6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 07:24 PM
amthatiam
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a Revelco device installed today, give a bit of peace of mind. Yesterday removed right rear caliper due it sticking and greased the pins, will do the rest this weekend.

Dan

Old 09-24-2018, 09:40 PM
markw365
Senior User
Received my cat back exhaust from ficmrepair.com today 4" stainless MBRP with muffler. It is going on Wednesday as that's when the lift is available. Also harpooned the tank, wife should no longer complain about long fueling stops on our trips. The list of stuff to repair/replace is getting pretty short. Still contemplating LED lights/upgrades there.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:05 AM
Turd-250
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by markw365
Received my cat back exhaust from ficmrepair.com today 4" stainless MBRP with muffler. It is going on Wednesday as that's when the lift is available. Also harpooned the tank, wife should no longer complain about long fueling stops on our trips. The list of stuff to repair/replace is getting pretty short. Still contemplating LED lights/upgrades there.
i'd love to hear your thoughts after you get it installed! i'm relatively interested in the very same product, just have to do a couple other things first......number one being the ficm, main power voltage dropped way off since my last reading of it

Old 09-25-2018, 09:09 AM
Turd-250
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com

We’re all in this together!!
glad you prompted me to test my ficm. last winter i replaced batteries and ficm was good. now its showing 31V at idle immediately after startup. increases to low 40's with rpms around 1500. never saw it get about 42V. hoping that tomorrow i can pull that sucker out!

Old 09-25-2018, 09:29 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 224 Likes on 149 Posts
While towing my car hauler a 7.3L owner couldn't believe my Ex wasn't "Bulletproofed". I told him I am not running any adders and I have done everything I can think of to keep the engine happy.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:00 AM
namnguye
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
I was just looking around for 6.0l trucks. Just happen to see alot of decent price 04 trucks. I wonder if the changes from 04 vs later years would have people stay away. What do you think? Do you stay away from 04 trucks because of those reasons?

I know many parts are not interchangeable, and even they're in different places (ICP, high pressure oil rail, to name a few).

On an unrelated note, this thread has so much good information. However, searching for something, it would show up the thread, but I don't know which page the information it's in. So there is no way for me (that I know) to get to that.

Then another thought, I have been lately looking into the clone VCM 2 as another tool for my 6.0l. I read that it would help to get version 84 of the IDS. Some ebay listing also said not to support super duty trucks. Is it worth it to get it given the hassle? Sean, I heard you were the expert on this, any advise?

Old 09-25-2018, 10:21 AM
Turd-250
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by namnguye
I was just looking around for 6.0l trucks. Just happen to see alot of decent price 04 trucks. I wonder if the changes from 04 vs later years would have people stay away. What do you think? Do you stay away from 04 trucks because of those reasons?

I know many parts are not interchangeable, and even they're in different places (ICP, high pressure oil rail, to name a few).

On an unrelated note, this thread has so much good information. However, searching for something, it would show up the thread, but I don't know which page the information it's in. So there is no way for me (that I know) to get to that.

Then another thought, I have been lately looking into the clone VCM 2 as another tool for my 6.0l. I read that it would help to get version 84 of the IDS. Some ebay listing also said not to support super duty trucks. Is it worth it to get it given the hassle? Sean, I heard you were the expert on this, any advise?
i passed up 03-04 6.0s because at that time I only really knew about the actaul HPOP (pump itself) issues being in the early ones and not in the later ones. that & i like the front clip on the 05-07s
oh how ignorant i was lol... every day for months while reading on forums i would start to see the reality

Old 09-25-2018, 12:02 PM
MTlariat
Freshman User
Retractable Runnung Boards

Finished installing new retractable running boards!

Old 09-25-2018, 01:27 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
While towing my car hauler a 7.3L owner couldn't believe my Ex wasn't "Bulletproofed". I told him I am not running any adders and I have done everything I can think of to keep the engine happy.
Hey, if it keeps the prices down on used trucks, all the better for us!

I got by '04 for a screaming deal because it needed to be repaired.

Stewart

Old 09-25-2018, 03:43 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

IDS v86.xx gets along well with out trucks and does not have the hassles of the later versions.
Anything else we have to take to PM.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:00 PM
namnguye
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Yahiko
IDS v86.xx gets along well with out trucks and does not have the hassles of the later versions.
Anything else we have to take to PM.
Thanks Sean

Old 09-25-2018, 05:02 PM
namnguye
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Hey, if it keeps the prices down on used trucks, all the better for us!

I got by '04 for a screaming deal because it needed to be repaired.

Stewart
Awsome Stewart. Somehow I missed that.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:19 PM
amthatiam
Tuned
This afternoon I installed the 6.4L pan and filter, replaced the toilet paper filter, changed the fluid using the cold flush in the tech folder. Certainly a gentleman's way to change the fluid. Glad I read through the whole post regarding doing the fluid swap that way otherwise I would not have seen that the tubing needed had to be 1" O.D. instead of the 3/4" mentioned in the video, no extra trip to the depot. Also changed out the transfer case fluid while I was down there. During the test drive afterwards it shifts smoother, no clue how old the fluid was. Today for whatever reason it was spill oil day, No matter what I touched some of it spilled, some on the floor, some down over the fan shroud, some more on the floor....lol....I finally had to start laughing at myself instead of getting pissed. One of those days, normally I don't spill much if at all....

Dan

Old 09-25-2018, 08:33 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Try being in a rush for a 1100 mile trip the night before and sticking the funnel not into the oil fill tube but right next to it.
I am just glad that it was a quart and not the 2.5 gallon bottle. I think I realized what I had done about 1/2~3/4 a quart into it.
Move the funnel and finished up and then went to cleaning up the mess. Sprayed some oil and grease removes on the top
of the engine and gave it a good rinse. The mess on the driveway took a while to go away. I got to smell oil for about the first 100 Miles.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:45 PM
amthatiam
Tuned
Too funny Sean, I was using a one gallon jug to top off the trans after the flush, I set it down on the passenger side battery and it tipped over and spilled about a good half a quart all down the shroud to the floor. When I was running the engine to suck the fluid into the trans I was watching the bucket and not under the truck, the old fluid over filled the trans pan and spilled another half a quart or so, then when poring the old oil into one of my old oil storage cans that spilled also....it went on like that for a bit more....just had to shake my head and laugh....

Dan

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your 6.0L today?