Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

P1316 HELP NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think I have a bad or sticky injector.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:26 PM
73ferdf250highboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was having the same type of issue. slight miss when "cold" starting. no codes, (i have the little red superchip programmer thing) but bad mpg. i finally went under the valve cover to see what the heck is wrong in there. no shims & no money in there. anyways, i had the valvecovers off- lets start it to see if i had oil flow to all injectors: yes. unplugged the suspected infector. no change in cold, lumpy, missy idle. plugged it back in: miss went away- seems to run alot better! put about 25-30 miles on it yesterday. went out this morning "cold" started...she runs great, drove it a few miles no issues.

my guess was a sticky injector

my .02

kurt

99 7.3 4x4 cc drw

Old 02-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

My mechanic tells me he did a contribution test and that my #8 injector is bad. Cost to fix is between $500-$550. He said the price for the injector is $330.

What do yall think? Should I just do this myself? How much can I get that injector for? I have been into the driver side VC, is it hard to get the injector out?

Old 02-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Studawg
My mechanic tells me he did a contribution test and that my #8 injector is bad. Cost to fix is between $500-$550. He said the price for the injector is $330.

What do yall think? Should I just do this myself? How much can I get that injector for? I have been into the driver side VC, is it hard to get the injector out?
Very common for #8 to fail the CCT test even while #8 injector is operating correctly.
Your original code was for the #3 injector, correct? Did your mechanic find any other codes besides P1316?

I think I've asked this question before but forgive me if I forgot the answer....
The truck actually runs fine....correct? No other issues other than a random SES light?

Old 02-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Very common for #8 to fail the CCT test even while #8 injector is operating correctly.
Your original code was for the #3 injector, correct? Did your mechanic find any other codes besides P1316?

I think I've asked this question before but forgive me if I forgot the answer....
The truck actually runs fine....correct? No other issues other than a random SES light?
So I gathered after doing a little searching on here. Now im worried that isnt the problem. Yes the original code was 1273. He said he just got the 1316 code and that #8 failed the CCT. The truck actually does idle kinda rough. It will lope, or kinda rock back and forth a little.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

... It will lope, or kinda rock back and forth a little.
Perfect....now is the time to pull off both valve covers and start the engine. Observe the oil discharge spout on each injector and see if any appear to be different from the rest. Might want to pay extra attention to #3 (which will be nice and easy to see...)

Old 02-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

The truck is at the mechanic's, 17 miles away. I am at a total effing loss here. I dont know what to do. I already wasted money on an IDM because I thought that was it since it ran fine with my IDM in it. Now Im out a few hundred for that because I cant return it. I wasted time pulling both VCs only to find both connectors fully plugged in with ford shims in both side. Now a mechanic tells me I need a new injector, but I find out on here that that injector regularly fails a CCT. Meanwhile I got people calling me wanting to buy the truck because I have it advertised and I keep having to tell them all this and that its something minor but I cant figure it out. I am sorry to vent here, but I am totally frustrated and stressed to the effing max.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:19 PM
73ferdf250highboy
Elder User
not terribly hard, just kinda messy. make sure not to double washer.6.0L powerstroke injector(s) replacement - YouTube

this is on a 6.0 but not any different

paid $225 each from diamond diesel here in west sac.
i charged him $150 to do it.

kurt

Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

The truck is at the mechanic's, 17 miles away. I am at a total effing loss here. I dont know what to do. I already wasted money on an IDM because I thought that was it since it ran fine with my IDM in it. Now Im out a few hundred for that because I cant return it. I wasted time pulling both VCs only to find both connectors fully plugged in with ford shims in both side. Now a mechanic tells me I need a new injector, but I find out on here that that injector regularly fails a CCT. Meanwhile I got people calling me wanting to buy the truck because I have it advertised and I keep having to tell them all this and that its something minor but I cant figure it out. I am sorry to vent here, but I am totally frustrated and stressed to the effing max.
I can sympathize...
Well, if the mechanic will guarantee that #8 is bad and replacing it will solve your problem then maybe that might not be a bad option for you at this point...

If I was in your situation, I would put the replacement IDM in the Excursion...driving it around for a while until it gets good and hot and see if the codes return. If you don't get any codes after a week, then put the original (working) IDM from the Excursion in the truck and sell it.

Or....how much does a new IDM cost from the dealer? Is it less than $500? You said the truck ran fine with the IDM from the X so it sounds like you solved your problem already....perhaps it was just some bad luck and you got faulty replacement IDMs and that is throwing you off the trouble shooting process.

Last edited by Shake-N-Bake; 02-20-2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: more detail
Old 02-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
I can sympathize...
Well, if the mechanic will guarantee that #8 is bad and replacing it will solve your problem then maybe that might not be a bad option for you at this point...

If I was in your situation, I would put the replacement IDM in the Excursion...driving it around for a while until it gets good and hot and see if the codes return. If you don't get any codes after a week, then put the original (working) IDM from the Excursion in the truck and sell it.

Or....how much does a new IDM cost from the dealer? Is it less than $500? You said the truck ran fine with the IDM from the X so it sounds like you solved your problem already....perhaps it was just some bad luck and you got faulty replacement IDMs and that is throwing you off the trouble shooting process.
Yeah, thats what Im gonna tell him. If he feels comfortable replacing that injector, knowing that if it doesnt fix the problem, then Im not gonna pay, then go for it. But im not paying him to be trained or experiment, Im paying him to fix the problem that I brought it in for.

Maybe it was bad luck, I just didnt think I could get two bad IDMs from two totally different sources.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:43 PM
73ferdf250highboy
Elder User
you could always just take #8 out move it to the front of the motor- restart see if the the miss follows. use a temp gun if you have one.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
has this beed resolved??

Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Originally Posted by joeyd61
has this beed resolved??
I told him to proceed with changing #8, should be done tomorrow. I'll be sure to post the results.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 PM
bluescrew
Elder User
time for an oil change?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Studawg
Thread Ender

that was the first thing I did when I got my hands on the truck

Quick Reply: P1316 HELP NEEDED