1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

T-500 & Turbo Conversion Issues... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation T-500 & Turbo Conversion Issues... HELP!

So, we bagged the T-500 install yesterday.

One of the bolts on the backside of the stock HPOP is stripped. The one by the IPR. That rounded off bold really gave us no option but to bag the install for the day.

We did do the turbo conversion and guess what. . . More problems.

I can hear that I have some sort of leak. WOT only builds 7 lbs of boost.

When I got the turbo from Palmer, I didn't get a gasket to go between the spider and the turbo. It is straight metal to metal with a v band clamp on it right now and palmer said that it didn't have a gasket on it when he took it off and it worked fine on his truck. I think that is strange. My E99 turbo had a gasket there so I am going to go to napa and see if they have one that could fit. Thinking this may be the issue.

Also, i accidentally ordered my bellowed uppipes drilled and tapped like an idiot haha. Already had a pyro tapped so I dont know what I was thinking. But we plugged it up with a bolt and when I put my hand next to it I dont feel any air coming out.

I will also check the Clamp from the baby's butt to the turbo and the one connecting the downpipe.

My truck is a slug ....

Any help would be appreciated. With either problem. I definitely want to get this turbo up to snuff before attacking that bolt again for the T-500 install.

And btw. My father was the only previous owner of this truck and I know that he did not replace the HPOP personally. Perhaps they could have done some warranty work on it and someone could have overtightened it, but we tried everything.

Thanks,

Bryce

Old 03-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is an o ring that goes inbetween the turbo and spider. Dieselorings.com has them.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Found an o-ring that fit at the auto parts store. Sealed it up really nice. Still having boost issue. Im thinking maybe the baby butt connection to the turbo. It smelled a little like exhaust under the hood when i had Bryant give it a little fuel last night so that would make sense.

In the cab is sure sounds like the hissing noise is coming from right behind the dash.

The way I see it there is 8 connections on the turbo that could cause leakage

IC pipe connections (2), Plenum Connections (2), Intake side of turbo (1), Spyder to Turbo connection (1), Babys butt connection (1), Downpipe Connection (1).

Brand new set of riffraff boots to rule out IC pipes and plenums. Checked the intake clamp on the turbo and it is tight, Just installed O-ring from spyder to turbo.

I dont think that the downpipe connection would really affect the boost build up.

So that leaves the baby's butt to turbo connection, the baby butt to uppipe connections, the bottom of uppipes connection, and that dang drilled and tapped hole that we plugged (dont think this one is the issue).

I just want this to be fixed so I can actually try out my turbo and move onto the stripped bolt for the stock HPOP

Old 03-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
And what about the wastegate? What if it is just set super low and not allowing spool up. How do I adjust it?

Old 03-11-2012, 06:55 PM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Bryce, it can be difficult to connect the turbo to the uppipe collector(babybutt). dont tighten everything down until you have that tightened and sealed up, then go to everything else.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:06 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
You should make a boost leak detector. If your only making 7 pounds of boos you habe A LOT of leaks or some REALLY big ones. Dont forget to check the orange boots under the intake they can be a royal pain to line up and get tight

Old 03-11-2012, 07:29 PM
BlueScab
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make shure the pin in the babys butt collector slips into the hole in the collector on the backside of the turbo. Mine didn't seat and the clamp ended up crooked. Would barely build 5 psi. I stuffed my cellphone back behind the turbo and took a pic. I could clearly see that they weren't lined up then.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:36 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A Mirror and a flashlight should tell you if the up-pipe connection is on the turbo or not. You should be able to see the flanges fit tightly together through the gaps in the clamp.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:33 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bryce didn't you change to Turbonetics or an S series turbo with either a T4 or T4i flange? Did you do up pipes and all, or just the "baby's butt" collector?

For the HPOP bolt, a set of Bolt extractors would probably help, they go around the head with spiral threads to cut into the flats. Irwin tools are the set I have named "Bolt Grip" they work really well.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:18 PM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont think a bolt will work in ur up pipes
the threaded hole for an egt gauge is usually NPT in either 1/8" or 1/4"
you will need a pipe plug for it to seal properly
also use some high temp thread lock on it to seal it ... good for high temp and high psi

Old 03-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by BlueScab
Make shure the pin in the babys butt collector slips into the hole in the collector on the backside of the turbo. Mine didn't seat and the clamp ended up crooked. Would barely build 5 psi. I stuffed my cellphone back behind the turbo and took a pic. I could clearly see that they weren't lined up then.
That is exactly what happened! After my last post I went out and started in on it.

Investigated with a flashlight and noticed some soot on the threads of the t bolt clamp for the Baby butt connection.

It was very difficult to get to it with everything all put together but I managed to squeeze my head into the little space available to work on it after taking out the intake tubing.

It looked like the clamp was crooked so I investigated. Sure enough the connection wasn't flush.

I ended up having to loosen the bottom uppipe bolts on the passenger side and completely remove the bottom bolts on the drivers side. Hopped back up top and worked through a session of hail and a session of sideways snow. Finally got it flush by wedging a roll of tape behind the pipe to keep it seated while I got the clamp situated. Had to coax the bottom of the uppipe on the driver side a bit to get it to bolt on straight but the moral is, its all working perfect !!

I can tell this turbo could handle more fuel but dang! It pulls like crazy! It has this lower tone howl when its spooling which is enjoyable, and with the automatic and the tuning, I stay into the boost easily. I'm surprised at the speed of the spool up too.

I'm pushing about 18 lbs of boost at WOT. If I remember correctly, Palmer had it pushing around 25 on his 140cc stock sticks. Think I need to adjust the wastegate? or is it just my baby 130cc sticks?

Cant wait to take this thing over the pass and see how it pulls a steep grade at 75.

EGT's are definately more responsive. They fall really fast.

Anyways. Thanks for all the help on that one guys.

Now I can focus on that dang stripped out bolt on my HPOP

Old 03-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
Bryce didn't you change to Turbonetics or an S series turbo with either a T4 or T4i flange? Did you do up pipes and all, or just the "baby's butt" collector?

For the HPOP bolt, a set of Bolt extractors would probably help, they go around the head with spiral threads to cut into the flats. Irwin tools are the set I have named "Bolt Grip" they work really well.
Went to the turbonetics. Complete Conversion.

Pics

Look at how small that E99 turbo looks !

BIG THANKS TO RIFFRAFF AND TERMINATOR FOR THE PARTS ! ! !

THANKS GUYS ! ! !

T-500 will go in as soon as I can figure out that stripped HPOP bolt

Old 03-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
What HPOP bolt did you strip?

Old 03-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
This one ...

Old 03-12-2012, 02:21 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a good 10mm 6 point and a hammer. I did the same on one front cover bolt. There was just enough for it to catch.

Quick Reply: T-500 & Turbo Conversion Issues... HELP!