1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Cap or Tonneau Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:31 AM
Atl Fahrer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Cap or Tonneau Cover?

Just wondering what the thoughts around here are? What do you guys prefer - Cap or Cover and which is the best? Just got my SD and wondering which if any is worth it? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:21 AM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Right now I don't have anything, but eventually I want to get a cap with no side windows (like my dad's in my signature pic). I don't plan on hauling anything with this truck that wouldn't fit in a cap, and whatever I haul could stay nice and dry if it rains. I personally don't care for the covers- especially the hard ones. They look nice and all, but I don't really want what would essentially become an 8 foot trunk.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 AM
RAPR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my Extang Solid Fold cover. I like having an "extended trunk" that is easily removable in under a minute if I need to carry tall items. Also, a hard cover makes it easy to wash the roof of a tall truck, as you can just stand on the cover.

I don't really care for the more permanent install of a hardshell lid or camper...also a camper makes the SD look too much like an Excursion. Bottom line is 'how you intend to use your truck'. I carry a motocross bike in the bed of my truck at times, so I need something that comes off easy.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Todd Turbo S
Freshman User
I'm going with tonneau cover with a bed rug.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Atl Fahrer
Freshman User
Great comments, guys. My challenge is that from time to time, I will carry extra sets of race wheels or other "valuable" items in the bed, so, need something lockable. Please keep the suggestions coming. Really interested in appearance & quality as I think the SD is already the best looking truck on the road

Old 02-27-2012, 09:33 AM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
I have the folding hard cover as well. Had one on all three of my SD's. Well, the first one was an Undercover, but I was pulling a travel trailer at the time. With the 5th wheel, I can leave the hitch in and cover it. And it folds all the way to the front of the bed (6" loss is all), and allows me to carry just about anything I normally would.

All the covers "lock" to some degree. Either with an actual lock, or they fasten down then use the tailgate lock for security. But keep in mind that this is in no way very secure. There is probably no good way to keep a determined thief out of any of the bed covers that I am aware of. Some are easier than others, but if you keep your valuables out of sight, they may just pass you by.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:46 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I like my Truxedo LoPro QT. It rolls up nicely and there are no moving parts other than the fabric to deal with.

I have thought about a topper for the winter but then any time I need to use the gooseneck hitch I would have to remove it.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 AM
AlexG21
Mountain Pass
I had a tonneau cover and it made my long bed a big trunk. I recently pulled it off and put a topper on it. Now I can actually put things back there including the dog and not worry about rain or anything else.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:13 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Look up diamondback truck covers. Had one on my previous F250. It's an all aluminum diamond plate cover that has multiple ways of opening not just on side like the fiberglass ones. There is a butterfly one (front and back hinge open which I had), another the middle to back opens and the front has two side openings. Very secure, easily removed and put on. The guy that bought mine we put it on in about 5 minutes. The longest part was wrenching down the 4 clamps and may have been 4 out of the 5 minutes. Depending on the model you can hold 1600lbs on top too! Can't do that with the fancy fiberglass or fabric tonneaus. You can also get them sprayed with Line-x so it's black. Not the cheapest but man mine took a beating and kept coming back for more!! I'd never buy a "tonneau" again they just don't last and don't secure a thing. The others out there that I looked at were the BakFlip, and Pace Edwards roll up ones. Liked the diamondback the best.

Current rig has a leer cap that came with it when I purchased used form the dealer. Thing leaks from 3 areas but keeps everything mostly dry and looks slick. Sercurity.....I don't leave anything in there if that gives you an idea what I think of the locks. Will be removing in the summer for use of the bed. Gotta try and design something that I can easily remove and store the cover on.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Todd Turbo S
I'm going with tonneau cover with a bed rug.

Bed rug is nice. I have one but like I said above I need the bed for dirt/mulch/stone, etc... and that thing would just be a pita. Probably doing Line-X and keep the rug for the winter when the cap is on.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:21 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Some guys say that the bed rug works good even with mulch, dirt, etc. They say that it hoses right out. I am not convinced myself but I haven't actually tried one.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:31 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Some guys say that the bed rug works good even with mulch, dirt, etc. They say that it hoses right out. I am not convinced myself but I haven't actually tried one.

I'm sure it does but I can say this. When you're doing 10-20 jobs/month who in their right mind wants to take the time to pull that thing out, spray it down, let it dry, etc..... I put my families christmas trees in there this winter (because I have the truck ) and the needles just bury themselves in the "fabric" area. So I can only imaging what mulch would do. If I was doing it one time and could spend 2-3 hours cleaning it, sure. Plus mulches tend to leave...well...mulch smells and that thing seems like it would trap stink!!

BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in rain country (SW BC, similar to the Pacific NW). Here a lot of truck owners have canopies (you guys call them caps or campers) because it is always raining. If it doesn't rain as much where you live, the tri-fold might be the best option. To me, the biggest downsides to canopies are when you want or need them off, you need help to remove it and somewhere to store it. I also find that the windows get dirty and foggy from the constant rain, reducing visibility, especially at night. The plus side is the large, dry, and secure storage area in the back. I haul everything back there, firewood, hockey gear, dump and recycling runs, groceries, etc. Mostly, I remove it when I need to put my slide-in camper on the truck.

AlexG21
Mountain Pass
I had a bed rug in my old truck and it worked great. Even got blood out after hunting last season.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:33 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by BCHauler
I live in rain country (SW BC, similar to the Pacific NW). Here a lot of truck owners have canopies (you guys call them caps or campers) because it is always raining. If it doesn't rain as much where you live, the tri-fold might be the best option. To me, the biggest downsides to canopies are when you want or need them off, you need help to remove it and somewhere to store it. I also find that the windows get dirty and foggy from the constant rain, reducing visibility, especially at night. The plus side is the large, dry, and secure storage area in the back. I haul everything back there, firewood, hockey gear, dump and recycling runs, groceries, etc. Mostly, I remove it when I need to put my slide-in camper on the truck.

Sounds like you need a forklift to remove that thing.

Quick Reply: Truck Cap or Tonneau Cover?