Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

an ode to my truck...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:32 AM
4601ton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
an ode to my truck...

Sorry guys, I know this may not seem like much to most, but I have to brag some on my truck...just never seen a truck go through the "neglect" she has and come out as healthy...

Well, I actually did this about a week ago, I had surgery last Monday and have been recovering with 6 holes in my gut so the most I've done is drive the 'ol girl a few times since...but last Saturday I was reminded of something pretty spectacular...they really DON'T make 'em like they use to.

To give a brief history, my "Daisy" was my great grandpa's last truck, an '87 model F150 XL he bought in '93 to replace his '74 F100 with the 300/C4 auto in it. He specifically bought Daisy because of 4 things. Newer, A/C, the 6 cylinder and the manual. My great granddad was a wonderful mechanic well-loved around his town. He knew what he was buying.

Anyhow, he passed away in '03 and ever since, Daisy was allowed to go to complete **** by his sons, my great uncles who had their own cars and left her to sit for years with little to no attention. The paint went from looking like a new truck to looking like she belongs in a junkyard...she had to be towed to a shop because 2 of the fuel pumps seized from sitting.

Now, from there she came into my possession. Most everything on this truck is original. Since '93 it's been "broke down" less than 5 times...not kidding/making stuff up. It needed a fuel pump once. A battery once. Two fuel pumps the other time. Water pump/fan clutch once. That's it. Never once left anyone stranded. Now, there are things that need attention, but I would honestly trust this truck to go anywhere. Between oil changes, the original, near-200k 300 I6 uses "no" oil (the level doesn't visibly change), the sucker pulls like a 14 year old with a playboy and honestly has a lot of trouble with low end traction on anything other than a dry surface. She's not weak, at all. Most all original seals don't leak, despite neglect.

Now, there are problems. Right now, the speedometer doesn't work. I'm thinking the driven gear...even though it looks fine. I did finally replace the ORIGINAL heater core/heater hoses (was barely leaking, not into floorboard, still had heat...just smelled coolant/steamed windows), the A/C no longer works, the original compressor locked up and was removed (don't count that as being "stranded", she was in her driveway idling.... ), I replaced the slave cylinder that began leaking and the firewall finally cracked. Also under heavy load (I.e. Me doing crap I shouldn't) the original clutch will sometimes MILDLY slip. If I just leave her be (I normally do) it'll probably last a long time and of course there's that illusive surging idle that comes and goes at random...lol She's far from perfect and I'm working on her as fast as I can...but overall I can't help but brag...

She always fires right up...no complaints, no hesitations...has tons of power for a 6 cylinder gasser, even tracks straight down the road...no pulling, no loose steering...nothing.

Now, to the reason that brought this huge spiel on. Last Saturday I hopped in her to run a key to my uncle, at like 8:30 at night. Fired her up, instantly could tell she wasn't charging. Running fine, volt gauge was all the way down, lights were dim and battery light was flickering. Great, 2 days before surgery and on a cold day (for us in the South, leave me alone Northerners..lol) at night, at that, the original alternator goes kaput! Well, I couldn't really be "mad"...my Lord, it's the original 1987 alternator...

So I go to my uncles...lights "dim" but not too dim and truck running great...I just turned off all accessories (blower motor, CD player). Ran the key out to my uncle and told him I had to run...hopped back in, took off...got to the parts store about 15 minutes before it closed and turned 'er off. Popped hood and instantly checked connections...terminals and wire right behind them looked perfect...eh, guess it's the alternator...

Went inside, we looked through all the alternators, and since Daisy was a late 87 (born 5/87) she basically used the "newer" alternator with the two plugs, the most expensive one. So I bought it, went home (of course she fired right up!) and proceeded to use my new underhood lighting system to install the new alternator. Could have field tested the old alternator, was being lazy. Start to remove it and something told me to check some of the wiring further. Looked clear back to the starter solenoid...what's this? A wire almost completely broken! Fixed that, plugged her back in and whaddaya know? Daisy is charging like a champ...with an alternator that's been in service since May, 1987!

So I took back the new alternator and me and the guy behind the counter laughed about the fact that that old alternator was still working great. He even came out and looked at it and saw the apparent age looking at it, the original Motorcraft cast in it and the lack of any type of rebuild sticker.

Man, if they only still made vehicles like these...

Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Dave804
Postmaster

Amen 1ton. I know exactly how you feel.

I'm between trucks right now. Still looking for the perfect bargain around here. Hoping for a 9th gen 6/5OD, 2wd, ext cab. But my daily right now is an old benz. It's an 89 I got for $800. A guy in his 90's died and none of his kids wanted an 'old station wagon.' At bare bones it's basically your truck. i6 that makes 168hp, 260ftlb torque. Same ignition setup, same ZF 5 speed, 4800lb empty. When I got it I replaced plugs, cap, rotor, filters, hoses all original to the car. Been running like a champ since. While I was in there I noticed a sticker on the batter - Sept. 2002. Haha. I have to order plugs from England, because no one in America sells non-resistor plugs. With a resistor it'll stall out.

I just came in from salting the front steps and warming up mom's car for work. Figured I'd clean mine off, I need to run errands later. She's got an 04 Outback, so a little smaller than mine, thoroughly modern, 4cyl of fail. First I have to scrape hers, then drive it around the block because it won't heat up at idle. Then the wipers don't clean well, mirrors keep icing. It smells like fuel from a cracked line. Thinking about all the crap that's broken or been replaced. 124k miles.

Mine's just been sitting. Been about 10mins. Already so hot that all of the snow is off the roof, windows are all clear, it's about 72 inside the car. Oh, and it's currently at 384,719 miles. Engine and trans never been opened. Only parts replaced before I got it were belts, brakes, muffler, wheel bearings. Not even shocks or springs. Everything can be opened up and rebuilt by hand, no need to buy parts. Couple months ago the computer for the memory seats was messing up. Mirrors, telescope wheel, seats were all haywire. Dealers wants $1600 for a new one. Lol. Opened it, cleaned the copper contacts with steel wool, vacuum it, good to go.

We were having this talk last month in the Va BS thread. I think 85-95 is the best era for vehicles. Not something like a Duster or a Geo haha, but good manufacturers. New enough to be driven daily and break 20mpg. Safe, reliable, comfortable. But old enough to be built right. Sturdy, simple, DIY, cheap. I'll never own anything newer for sure.

I'm kind of glad they don't make 'em like this anymore.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:44 AM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well i'll throw a story in the pile too. I was doing a tune up on a 1986 Econoline E150 this last week with the 302 in it. I was working on it with two other guys that hadn't worked on a van before. They didn't know what a "doghouse" was or that we had to pull it. I was telling them that since the doghouse is a bit of a pain my theory was that it discouraged van owners from performing their regular maintenance.

Now keep in mind the van has been driving from '86-2010 and then it sat for two years. The battery was dead but I threw a new one in it and she purred like a kitten.

Well once we got to slinging new parts in its general direction we changed out the plugs and wires. I saw that the wires we were pulling off still had the cylinder numbers marked on them, so I got suspicious, did a little more investigation and sure enough, they also had 1987 printed on them. I had just driven it down the highway with no problems on 25 year old spark plug wires without so much as a tick or a miss.

I agree about the '85-'95 about being a great era, it's certainly my favorite for a DD. Especially if you get around all the smog junk from the late 80's these trucks sure can run a long time.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 PM
4601ton
Senior User
Heck yea! Great stories guys...I hope more contribute...this could be a cool thread! My old '91 Silverado 4x4 started missing slightly at 197k miles...so I did a tune up. Pretty sure plugs were original...I KNOW the plug wires were, the fuel filter was date coded 8/90 (when truck was built) and the air filter was old (not original). fixed all that and it ran like new again...

Old 02-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Dave804
Postmaster

Yep, this thread has great potential.

I bought an 89 bimmer in 07. 235k miles. Owner used to do cross country drives. When she started driving local in it, the car would cut out at stops. Get underneath, same fuel filter from the factory. 09/88.

A couple weeks ago I checked the duty cycle on my DD. Chasing terrible mpg. She was running 78% rich hahaha. It's the same spark setup as these trucks, but constant injection instead of a pulse. Basically an electronic carb. Adjust the screw for the throttle plate, 50% mix, mpg up by 25%.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:39 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
yep lots of good stories here. i beat the ***** off my 92 f150. ive never been stranded in it and i never hesitate to go anywhere. the only things wrong with it right now are broken leaf springs and exhaust leaks. doesnt burn a drop of oil, even with a maniac behind the wheel that likes to bring the 6 banger over 4k between shifts.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 PM
94BigRed
Senior User
Well its in the wrong age range, but I'll share a tale of the old ovals. My dad had a 65 F-250 with I6, 4 speed stick, and 4.56 gears. Ya know, one of those trucks that can go anywhere but fast. Before I could remember it sat in our pasture, never moved as long as I lived. Jr year of highschool rolls around and me and a buddy get one of those wild hairs that tells us this thing needs to run.

A drained and filled tank of gas, a new fuel line and filter gasket, some fresh oil, and obviously a battery, and no one ever ran a better I6. 17+ years of Kansas weather couldn't kill this thing. Its not at the top of the project list yet, but it's time will come.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 PM
vtjvt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grandpa Bought my 88 F250 new in Feb of 88. Last Sept He passed away at 84 years old, Grandma gave me the truck on the promise I take care of it the way grandpa would. It had been sitting for a few years due to his declining health But she fired right up and I drove her home. A week or so ago I put new plug wires on it (old ones were original) and I put the first set of Brakes on it a month or so ago. The truck still looks and runs like the day he bought it. (yes I was there).

Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 PM
ravens fan
Senior User
nothing real great with my story but i bought my 91 300 6 with 225k on it two years ago and right as i got it it would run hot and overheat....and of course i needed to get home lol so i drove about 8 miles with it pretty hot stupid i know

still runs like a beast with 236k BUILT FORD TOUGH