1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Ridiculous amounts of white smoke.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
twtcad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ridiculous amounts of white smoke.......

Hello all.......I got another problem with my truck (in my sig)!
Last week my truck was misfiring sounded like a bad injector and I had to tow around a 12,000# load and she ran like crap! So my buddy ran a contribution & a buzz test w/ his Snapon MT2500. Buzz test good, but #2 & #8 failed the contribution test. So thru a friend I acquired a set of 4 rebuilds (cheap)....so I decided to replace all 4 on the drivers side since I had it open. All done fired up and ran about the same so I was waiting for my buddy to scan it again. I kept driving it because I needed to and she started blowing GREYISH smoke the next day I mean fogging for mosquitoes bad. I ended up getting a ticket for equipment failure w/ the cop yelling at me telling me my motor was blown.........not vary happy! So I get it retested and #1 injector fails the contribution test and now I have a large puddle under my truck in the driveway. My exhaust pipe from the turbo is covered in oil and my EBPV is covered in oil. So is my turbo toast (needs to be replaced) or is it just a seal kit and replace all the seals? I'm really hoping you guys can help as you always do! I'd love a new upgraded turbo from RiffRaff, just really don't have $1,400 extra.........Oh I replaced the #1 injector w/ the #4 I pulled from the other side (w/ new orings) since it did not fail the test. My buddy is suppose to test it again tomorrow.....but she is still blowing smoke and does not have a lot of power. Thank you for reading!

Last edited by twtcad; 02-27-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: greyish smoke not white.....sorry
Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i want to say white is water in the motor.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 PM
twtcad
Senior User
Sorry.....I've been told it's more of a grey then a white

Old 02-27-2012, 09:01 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Have you pulled the intake and checked the turbo for play? When you shut the truck off do you still hear the turbo "wind down"?

Have you checked blow by?

White smoke can be caused by low fuel pressure as well. What does the smoke smell like? Does it burn your eyes?

As for the turbo it can be rebuilt as long as the housing isn't bad or the shaft didn't break.

Riffraff Diesel: Garrett GTP38 Journal Bearing Rebuild Kit

Clay has almost everything to build a stock turbo if your shaft was broken too Riffraff Diesel: Garrett GTP38 Turbine Wheel / Shaft assembly

This would be the entire setup, minus the housings. Riffraff Diesel: Garrett GTP-38 Center Cartridge

Old 02-27-2012, 09:08 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Is there oil coming out of the exhaust? Your turbo can be rebuilt for about $100 if the damage is not too bad.

Alan's got faster fingers.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:15 PM
twtcad
Senior User
Responded to each item below in color:

Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
Have you pulled the intake and checked the turbo for play? When you shut the truck off do you still hear the turbo "wind down"? No I've meant to do that, but with all the injector crap I forgot too; I will in the am. The turbo does not like it use too, sounds weaker but no grinding noises

Have you checked blow by? please excuse my ignorance....blow by from where and how do I check? I have replaced the o-ring at the oil fill tube to valve cover and I've done the CCV mode....

White smoke can be caused by low fuel pressure as well. What does the smoke smell like? Does it burn your eyes? I also have a newly installed FASS fuel pump and the billet Fuel pressure relief valve w/ the black spring in it. I'm bad w/ smells so I will have that checked tomorrow and I do not think it burns your eyes

As for the turbo it can be rebuilt as long as the housing isn't bad or the shaft didn't break. Very cool....Thank you, I did plan to call Clay tomorrow

Riffraff Diesel: Garrett GTP38 Journal Bearing Rebuild Kit

Clay has almost everything to build a stock turbo if your shaft was broken too Riffraff Diesel: Garrett GTP38 Turbine Wheel / Shaft assembly

This would be the entire setup, minus the housings. Riffraff Diesel: Garrett GTP-38 Center Cartridge

Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 PM
twtcad
Senior User
No I do not think so. I think the oil is just running down the pipe. I'm also wondering if the EBPV is also leaking as it appeared to be covered in oil. There is also a black tube of some sort that you can see behind there that is all oily. When the truck is running there is a steady drip of oil coming from somewhere up there, just can not tell.

Originally Posted by HD Rider
Is there oil coming out of the exhaust? Your turbo can be rebuilt for about $100 if the damage is not too bad.

Alan's got faster fingers.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:25 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Quick check for blowby would be to flip your oil fill cap over with the engine at idle, and see if it will sit there or if it has pressure trying to lift the cap off. It should just sit there.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:33 PM
twtcad
Senior User
Quick check for blowby would be to flip your oil fill cap over with the engine at idle, and see if it will sit there or if it has pressure trying to lift the cap off. It should just sit there.
Sorry....I'm tired! No there is no blow by, I even just checked it. I did try to flip the cap, but it would not stay on because of vibration....I help my hand over the tube tight and no pressure. So I would say no blow by!

Old 02-27-2012, 09:39 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
That's good, hopefully you find the culprit when you pull the intake in the AM. Side to side play is ok as long as it doesn't strike the housing, but you don't want any in and out play in the shaft.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:50 PM
twtcad
Senior User
OK....Thank you. I will check and post on here in the am.
By the way if their is no play in the shaft, then what?

That's good, hopefully you find the culprit when you pull the intake in the AM. Side to side play is ok as long as it doesn't strike the housing, but you don't want any in and out play in the shaft.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:57 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
No play, usually not an issue with the turbo then, I would look for leaking turbo pedestal or HPOP line in that area. The only other time I personally have seen a lot of smoke and no real noticeable performance issues was when the fuel line on the passenger's side head wore a hole, at the clamp, but that would be diesel fuel not oil all over everything.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:00 PM
twtcad
Senior User
Yep....I've already had to replace that! Like I said she is blowing a lot of smoke; so much so I got pulled over and received a ticket for equipment failure and she does not have the power she used to. I will inspect the turbo in the am and go from there.....thank you for your help!

The only other time I personally ave seen a lot of smoke and no real noticeable performance issues was when the fuel line on the passenger's side head wore a hole, at the clamp, but that would be diesel fuel not oil all over everything.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:02 PM
twtcad
Senior User
OH and last year I replaced the HPOP. I've confident the oil I'm seeing is coming from the turbo area, just not sure which part.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Tormz
Mountain Pass
When I was blowing gray smoke I had 3 cracked injector cups.

Quick Reply: Ridiculous amounts of white smoke.......