1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security spikes damaged my tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 02:27 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did have a vehicle damaged by a public road once. It was a giant pothole, filled with water so i didn't know how bad it was. It bent the rim really bad and damaged the tire. They paid for the repair, and fixed the pot hole within hours.

A low ride car is different, you modified it in a way that made it more susceptible to damage than stock.

A big truck with big tires, as long as they are real tires, and not tractor tires or something, should not be susceptible to damage more than stock, unless you factor in the softness of the rubber.
And soft rubber comes in all sizes, so thats not going to work.

Unless they have a sign warning about large tires, or soft rubber, theres a design flaw with the system and I'd jump at them in a second.

If they have cameras or reports of speeding over the unit over the proper speed, they have an out, they can just say that its your fault.

Are you sure you weren't spinning the tires or something driving over the things?

Last edited by powerstroke72; 03-08-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: remove quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:30 PM
2004SUPERDUTY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this seems no different to me than a parking garage that has signs limiting the height of a vehicle.. if there were no signs and you damage your vehicle then i would think they would be liable... if there were no signs indicating that very large tires maybe damaged then i would think whoever makes the security spikes would be liable they should make sure that it works for all street legal tires.. i find it hard to believe that this has not happened before.. he is driving a vehicle that has street legal tires.. does not matter if his truck is 15 feet tall or 5 feet tall..

Old 03-08-2012, 02:33 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by shorebird
And almost all private properties have a disclaimer posted as to not being responsible for damages to your stuff.

Look around you will see it!

Yes those are handy, but they are not an "end all" for every situation.

Those are intended for 3rd part damage.

Just cause the sign is there, doesn't end every situation there could ever be.

For EG, if there was a sign like that at a paint factory parking lot, and paint spray accidentally carried in the air and damaged your vehicle, doesnt mean you can't go after them.

Just as if a company installs a device which malfunctions, causing damage to personal property.

If you didn't use the correct speed, or there is a "no trucks" sign, or some other reason they can throw at you, there could be trouble doing anything.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:37 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,459 Likes on 1,041 Posts
Was just reading this..I see no one has put forth an idea of an alternate entrance/exit for the complex? Aside from driving over bushes and stuff.

So is there an alternative entrance exit that you could be granted?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:05 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by GeneLaw1
It is EXACTLY like a lowered vehicle. It is the other end of the spectrum. 49" tires with like 2 ft of lift!? This problem pretty much shows they are more prone to damage.
Regardless of what vehicle it is at all, because the vehicle is not damaged, the tires are.

The tires are highway approved, real tires, meant for street use. So how can you have a product in use, that damages them, and say it was because of a vehicle modification?

It was not any modification that caused damage, it was the size or style of tire. And that tire is a legal street use tire, so what part of this equation is left?

There are 3 outcomes:

1. Spike system not designed to handle truck / larger tires, should have sign.

2. Spike system not maintained properly, did not operate correctly.

3. Driver did not drive across properly.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:23 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
...If I seen spikes like that, I'd immediately be thinking either how to destroy them, or how to drive around them and tear up grass. Because someone wanted so bad for me to not drive the wrong way there, I'd want to drive the wrong way there.
I assumed that the reason for the spikes was that the apartment complex had secured parking, to protect the residents. Probably a passcode to enter, and spikes on the exit as a convenience for the residents to exit. All of this is to protect the residents, not to control them. Of course I could be wrong.

It would be fun if this went to small claims court. I would love to see the look on the judges face when he sees a picture of the truck.

In before the lock!

Old 03-08-2012, 03:28 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I actually have a funny story about these tire spikes.

About 10 years ago I worked for a security company and one of the places I worked was in the car rental ramp at the MSP airport. They had spikes like these at the entrance and at the exit they had a gate arm and spikes that would retract when the gate opened and came back out of the ground when the gate was closed.

My job was to check out cars that customers were leaving with and ones that employees were taking out for service and cleaning. Basically I just scanned a barcode sticker on the car and the customer's contract or the employee's ID badge. One day, an employee pulled up so I scanned the barcode on the car and his badge and he started driving away before I opened the gate. He went through the gate, breaking it off and the spikes flattened all 4 tires.

Then the idiot tried to blame it on me by saying that I was supposed to open the gate when they pulled up instead of after I scanned the car and their ID. That would kind of defeat the purpose of having the gate and spikes.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:40 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
This one's on its way downhill quickly.

We don't discuss legal advice, lawsuits, advocating damage to public or private property, or any of the other forbidden subjects that have made their way into this thread.

Most all of you have been on FTE long enough to know this so let's keep it in mind from this point forward.

This thread, as Tom previously mentioned, is about the damage to the tires from the spikes. If he wants legal advice, the yellow pages are full of places he can contact that don't include FTE.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:52 AM
PAf250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't post on here or any of the other forums very often because I am not a mechanic. So most times I can't really help people, and am a little worried that I may tell people the wrong thing. I would feel very bad if I told somebody something wrong. But I do get on here almost every day and look around the 6.0L and Heavy Duty sections to learn things about my truck.

Where is the cutoff between people giving legal advice, and just ordinary common sense advice? I understand not hosting a thread where someone is trying to organize some type of lawsuit against someone, or if a lawyer is on here receiving payment for advice. I don't personally see anything in this tread I would consider more then advice on how to solve, or dispute this guy's problem.

You could say that any advice about any law would be "Legal" advice.

Should any thread with any of the following phrases be deleted?

"EGR deletes are only legal on off-road vehicles" LEGAL ADVICE
"It is illegal to run off-road (red fuel) in your truck if it is used on the road" LEGAL ADVICE
"Removing your Cat is technically illegal" LEGAL ADVICE
"Venting your crankcase to the atmosphere is illegal" LEGAL ADVICE

Someone could kill a lot of useful help on this forum.

P.S. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, or anger anyone. I just had to get my opinion in.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by PAf250
I don't post on here or any of the other forums very often because I am not a mechanic. So most times I can't really help people, and am a little worried that I may tell people the wrong thing. I would feel very bad if I told somebody something wrong. But I do get on here almost every day and look around the 6.0L and Heavy Duty sections to learn things about my truck.

Where is the cutoff between people giving legal advice, and just ordinary common sense advice? I understand not hosting a thread where someone is trying to organize some type of lawsuit against someone, or if a lawyer is on here receiving payment for advice. I don't personally see anything in this tread I would consider more then advice on how to solve, or dispute this guy's problem.

You could say that any advice about any law would be "Legal" advice.

Should any thread with any of the following phrases be deleted?

"EGR deletes are only legal on off-road vehicles" LEGAL ADVICE
"It is illegal to run off-road (red fuel) in your truck if it is used on the road" LEGAL ADVICE
"Removing your Cat is technically illegal" LEGAL ADVICE
"Venting your crankcase to the atmosphere is illegal" LEGAL ADVICE

Someone could kill a lot of useful help on this forum.

P.S. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, or anger anyone. I just had to get my opinion in.
What you are not seeing are the posts that have been deleted that specifically talk about lawsuits and suing people, businesses, etc. You also don't see a removed post talking about purposely damaging the property of others.

Had the context of the posts in question been as simple as those you posted above, they would have remained. The FTE Guidelines clearly say:

Removal of Users and/or Posts. We reserve the right to remove any user or post from our forums for any reason, with or without prior warning. If your account is suspended, any re-registration on your part will be considered harassment and will be followed by contacting your ISP and local law enforcement if required.

And:

8. Legal Actions.
  • You may not use this site to discuss or organize any legal action including, but not limited to, class-actions. FTE does not give legal advice or host legal discussion. If you have any legal questions or concerns, please consult your attorney.
  • You may not create posts or threads which discuss or request by-passing payment of online services including, but not limited to, Carfax reports.
Pretty clearly stated.

That said, this is an enthusiasts forum and while we try to allow some latitude, we also have to adhere to and enforce these guidelines.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:25 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
You also don't see a removed post talking about purposely damaging the property of others.
I assume you are talking about my comment. Sorry, I totally meant that as a joke and said I wouldn't really do that. I wouldn't actually want someone to go out and damage someone else's property. I understand why you had to remove it though.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:31 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by kd0axs
I assume you are talking about my comment. Sorry, I totally meant that as a joke and said I wouldn't really do that. I wouldn't actually want someone to go out and damage someone else's property. I understand why you had to remove it though.
Actually it was a different post....not yours but thanks for that.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:39 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
Actually it was a different post....not yours but thanks for that.
Oh, I guess mine wasn't deleted, I thought it was.