1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Wheel bearings keep going bad

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 07:00 PM
fitzy67
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel bearings keep going bad

I have an '04 4x4 EB Expy. Ever since I bought it it has had a noise that has gotten worse over time. The noise comes from the front Rt hand as I turn the wheel to the left. It is noticably bad at freeway speeds. My first thought was the wheel bearing which I replaced two months ago. The noise diminished a good deal but never went away completely. Now it is back just as bad as before. I have to wonder if the vaccuum seal never resealed when I replaced the axle shaft because of a bad CV joint. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks, fitzy67.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:11 PM
alloro
Received 4,214 Likes on 2,445 Posts
Are there hubs or wheel bearing in an 04?

Old 02-20-2012, 07:37 PM
fitzy67
Senior User
It has hubs which have the bearings integrated into them. To change the bearing you have to change the entire hub.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 PM
alloro
In that case the problem can't be the bearing races, it has to be the quality of the hubs you're using. You might just have to bite the bullet and get the top dollar ones.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 AM
cdherman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fitzy67
I have an '04 4x4 EB Expy. Ever since I bought it it has had a noise that has gotten worse over time. The noise comes from the front Rt hand as I turn the wheel to the left. It is noticably bad at freeway speeds. My first thought was the wheel bearing which I replaced two months ago. The noise diminished a good deal but never went away completely. Now it is back just as bad as before. I have to wonder if the vaccuum seal never resealed when I replaced the axle shaft because of a bad CV joint. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks, fitzy67.
OK, this may or may not help you, but here goes: 04 has vacuum actuated hubs. In 2wd, vacuum is applied to the bladder in the hub, which moves a ring gear over and locks out the hubs, so the CV joints don't turn.

In both AWD and 4H, the hubs are locked in -- vacuum is released.

If anything is messed up with the solenoid that releases the vacuum, either leakng or only partially releasing the vacuum, it can really mess with the hubs, allowing a partial accutation.

Does your grinding get better in 2wd? Worse? 4H?

One test is to pull the vac line to the hub. Stick a plug in the line so that doesn't get dirt in there during the test and stick a cap or some tape on the nipple on the hub.

If the grinding is gone, then you have isolated your problem to the vac system.

There are many other posts through the years on this -- many of which I read over on the f-150 forums, as they have the same design.

Perhaps this will help....

Old 02-25-2012, 12:49 PM
alloro
Originally Posted by cdherman
OK, this may or may not help you, but here goes: 04 has vacuum actuated hubs. In 2wd, vacuum is applied to the bladder in the hub, which moves a ring gear over and locks out the hubs, so the CV joints don't turn.
You might want to double check your information because as far as I know expeditions and navigators do not have vacuum lockout hubs. What they do have is a vacuum lockout front differential. The vacuum actuator disengages the ring gear hub from the ring gear inside the differential. But whether you're in 2WD or 4WD the front axle will always turn when the vehicle is in motion.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:55 PM
cdherman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by alloro
You might want to double check your information because as far as I know expeditions and navigators do not have vacuum lockout hubs. What they do have is a vacuum lockout front differential. The vacuum actuator disengages the ring gear hub from the ring gear inside the differential. But whether you're in 2WD or 4WD the front axle will always turn when the vehicle is in motion.
Alloro -- you may be a post master, but you are more often wrong than not. Go check it yourself... Do you own an 03--06 expy? Own a shop manual?

And FYI -- the transfer case to front diff lockout for 03-06 is electronic, not vacumn. Per my own shop manual. Maybe you have never read one?

What you suggest above, I think is correct for 98-02 expys, might be correct for 07 and up, though I doubt it.

There is an old saying about "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" attributed to Abraham Lincoln. Think about it before you respond to this post.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:00 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Meow. That was harsh.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:08 AM
alloro
Alloro -- you may be a post master, but you are more often wrong than not. Go check it yourself.
Actually I did go check it first. Go look up the front hubs for an 04, none of them (4WD included) have any vacuum operated components on them.
2004 FORD EXPEDITION Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly

So maybe it's built into the half shaft instead you say? Nope, wrong again.
2004 FORD EXPEDITION CV Half Shaft Assembly

Well I've shown you that vacuum actuated hubs don't exist, now are you going to put up or shut up, or just ramble on some more? You want to pick a fight bring it on, just make sure you've got more to back yourself up than the mindless garbage you've already spewed out!

Old 02-26-2012, 01:15 AM
alloro
And FYI -- the transfer case to front diff lockout for 03-06 is electronic, not vacumn. Per my own shop manual. Maybe you have never read one?
Yep, not only have I read "one", but I've actually read it and comprehended what I was reading, unlike you. At no time did I mention the transfer case, I mentioned the front differential. I am well aware that the transfer case sends power to the front drive shaft by engaging an electric clutch, but I didn't mention the transfer case or the drive shaft, now did I? I said, "the vacuum actuator disengages the ring gear hub from the ring gear inside the differential."

Old 02-26-2012, 07:58 AM
cdherman
Posting Guru
Actually I did go check it first. Go look up the front hubs for an 04, none of them (4WD included) have any vacuum operated components on them.
2004 FORD EXPEDITION Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly

So maybe it's built into the half shaft instead you say? Nope, wrong again.
2004 FORD EXPEDITION CV Half Shaft Assembly

Well I've shown you that vacuum actuated hubs don't exist, now are you going to put up or shut up, or just ramble on some more? You want to pick a fight bring it on, just make sure you've got more to back yourself up than the mindless garbage you've already spewed out!
Oh boy -- I am impressed. Links to RockAuto to "prove" you are right.

Just because rockauto doesn't show it, it doesn't exist .....

Well, I am too lazy to scan my SHOP MANUAL to prove this to you.

Here's a link to the item in question on eBay (admittedly, I am stooping to your level)

OEM 2004-2008 Ford F-150 F 150 4x4 Hub Lock Actuator IWE PAIR w/ Vacuum Solenoid | eBay

The vacuum actuator is a separate part that fits on the other side of the hub. Its not built into the hub, but its behind the hub. But 03-06 MOST CERTAINLY has vacuum actuated hubs.

Keep digging alloro -- your holes getting deeper and your ignorance more evident.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:03 AM
cdherman
Posting Guru
Yep, not only have I read "one", but I've actually read it and comprehended what I was reading, unlike you. At no time did I mention the transfer case, I mentioned the front differential. I am well aware that the transfer case sends power to the front drive shaft by engaging an electric clutch, but I didn't mention the transfer case or the drive shaft, now did I? I said, "the vacuum actuator disengages the ring gear hub from the ring gear inside the differential."
What you said "the vacuum actuator disengages the ring gear hub from the ring gear inside the differential" is wrong.

There is no engageing or disengageing the front end from inside the differential WHATSOEVER. There is an electric clutch in the transfer case, which I was merely pointing out to you. And there are vacuum actuators out at the hubs.

But nothing "inside the differential"...

Old 02-26-2012, 08:05 AM
cdherman
Posting Guru
Are there hubs or wheel bearing in an 04?
And a question like this is evidence that you have "read and comprehended" an 04 shop manual?

Alloro -- for once, just quit while you are behind.....

Old 02-26-2012, 08:07 AM
fitzy67
Senior User
Not together in the middle of this, gentlemen, but there is a vacuum collar on the back side of the metal mounting bracket that the CV shaft goes through. The hub assembly mounts on the opposite side (wheel side). I know this because I had to remove this in order to install the CV shaft. This vacuum assembly has ring gears that mesh with the ring gears on the end of the CV shaft. There is a black rubber hose that attaches to the vacuum assembly. My next move is to check the vacuum pressure and see if it's disengaging. Thank you for your help.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:13 AM
fitzy67
Senior User

In both AWD and 4H, the hubs are locked in -- vacuum is released.

If anything is messed up with the solenoid that releases the vacuum, either leakng or only partially releasing the vacuum, it can really mess with the hubs, allowing a partial accutation.

Does your grinding get better in 2wd? Worse? 4H?

One test is to pull the vac line to the hub. Stick a plug in the line so that doesn't get dirt in there during the test and stick a cap or some tape on the nipple on the hub.

If the grinding is gone, then you have isolated your problem to the vac system.

There are many other posts through the years on this -- many of which I read over on the f-150 forums, as they have the same design.

Perhaps this will help....
It's not really a grinding as much as a vibration noise. If ring gear on the vacuum assembly doesn't disengage on one wheel but does on the other could that cause a bearing type noise/vibration?

Quick Reply: Wheel bearings keep going bad