Modular V10 (6.8l)  

New to me F250 6.8L - Pics added!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Atl Fahrer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me F250 6.8L - Pics added!

Posted over in the Super & Heavy Duty new member sticky, but, it seems most everyone sticks to the forum which is specific to their truck. First, I want to thank everyone that posts here. The information is handy and really was the deciding factor in me buying a gaser vs. diesel.

The process started a little over 2 years ago when the new 6.7L Diesel came out and I was starting to tow my race car a little more frequently. I started lurking on the forum and was really "disturbed" by the maintenance costs and issues that go along with having a modern day diesel engine. And then, I started reading about Ford and the denial of warranty claims and the BS that a lot of folks had to go through with NEW trucks (btw, this is the first American car I've purchased in +20 years). Even with all the issues, I decided to move forward with the purchase and ordered a 2012 F250 6.7L loaded truck. A couple of weeks before I was supposed to take delivery, I spoke to a knowledgeable person who really got me to thinking.

I will only use the truck ~10 times a year to tow on average 100 miles round trip, with a couple of 500 mile trips thrown in. My tow weight is currently ~5500lbs, but, going up to 8,000 when I get my enclosed trailer. Occasionally (once per year?), I will pull a two car set-up with a weight around ~12,000lbs. The rest of the time will be trips to the grocery store and hauling the kids to soccer, etc... With that, it was recommended that I really should look at the 6.2L. Well I did, and Lariat/King Ranches are hard to find here in the SE. So, then I stumbled on this forum. Long story short, and based on the information I found here, I started looking at the 3V 6.8L V10's. Not a lot of them around either.

Found one yesterday. Its a 2008 King Ranch with ~70K miles and in great shape. Seems I can't post pictures for some reason, but, I will when able. Thanks so much for all the info y'all share, and, hopefully, haven't bored you too much with all the detail

Old 02-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Mr-Pipeline
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome and congratulations! You'll need to get a few more posts before you can upload pics...we want to see your new V10 3V! They are a great truck/engine combinations that most people overlook. Get some pics loaded as soon as you can!

Old 02-26-2012, 11:32 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Congrats on the 2008 V10 3v! You're going to love this engine...and the tremendous torque it offers.

When you can...post pics and stats of SD.

biz

Old 02-27-2012, 05:19 AM
Atl Fahrer
Freshman User
Thanks, guys. Have tons of pics and will post them when able. Got to say, I like the truck so much, am starting to think about making it my daily driver

Old 02-27-2012, 04:55 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
My 2008 V-10 is a daily driver and I love it more and more every day. Especially when you add Mike's 5-Star tuner, it will blow your mind. V-10's are the best engine Ford ever made IMHO and you will definately like driving yours.

Pap

Old 02-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Atl Fahrer
Freshman User
The 5 Star (or other) tune is definatley on my list as well as getting some kind of cover for the back. Every now and again, I transport expensive tires, jacks, ramps for the race car, so, need to keep the stuff out of site.

Other than those two "mods", I don't think I'll be doing much more to the truck. It already has both 5th wheel options on it. Unless, of course, you guys talk me into spending more money...

Old 02-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Boss08v10
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I have done to mine is the B&W turn over goose neck ball and mike's five star 93 tune. Thinking about getting a scan gauge this spring to help the mpg while towing. My truck is used about exactly the same as you plan to use your, 7-10 100 miles trips pulling the race car trailer to and from the track. I gross at 22,450 and the V10 tows like a charm. I think what really makes my set up work is the trailer is regular height and I am out of the wind compared to really tall 5er's or guys towing cargo trailers with a extra height. I have about 54,000 miles on mine and plan to do the plugs this spring. I also plan to have the trans flushed and filled as I am pretty sure I qualify for serve duty use. You have to have this done by a dealer or shop with the right equipment as our trans have thermostat in them and the fuild needs to be heated up to circulate through the system. Welcome aboard

Old 02-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Atl Fahrer
Freshman User
Trans flush was done +/-3months ago, spark plugs not yet. plan to do it in the spring. That's a sweet rig you have there? What brand trailer is that? I assume you overnight in that thing at the track?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Boss08v10
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes we do, it is a 2004 42' classic dominator. I bought it completely empty 3 years ago and built the lounge and garage area to my specs. We used to have big motor homes and pulled a bumper tag. The problem with that is you only use the condo on wheels when it is raining. I really like this set up for the track and only put in it what we learned over the years that we actually use.

What do you guys race? And what track? We petty much only race at Brainard International for the brackets.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:56 AM
Atl Fahrer
Freshman User
Currently have a Porsche GT3 and an Aluma flat bed trailer. Really need to go covered and I like the idea of a separate area to hang out. My truck has all the provisions for a 5th wheel, so yours is definitely appealing to me.

I run mostly tracks in SE - Road Atlanta, Barber, Carolina Motorsports Park, Roebling & Sebring. A friend and I are in the process of putting together a trip up North to run Road America and whatever else lies between in July! I will be using the truck to pull a two car trailer (his) at that point, so, am trying to learn as much as I can about the in's and out's of these bad boys.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Atl Fahrer
Freshman User
Obligatory pics...

Old 02-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Moxie101
New User
Glad you got the pic's figured out! Love your truck, that red leather is SWEET!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 08:58 PM
UrbanXX
Posting Guru
Nice looking truck !

Old 03-01-2012, 09:14 AM
doofuss
Senior User
Wow! Nice ride. Many times King Ranch interiors are horribly neglected and the leather becomes dry, brittle and unsightly. It’s clear the previous owner took excellent care of the seats. On my 150 I do my seats about every 6 months and that seems to keep ahead of things. They are very durable and resist stains well if you keep them properly conditioned.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:20 AM
UrbanXX
Posting Guru
doofuss thats a good observation I try to do the same thing. I once read where Ford interiors are biodegradeable. So it does take a little extra effort to keep them up.

Quick Reply: New to me F250 6.8L - Pics added!