesn't seem to hurt or help anything having it so I'll leave it off and keep 1000* gasses away from my coolant. Still need to reinstall the muffler tailpipe combo so I can get new state tags but that whistle though.....
The EGR valve can still be forced open even with it unplugged.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:31 AM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
also being unplugged does not keep hot exhaust out of the EGR cooler

Old 04-15-2019, 09:55 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
The EGR valve can still be forced open even with it unplugged.
Correct

Originally Posted by jetjockey99
also being unplugged does not keep hot exhaust out of the EGR cooler
It keeps it out of the Intake manifold, but if anything, reduces the amount that gets in.

I'm about to do an EGR delete tonight, I'll post pics of the intake manifold. Stock 2004 Excursion.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your 6.0L today?