6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-19-2014, 06:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Fuel System Guides
Print Wikipost

Fuel flow requirement on 6.7L Stage 1 Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:54 AM
rpbf350
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel flow requirement on 6.7L Stage 1 Filter

I want to add a Racor filter to my new ride.

Can anyone tell me the required flow rate at the stage one filter on the 6.7L? I do not want to restrict the system so I need to find out what it needs, to be able to get the best water filtration possible.

ryan@valley-gear.com

Old 03-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Fulltimer50
Senior User
I too have been asking for information about addon fuel filters, but it seems that everyone is to concerned with the problem and not the solution. To help with your question I have found some info from the Airdog site. When ask what size was needed:
"
Put it this way...if your truck is stock, or moderately stock (70hp chip) you want the 100. If you've added a 100hp programmer or larger, or even a set of injectors, and in need of an adjustable regulator to perfectly match your specific fueling requirements, then you want the 165."

So if correct that would mean 100GPH. You might check with Racor.

I am leaning towards the AirDog system as it removes air as well. And since no one seems to know what is causng the HPFP failures be it water or air or whatever, I would want the best that covers all bases.
My only concern is what will Ford do with warranty with an addon system. Cant be worse than what they are doing now I guess.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:49 PM
rpbf350
Junior User
Originally Posted by Fulltimer50
I too have been asking for information about addon fuel filters, but it seems that everyone is to concerned with the problem and not the solution. To help with your question I have found some info from the Airdog site. When ask what size was needed:
"
Put it this way...if your truck is stock, or moderately stock (70hp chip) you want the 100. If you've added a 100hp programmer or larger, or even a set of injectors, and in need of an adjustable regulator to perfectly match your specific fueling requirements, then you want the 165."

So if correct that would mean 100GPH. You might check with Racor.

I am leaning towards the AirDog system as it removes air as well. And since no one seems to know what is causng the HPFP failures be it water or air or whatever, I would want the best that covers all bases.
My only concern is what will Ford do with warranty with an addon system. Cant be worse than what they are doing now I guess.
Mine is stock...and will remain as long as warranty is valid..

are those air dog numbers?

I found in a nother thread....from a military test....at the dfcm 60psi and
50 GPH.

The system being recirculating will evacuate air natually but I see your concern! As bad as this system seems to be designed....if a nat farts to close to is.....it might not make it

I sent the above specs to racor cust contact and asked them what they would recommend.

I personally was thingking of a double filter system setup as a parallel flow. split the incoming line from the tank to both filters- filter- then return to one line back into the dfcm.

Am I correct that the dfcm is the 1st stage pump as well? IE nothing in the tank?

Old 03-01-2012, 09:43 PM
WK15
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts
I was looking at Racor myself.

75900MAX

This device can use the 2040SM-OR Filter. It's a 2 Micron Nominal Filter.

http://www.parker.com/literature/Rac...r_Pump_Kit.pdf

Here is what I sent to Racor:
To Whom It May Concern, There has been a bit of a scare in the Ford SuperdDuty Truck World with the new 6.7L Powerstroke. There has been a rash of Bosch CP4.2 High Pressure Fuel Pump Failures (HPFP). It appears the Ford Is running a 10 Micron Primary Nominal Fuel Filter and a 2 Micron Secondary Nominal Fuel Filter. The failures are being attributed to water in the pumps. I just bought one of these trucks. I would like to install “Racor Marine 75900MAX” system with dual 2 Micron Filters. I see from your web site that the 2040SM-OR is the replacement filter. These filters are Nominal filters. Do you all make an Absolute filter that filters down to 2 Microns, if so what is the part number? Would I need to add an external fuel pump to maintain the proper fuel flow?

Their reply:

Thank you for contacting Racor. Here is the information requested:
There is a 2040sm or 2 micron filter, but is is nominal, you should not need any other lift pumps. I would think a 900fh2 would work, a single unit.

http://www.parker.com/literature/Rac...ne_Filters.pdf

Racor 900FH2 Turbine Filter Specifications:

Maximum Flow Rate: 90 GPH (341 LPH)
Port Size (fuel & fluid heat): 7/8”-14 UNF (SAE J1926)
Height: 17.0 in. (43.2 cm)
Width: 6.0 in. (15.2 cm)
Depth: 7.0 in. (17.8 cm)
Weight (dry): 6.0 lb (2.7 kg)
Maximum Working Pressure: 15 PSI (1 bar)
H2O Removal Efficiency: 99%
Cartridge Filter Element: 2 Microns.

Racor 900FH2 Turbine Diesel Fuel Filter

Hope this helps

Old 03-01-2012, 10:51 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by WK15

This device can use the 2040SM-OR Filter. It's a 2 Micron Nominal Filter.
Does anyone know how large the additives in the fuel is? It would be interesting to see what would happen if there was a two micron filter in a fuel line that contains three micron additives in it...

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-02-2012, 06:18 AM
rpbf350
Junior User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Does anyone know how large the additives in the fuel is? It would be interesting to see what would happen if there was a two micron filter in a fuel line that contains three micron additives in it...
Good point. However I would guess it is more on the line of matching the fuel.....they would have taken account for filtration years ago. IMO anyway. Besides.....Ford already has a 2 Micron secondary filter. Just not a water sepperater

Old 03-02-2012, 06:22 AM
rpbf350
Junior User
I really like that air dog system. Getting rid of any air seems to be a very good idea! It has a pump so maybe even play it safe and add a racor after it for even better water removal! The air dog is a 2 Micron filter as well!

Epic, did you watch the video demo on the airdog? It is quite impressive!

Old 03-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Fulltimer50
Senior User
rpbf350,
The quote is from the AirDog web site.
There is no pump in the fuel tank.
The Airdog system (and others) are ment to replace the Ford primary filter and pump.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Fulltimer50
Senior User
In the day I was an automotive technician (also for Ford) where I did a lot of carburator rebuilds. There was always "rust dust" in the fuel bowl. Of course the filters than where nowhere near as good as today but the rust dust could have come from anywhere just like today. Ford is saying (or so I have heard) that this dust is evidence of water in the fuel. It appears the Ford filters for what ever reason are allowing stuff to pass and get to the HPFP. Thus the interest in the addon filters. More is better.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:16 AM
rpbf350
Junior User
Originally Posted by Fulltimer50
rpbf350,
The quote is from the AirDog web site.
There is no pump in the fuel tank.
The Airdog system (and others) are ment to replace the Ford primary filter and pump.
I just got off the phone with AirDog tech support...they told me that the DF100 and DF165 do not replace the dfcm but operate between them.
There are ones from AirDog that replace the system...but for other models of engines..

They use oem fittings so the system can be installed and uninstalled easilly. The only thing cut is the fuel tank vent tube.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:51 AM
WK15
More Turbo
I thought the Ford System was a 10 Micron Primary and a 4 Micron Secondary as per the 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel Bible, pages 51-55.

Did they change the filters ?

Fuel Supply System
• The DFCM includes the following components:
– low pressure fuel pump
– 10 micron primary fuel filter
– thermal recirculation valve
– water fuel separator (~200ml)
– Water in Fuel (WIF) sensor
– water drain (manual operation)
• After the fuel is conditioned by the DFCM, the clean pressurized fuel is sent to the engine mounted fuel filter assembly where particles larger than 4 micron are filtered out of the fuel. After the fuel is filtered, it is routed to the high pressure fuel pump.

Has this changed?

Old 03-02-2012, 10:02 AM
rpbf350
Junior User
Originally Posted by WK15
I thought the Ford System was a 10 Micron Primary and a 4 Micron Secondary as per the 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel Bible, pages 51-55.

Did they change the filters ?

Fuel Supply System
• The DFCM includes the following components:
– low pressure fuel pump
– 10 micron primary fuel filter
– thermal recirculation valve
– water fuel separator (~200ml)
– Water in Fuel (WIF) sensor
– water drain (manual operation)
• After the fuel is conditioned by the DFCM, the clean pressurized fuel is sent to the engine mounted fuel filter assembly where particles larger than 4 micron are filtered out of the fuel. After the fuel is filtered, it is routed to the high pressure fuel pump.

Has this changed?

www.sogefifilterdivision.com Start of series production in 2010: Diesel filter system for the 6.7l and 4.4l Ford Pickup Power Stroke engines

this is from the filter/fuels system designer.

it does not give the rating on the dfcm but the secondary is a 2 micron filter.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:16 AM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock is 10 and 4 micron. Always has been in the 6.7.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-02-2012, 10:47 AM
MidMichigan
Junior User
The AirDog video is impressive. For my .02 I have a couple of thoughts.

First, The AirDog demo is pumping the air back to the tank in the vent line. It would seem to me a full size tank with 30 gallons of fuel in it is going to settle a lot more than a two quart tank like on the video. The return line is also piped all the way down into the fuel which is only compounding the problem. I wonder if the vent line on the factory tank does the same or is it only pipes down into tank a little ways? If the vent line has a air/fuel mixture in it, there must be a difference between releasing fuel into the air and releasing air into the fuel. If it is cut into the vent line than none of the air is added to the fuel. I think in the video it is adding this extra air to the fuel to help show how it is removed. After all, there has to be air in fuel to take it out. Sales gimmick to me. Question is how much air is actually in our fuel when it reaches the injectors. Maybe someone else can set me straight.

Second, I couldn't find one place in add where it stated it removes water. Maybe I am mistaken, but I couldn't find it. Being water is the problem with the HPFP, I am not sure if this $700 fix is going to answer the problem. Is Ford going to deny warranty work based on air in fuel?

Old 03-02-2012, 10:50 AM
WK15
More Turbo
Originally Posted by rpbf350
www.sogefifilterdivision.com Start of series production in 2010: Diesel filter system for the 6.7l and 4.4l Ford Pickup Power Stroke engines

this is from the filter/fuels system designer.

it does not give the rating on the dfcm but the secondary is a 2 micron filter.
I see where it states" eliminates dirt particles larger than 2 µm and ensures a perfect separation of even the smallest amount of water in diesel and bio diesel fuel."

So in essence that is a 2 Micron Filter. So did Ford make a change?

Quick Reply: Fuel flow requirement on 6.7L Stage 1 Filter