6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Best Oil Drain Pan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 02:23 PM
hikeril
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Oil Drain Pan?

I am 42 years old and decided that the first oil change I would do on a vehicle would be my 2011 6.7 with 13qts of oil that exits the engine it seemed like all at one time. I really thought I was prepared after reading the forums and watching the videos but I guess not. My biggest challenge was the oil drain pan I used. It is open with a 4.5 gallon capacity but it is round with a shallow pool to hold the oil. The oil was contained but extensive splashing occurred because the sides are low. The best part is I was the entrainment for the neighborhood and my neighbors pitched in to help with dry sweep along with supportive words like "look at all the money youse saved" of sarcastically. My wife had the spray bottle of shout it out for my sweatshirt that I was wearing that ended up in the garbage. Any other techniques along with the right drain pan would be appreciated. It appears that as soon as the oil hit the pan I probably should have lowered it but I kept it at an angle to be sure it would not overshoot that pan. Love my truck! My first diesel used to pull a 5th wheel so I am preparing for the camping season with Rottella T6 synthetic oil 5w-40 from the 10w-30 that the dealer used to change the oil.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:33 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If it were me I would use a 5 gallon bucket, trimmed at the top to fit nicely under the truck withou tipping it. Probably would be even better to drive the front of the truck up on 4x4 blocks, use a 5 gal bucket and the higher front end would help to get a good drain.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:01 PM
jermort
Senior User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
If it were me I would use a 5 gallon bucket, trimmed at the top to fit nicely under the truck withou tipping it. Probably would be even better to drive the front of the truck up on 4x4 blocks, use a 5 gal bucket and the higher front end would help to get a good drain.
++ on the bucket! only issue is draining the oil filter. I did use the phillips screwdriver hole in the filter trick, maybe a cup drained out, as soon as the seal broke when unscrewing, couple more cups drained around the outside of the filter. But, doing the job myself saved about $90!

jammer

Old 02-26-2012, 04:38 PM
stltikn
New User
To reduce and almost eliminate splashing of draining oil use a home A/C-Heating unit filter in the pan. Not the fiberglass/paper element but the large open weave type something like a 3m scratch pad, but larger. You can get these at an A/C-Heating supply and sometimes the big box stores. The tool trucks also carry them, but at a higher cost. We use a black rectangular drain recycle pan with a chunk of filter in the pan. The splashing is caught in the large open weave of the material and the oil continues to drain into the 1" hole in the pan. Leave the filter sit in the pan for awhile and most all of the oil will have drained away. This has worked for distances 2' from the drain plug. Obviously you have to use a container that allows the liquid to stay below the filter.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe a pan like this:

Blitz USA: Item # 11845 5 Gallon Drain Pan

I always keep a punch and hammer handy when I'm changing oil for knocking a hole in the oil filter.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:55 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
When I did the first change I used a 24" 3/8" extension. This allowed me to remove the plug very slowly, out of the oil spurt range and I was able to keep the plug in the pan and control the flow.

Also used a 5 gallon bucket.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:09 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by porthole
When I did the first change I used a 24" 3/8" extension. This allowed me to remove the plug very slowly, out of the oil spurt range and I was able to keep the plug in the pan and control the flow.

Also used a 5 gallon bucket.
Good idea on the extension. Such a simple solution to not getting a oily hand and wrench.

On the oil pan, you need something long and deep.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 PM
hikeril
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Glockin' Bob
Maybe a pan like this:

Blitz USA: Item # 11845 5 Gallon Drain Pan

I always keep a punch and hammer handy when I'm changing oil for knocking a hole in the oil filter.
This that is the oil pan I used that did not go well. Not sure what I did wrong other than I need a deeper container.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
Originally Posted by hikeril
This that is the oil pan I used that did not go well. Not sure what I did wrong other than I need a deeper container.
Guess I won't order one of those then! I know the one I use for the cars, one of those that has the plug and hole in the center of the covered container, doesn't do so well. I still have a big black spot in the driveway from my first oil change. When the plug comes out, massive amounts of oil flow and that little hole in the drain pan couldn't keep up. Perhaps the mesh in the bottom of the pan would work?

Old 02-26-2012, 09:49 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
I use this product I picked up from Northern Tools: Northern Industrial Tools Steel Low-Profile Oil Drain Dolly and Pump — 15 Gallons | Oil Drains | Northern Tool + Equipment

It works quite well for this truck and my farm equipment.

Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 PM
PITS
Elder User
I have the premium maintaince plan so I let them make the mess but as comical as it is to watch even the "professionals" squirt oil all over their shop, I had an idea while watching them that I told them about and they seemed to have liked it.

Take a long socket extension and insert it through a large plastic funnel and tape it up at the pointy end to the extension. Position it into the plug, quarter twist, pull and let it spray into the funnel sideways and it will then drip into the pan below it.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:28 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Glockin' Bob
When the plug comes out, massive amounts of oil flow and that little hole in the drain pan couldn't keep up.
See my previous below

Originally Posted by porthole
a 24" 3/8" extension. This allowed me to remove the plug very slowly, out of the oil spurt range and I was able to keep the plug in the pan and control the flow.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:22 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok I have been trying to look up ways to drain the oil even though I don't have a truck yet all morning...lol

Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
dschuffert, that's a nice piece of equipment. At 140 its not too bad either, but a bit more than I really want to spend or move around while I'm in the AF.

I bet that thing is sweet.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:06 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok I just watched Epic's video on oil changes again and I always laugh at the "shut up cat!" part.

I like the oil pan that he used but I would need to look into a jug to put the oil into for transport.

Quick Reply: Best Oil Drain Pan?