Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

AE (AutoEnginuity) Beginner-Advanced!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:06 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tugly, are you running AE on a netbook? Do you have it plugged in to a 120V AC source when running your AE on your truck?

Old 05-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by mechelement
Tugly, are you running AE on a netbook? Do you have it plugged in to a 120V AC source when running your AE on your truck?
For the long runs, yes... but 120 volt AC inverter cannot have a ground connection to the netbook power supply (refer to warings on the AE website). I just did a 6-hour run yesterday with AE recording performance. I posted the link to the AC inverter I use somewhere, but it's before my coffee right now and I can't remember where I put it. A search will likely yield this info. Bigger laptops frequently need more power and my non-ground inverter might not be powerful enough for those... shopping around may be necessary. As for the computer - the simpler, smaller, and less demanding on juice, the better. I have a 10.4" display netbook with an Atom processor and a 17" display laptop with an i7 processor and there is no difference in the data collected by the units. The netbook takes care of business without hogging my center console or needing the bigger AC power.

I am gearing up for another write-up after the holiday because all my mods have yielded some interesting results that I find very gratifying.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:59 AM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
I use a 10" netbook also (mini Acer). When in live data I can only use six drop downs, my screen doesn't let me use the bottom three, even if I close the toolbars

Here's my mount, I modified it to fit into the dash pocket along with the satellite radio instead of bolting it to the floor. In the pics it looks like it blocks access to the dash, but you can still get to everything behind the netbook.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I get the full screen on mine but I did two more things you haven't done yet:
  1. Set your task bar on Windows to "auto-hide".
  2. Remove one more menu from the top of the AE software.
Another item, I set everything from the "Live Data Grid" tab, just click them in the sequence that you want them displayed on the "Live Data Meter" tab. If you set correct maximums on the data grid tab, the meters will change color when nearing max. Example: RPM should have a max of 3500 because these 7.3s won't go over that. Higher Rs will turn yellow, then red at WOT for a fast reference without watching the screen.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:13 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
bigb56, your netbook mount system is nice!

I have an EeePC, but it's running Linux. The screen sucks and I think it's too small, plus the OS compatibility issue.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:07 PM
GoCamping
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly

That is precisely what I'm already doing. My netbook doesn't even have a disk drive, I just copied the disk to a USB drive and onto the netbook. I have used my activation code on my 3 laptops and I just keep the dongle with the vehicle.
Cool thanks Tugly! Nice when someone else has already tried something I was thinking about

Old 05-30-2012, 01:11 AM
ajohansson
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I got my AE back up. I sent in the proline and got it back with the version 10 dongle. Still had same issue. It would show up in the device manager as an HID device but would not connect. Called AE they said to check another computer by just trying to update the firmware and sure as ****** it worked so it was my laptop that was the issue not the proline. So Im running a virtual windows 7 on my mac using VMWARE Fusion. It has always worked so I was trying to figure out WTF had changed. SO I do all these searches on USB and HID and yada yada i come across a thread on this very issue and the remedy was to power off laptop for 5 minutes and unplug it too. I should say the battery on my macbook pro is amazing I hardly ever have had it shut off for lack of battery even sitting in my truck for a few days in sleep mode. The article references Something like even though its off its not really off if its plugged in and it needs to reset the USB ports. So I did that and tried to start VMWARE when I turned it back on and i get this error saying I can't start vmware for all these weird reasons. Now I'm super pissed off. So I do an update on vmware, restart the computer, re start up vmware and it works just fine now. So I didn't have a scrambled connector just a scrambled computer. I don't know if it was the powering it off for 5 minutes or the update or both but just happy that it all works now. I haven't figured out whats different with version 10 other than I have to plug in a USB dongle is all.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:15 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ajohansson
I haven't figured out whats different with version 10 other than I have to plug in a USB dongle is all.
I'm guessing version 9 couldn't connect with 2012 vehicles. I'm glad you're up and functional. A MAC can run the software? I wouldn't have called that - but I would have tried that if I was a MAC man.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:15 AM
ajohansson
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm guessing version 9 couldn't connect with 2012 vehicles. I'm glad you're up and functional. A MAC can run the software? I wouldn't have called that - but I would have tried that if I was a MAC man.
All intel based macs can run windows. For the past few years you can run a virtual machine meaning i can have windows and mac running side by side. Before it was one or the other and a painfull process to install etc. VMware fusion or parallels are the two products that run windows virtually. its really cool. i wont be going back to a pc.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:06 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tugly the Template and screen shots would be excellent. I am running excel. Used to know how to run everything with it, but that was about 6 years ago and they have changed the format a lot as well as my memory has faded

Old 06-03-2012, 08:36 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Tugly I am using Open Office but my spreadsheets are all jumbled and hard to read. I am not sure I understand how you fix that. I don't have much experience with spreadsheets as it is anyway.

Also what is the AE graphing you referred to in an earlier post? Is it somewhere on AE?

Old 06-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ajohansson
All intel based macs can run windows. For the past few years you can run a virtual machine meaning i can have windows and mac running side by side. Before it was one or the other and a painfull process to install etc. VMware fusion or parallels are the two products that run windows virtually. its really cool. i wont be going back to a pc.
I just talked to somebody at work that runs VMware on their MAC and they say windows on a MAC is more stable than Windows on a PC. Interesting.

Originally Posted by 2000ca250
Tugly the Template and screen shots would be excellent. I am running excel. Used to know how to run everything with it, but that was about 6 years ago and they have changed the format a lot as well as my memory has faded
If you could attach one of your "CSV" files, I can make a template for the way you recodord your data. You can then use it to copy and paste into other files, then tweak the cell references to get what you're looking for. I've been mulling over how I can hold a graphing class online and it would be a challenge without an existing file and specific questions.

Originally Posted by bigb56
Tugly I am using Open Office but my spreadsheets are all jumbled and hard to read. I am not sure I understand how you fix that. I don't have much experience with spreadsheets as it is anyway.

Also what is the AE graphing you referred to in an earlier post? Is it somewhere on AE?
If all else fails, you can open AE and play a file with up to 4 sensors. I frequently use Open Office and one part tripped me up at first. Here is the solution for what I ran into.

Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2012, 09:07 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Thanks, that works great!
I am getting a PO476, was thinking of trying to clean the EBPS again. When I check MAP and EBPS in KOEO there is a difference of about 4 PSI with the EBPS being the higher one. Also my EBP volts go into the yellow on WOT.

Is the intake manifold gauge pressure sensor where you read boost?

Thanks for this thread, I have never taken full advantage of my AE but plan on changing that now. The power supply you linked works great, no more ground loop which would shut down AE every time.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by bigb56
Thanks, that works great!
I am getting a PO476, was thinking of trying to clean the EBPS again. When I check MAP and EBPS in KOEO there is a difference of about 4 PSI with the EBPS being the higher one. Also my EBP volts go into the yellow on WOT.

Is the intake manifold gauge pressure sensor where you read boost?

Thanks for this thread, I have never taken full advantage of my AE but plan on changing that now. The power supply you linked works great, no more ground loop which would shut down AE every time.
Great news! I'm glad everything is working out.

Ignore the colored numbers for now, yellow just means the EBP voltage was between 80% and 90% of max voltage (max can be set by you). If you want to monitor something live, the colors help. Say you want the ICP to turn red when it nears 2800 PSI, set the max ICP to 3000. The ICP will turn red at 90% of max. When was the last time you cleared your codes?

Old 06-03-2012, 09:53 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

When was the last time you cleared your codes?
Cleared them today then ran the KOER and the PO475 showed up. Do you clear KOER codes as well or do they automatically reset each time you initiate the test? The PO475 only shows up on KOER

Quick Reply: AE (AutoEnginuity) Beginner-Advanced!