6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Are you sure your Insurance Company will cover a HPFP failure - Mine WON'T

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure your Insurance Company will cover a HPFP failure - Mine WON'T

So...

I happend to be speaking to my Insurance Agent yesterday and asked him if his company would cover a claim on a HPFP Failure. I gave him the link to Bugs49's HPFP failure link and he (and one of his adjustor's) to research what happened to Bugs49, Rickatic, etc.

My insurance company's (a well known National company) first reaction was, "This is a Ford Mechanical Failure and should be covered under Ford's Warranty (or extended warranty) and would NOT be covered by your comprehensive policy".

An interesting side bar discussion was the fact that when I mentioned to my agent that I put a locking fuel door on my truck to prevent potential external fuel contamination. He told me that this was good input and would help them to rule out external contamination or vandalism (another reason not to cover it under my comprehensive plan).

I am not trying to stir up anything or beat an already well decomposed horse, but I just thought I would share what my insurance company's response was with the group (SEE BELOW).

Again, your chances of getting struck by lightning may be higher than having a catostrophic HPFP failure. However, it may not be as easy and simple as filing a comprehensive claim with your insurance company. More like a good old fashioned "Tinkle Match"

All I can say is keep using the PM-22A on every fuel fill and hope you are not one of the very unlucky few who have experienced the catastrophic HPFP failure.

Have a great day!

"Statistics are just statistics until it happens to you"

RESPONSE FROM MY INSURANCE COMPANY:

Although there’s arguably no such thing as “full coverage,” many consumers use this term to refer to a policy that both meets state requirements and includes protection for the insured car’s own physical damages, which are called comp and collision. Whether issues with mechanical parts will be covered under a car insurance policy depends on what caused the problem.

For example, if the issue is solely mechanical and not the result of an accident, it won't be covered and the vehicle owner would need to have a warranty or mechanical breakdown insurance policy to pay for the expenses.

But mechanical problems can be covered in certain situations. If the damage occurred in a traffic accident caused by a third party, and they are insured, their property damage liability protection will pay for the damages. If the insured is at fault, collision auto insurance coverage would need to be in place for the damage to be covered. Comprehensive coverage would pay for repairs that are caused by something other than a collision, such as a falling tree limb, contact with an animal, or theft.

It’s not out of the ordinary for a vehicle to sustain mechanical damage after an accident. With most engines located in the front of vehicles, a front-end impact will often damage some of the components responsible for the operation of the automobile. One of the more common items damaged in front-end collisions is the radiator, which will need to be replaced.

Also, a vehicle struck in the front may also need a new condenser for the air conditioner. In order to install a condenser, a mechanic would need to perform an "evacuate and recharge" and recover the refrigerant. This procedure can cost over $300 without adding the cost of parts. But if this happened because of an accident, it would be covered under the insurance.

It is safe to assume that almost anything under the hood of a vehicle would be considered a mechanical part. An alternator, fans, belts, hoses, and, of course, the engine would all need to be repaired by a mechanic. These types of repairs are typically more costly than auto body work because the hourly rate for "mechanical" labor is more than “body” labor—sometimes substantially more. Fortunately, if it’s caused by a traffic-related accident and the proper coverage is in place, it will be covered.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 03-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Even though I am in the 6.2

- while negotiating with my insurance people - Personal & business - I asked the lady about the coverage of water in fuel damage to a diesel - (in case I switched to a diesel soon) - She said that the three national auto insurance companies (that they buy from like: travellers, Safeco, etc) would deny for water in fuel UNLESS it was vandalism..

Her husband has a diesel and had questioned her about it so she had already researched it.
She said she would submit a claim but expected that it would be denied..

I don't have a dog in this fight - but I guess I would have her look for/find a company that would cover it if I changed to a diesel..

Old 03-08-2012, 11:30 AM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if Geico covers it under the new vehicle warranty part of the coverage, rather than the comprehensive policy?

Old 03-08-2012, 11:39 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
This from my insurance company:

"Engine damage due to fuel contamination is a covered risk under the comprehensive portion of your policy. A claim would only be considered however if a qualified service repair order clearly identified the cause of the failure as fuel contamination and after a reasonable attempt to recover damages from the fuel supplier has been made."

Might take a little leg work on my part but would be worth it in the highly unlikely event of HPFP failure due to fuel contamination. Now where is that restful sleeping emoticon..."

Old 03-08-2012, 01:19 PM
jlalanas
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
This from my insurance company:

"Engine damage due to fuel contamination is a covered risk under the comprehensive portion of your policy. A claim would only be considered however if a qualified service repair order clearly identified the cause of the failure as fuel contamination and after a reasonable attempt to recover damages from the fuel supplier has been made."

Might take a little leg work on my part but would be worth it in the highly unlikely event of HPFP failure due to fuel contamination. Now where is that restful sleeping emoticon..."
Would you mind sharing what insurance company that is?

Old 03-08-2012, 02:14 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Here Epic...choose the one you like the best.

I personally like the last one...lol

Old 03-08-2012, 02:23 PM
SVT-F100
Tuned

Originally Posted by jlalanas
Yes please share

Old 03-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Originally Posted by PrinceValium

Good Ones!!! I too like the last one! I sleep like that except i think of 6x6 bull elk

Old 03-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Shepardsonp
Good Ones!!! I too like the last one! I sleep like that except i think of 6x6 bull elk
Bull Elk is a good one - But he wouldn't look as good as the one that I was thinking of in a bikini...

Old 03-08-2012, 03:00 PM
huntindog
Senior User

Like this? Sorry it's a 6x7.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Originally Posted by huntindog

Like this? Sorry it's a 6x7.
Lucky you got him with that shot placement!! Looks pretty far back

Old 03-08-2012, 03:39 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jlalanas
Originally Posted by SVT-F100
Yes please share
Farmers in Utah. I doubt I have to say this but, half of the battle is the WAY you communicate with people when you want them to give you something. The first time I asked if a failed fuel pump would be covered they said no of course.

If you just help the adjuster understand the cause of the damage (whether malicious or negligent), is beyond your control and has the ultimate effect of damaging your insured vehicle, they can interpret comprehensive coverage in your favor. They are very unlikely to respond to screaming, yelling or threatening to change companies. It's an art fellas, you just have to make them want to give you what you want.

Originally Posted by PrinceValium

I like those!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:16 PM
huntindog
Senior User
That's my wife's archery bull. The entry hole is decieving. Where it enters is not as important as what it hits. The shot angled thru both lungs. He went about 70 yards. His cows wouldn't leave him for quite awhile. It was a 15 yard shot at a herd bull...He was actually trying to woo a cow when she shot him. 55" main beams and a 42" inside spread.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's funny how any mention of hunting can bring a thread to a screeching halt.
Would you guys/gals please staying on topic!

Oh my.....huntindog that bull is awesome! I just notice the picture and.....that thing is huge! Very nice, where did you get him. Your gonna need a three story room for that mount. I would love to go Elk hunting some day but I just can't find the time or a tag! Anyway, what were we talking about.......

Old 03-08-2012, 05:32 PM
huntindog
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tomahawk
It's funny how any mention of hunting can bring a thread to a screeching halt.
Would you guys/gals please staying on topic!

Oh my.....huntindog that bull is awesome! I just notice the picture and.....that thing is huge! Very nice, where did you get him. Your gonna need a three story room for that mount. I would love to go Elk hunting some day but I just can't find the time or a tag! Anyway, what were we talking about.......
We have a sunken living room, so that helps. He still is so low on the wall and sticks out so much that he pretty much dominates the room. The taxidermist had to rotate the antlers upwards so that they would just barely clear the wall.

He is a Arizona bull from the central part of the state.

Oh yeah, insurance... I have some

Quick Reply: Are you sure your Insurance Company will cover a HPFP failure - Mine WON'T