Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Can AE troubleshoot this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:47 PM
PEI
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can AE troubleshoot this?

I have AE, but still havent played with it enough to see if it would help me figure this out..

Truck was working great a few days ago but just started getting a rougher idle in it and a slight miss the past few days.

The drivers side UVC had the .25 cent mod done but not the passengers side.. The truck just dont act the same as it did when the other side started acting up so thats what has me not sure if its the same.

I have about 80% power of what i had before this started acting up.

I did try the AE yesterday and took it for a drive monitoring misfires on each cyl and there was none that showed up in AE.

I am afraid of spending the few hours ripping apart the pass side to do the .25 cent mod and seeing its all tight there.. Any suggestions how to confirm it is that first?

I have been going over a LOT more bumpy roads the last week or so due to the roads breaking up here with frost, etc..

Would the AE troubleshoot a loose connector under the valve cover? Also, If i pull the covers off again to have a look, is there a way to physically check the injectors for issues? Perhaps dirt got shook up and clocked a injector?
Truck sounds a bit noisier from the drivers side.. so that would mean the pass side may not be firing properly?

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2012, 01:59 PM
PEI
Senior User
I just did a injector buzz test and it completed successfully..

Old 02-28-2012, 02:39 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
take the time to check out the other side. If nothing else it is still prevenative maint. cant really loose.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:48 PM
PEI
Senior User
Originally Posted by caverjoe
take the time to check out the other side. If nothing else it is still prevenative maint. cant really loose.

Very true.. Starting in about 2 months, this truck will be our full time RV hauler, so better get it done while I still have a garage for her..

Old 02-28-2012, 03:29 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Buzz test will often pass, were there any quieter ones? That makes the difference.

Also are you getting any codes?

Misfires on cylinders doesn't work on the diesel. If you get 0 as a parameter, it is most likely not supported on your vehicle. You really need to know which parameters are the ones to look at for each test you are trying. Getting the Powertrain Diagnostics manual for your truck is priceless for troubleshooting. You can pick them up on ebay for around $50.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:38 PM
PEI
Senior User
Originally Posted by woodnthings
Buzz test will often pass, were there any quieter ones? That makes the difference.

Also are you getting any codes?

Misfires on cylinders doesn't work on the diesel. If you get 0 as a parameter, it is most likely not supported on your vehicle. You really need to know which parameters are the ones to look at for each test you are trying. Getting the Powertrain Diagnostics manual for your truck is priceless for troubleshooting. You can pick them up on ebay for around $50.

buzz seemed to be all the same noise.. going to pull the valve cover off tomorrow and do the mod on the connector.. Now that I have a good torque wrench, will be checking the rockers & injectors lbs before putting it back together.. I never had the wrench when I did my first one so couldnt torque the drivers side.. worth pulling off again to check torque or wouldnt be worth the hassle?

I got the Workshop Manual from ebay a few months ago.. this is a different one?

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2012, 04:00 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Yes, the Powertrain Manual is much different, and IMHO, much better than the generic Ford shop manual. It's a wonderful enhancement to have both that manual AND AutoEnginuity to take advantage of it.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:15 PM
PEI
Senior User
Thanks!

Will check that out too

Old 02-28-2012, 05:06 PM
73ferdf250highboy
Elder User
im in the same situation as you. slight miss, kinda lumpy idle. no codes. pulled valve covers good oil. harness connected. still put coins in there anyways. kinda fixed it- fer about 2-3 days. now it's back again. i dont have ae
i did use a temp gun on warm up: #2 exhaust port is slower to heat up than the rest.
same thing again. still no codes. another member, bfife pointed to the soleniod on top. im gonna try it: @ $60 each- i ordered 2, just in case another one gives me a dirty look while im back in there.

hope it works

kurt

Old 02-28-2012, 05:11 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
IPR can cause a rough idle as well. Has it stalled out, or just rough idle?

Old 02-28-2012, 05:19 PM
PEI
Senior User
Mine has never stalled, just can tell a miss.. and power seems to be about 80%.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:20 PM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
low fuel pressure can give you fits also. It will make it sound like the injectors are loose, low power, etc. you'll need to pick up some adapters from Guzzle to hook a PSI guage up but its well worth it for diagnosis. also a vaccum guage between tank and pump will tell you if your tank screens are getting plugged.

Jason, I've been on the road fulltime since 2005. fixed alot of stuff in parking lots and campgrounds.

Barney

Old 02-28-2012, 05:26 PM
73ferdf250highboy
Elder User
would low fuel pressure cause issues across all 8 or could it single out one injector? mine hasn't stalled either.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:30 PM
PEI
Senior User
Originally Posted by bfife
low fuel pressure can give you fits also. It will make it sound like the injectors are loose, low power, etc. you'll need to pick up some adapters from Guzzle to hook a PSI guage up but its well worth it for diagnosis. also a vaccum guage between tank and pump will tell you if your tank screens are getting plugged.

Jason, I've been on the road fulltime since 2005. fixed alot of stuff in parking lots and campgrounds.

Barney

Had to get another replacement sensor for my fuel gauge and dont have it installed yet, but was pumping about 70PSI last week. Its possible the bumpy roads I have been forced to go on caused a lot of garbage to mix up.

I am worried that something worked loose and plugged an injector, but with the tank filter, and the fuel filter, that would be impossible right?

Great to hear about your fulltiming. We stayed in the RV all last summer where I worked (help run a campground here all summer) then heading down to KS and TX to visit family next fall and spending the rest of the winter travelling then back here for 6 months at the CG here. What a hassle trying to downgrade a full house and garage.. Sold off my 5x12 ft CNC 2 months ago and still trying to downgrade my shop tools.. We are keeping a 5x10 storage unit for the WHOLE house..

Old 02-28-2012, 06:34 PM
johnarahill
Senior User
I'm curious, I have the same issue. I'll be keeping up with this thread. My fuel pressure is 70 at idle, back two cylinders sound a little different, but from what I understand they are supposed to on mine, as they are a different type.

Quick Reply: Can AE troubleshoot this?