1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

92 ranger won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 04:19 PM
92rangerman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 ranger won't start

I have a 92 ford ranger. About a year ago it shut down on me as I was pulling out of a parking lot. I replaced the Cam sensor which IS NOT located on the engine block by the fire wall. It is located on the front of the engine just above the primary cam which is just above the crank shaft and its sensor. It fired right up. Then the oil pump went out and I just replaced it the other day and the pressure gauge/needle went past the half way mark even at idle. I drove around a bit, maybe 10 miles, then got in it to go to the gas station and got about 50ft from the house and it just died again and will not crank back up.
I am thinking its that dern cam sensor again. But, just like the oil pump was, it's a pain to get to and replace. Can someone tell me how to test it. Oh, it is a 2.3 4 cyl. double overhead cam. Or can you give me some direction on maybe something else it might be and how to test all of whatever you may suggest. I do have fuel pressure, I checked that already. Thanks to who ever responds but PLEASE no idiots on guessing. I'm already good at that myself. Thank you

Old 02-15-2012, 04:49 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
92rangerman. If you have a 92 that is original then you do NOT have a Cam sensor

You are saying the truck does not Crank. This means when you turn the key you get nothing. Do your headlights work?

Old 02-15-2012, 11:59 PM
92rangerman
New User
Powersmoke, the engine turns over but no start. I'm sure I'm getting NO spark although I have not checked this. I know I'm getting fuel and air. I'm no mechanic but I do know you need the three elements to obtain ignition and I do know that with the cam or crank sensor out, you will get no spark.
The part I replaced a year ago or so is called a cam sensor, I think that's what they said it was. It is located on the middle pulley which is the lower cam shaft. I used a match book to set the gap between it. When I replaced it a year ago it fired right up. It basically did to me this time the same thing it did when that part went out. I pulled off to go and it just died and then would not fire up again.
And to you critterf1, I asked that idiots not apply to my problem please. Maybe yuo were replying to your tinker toys not having two. We are talking real vehicles here so please stay out of our conversation.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:46 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by critterf1
The 2.3 was not a DOHC engine.
Originally Posted by 92rangerman
Powersmoke, the engine turns over but no start. I'm sure I'm getting NO spark although I have not checked this. I know I'm getting fuel and air. I'm no mechanic but I do know you need the three elements to obtain ignition and I do know that with the cam or crank sensor out, you will get no spark.
The part I replaced a year ago or so is called a cam sensor, I think that's what they said it was. It is located on the middle pulley which is the lower cam shaft. I used a match book to set the gap between it. When I replaced it a year ago it fired right up. It basically did to me this time the same thing it did when that part went out. I pulled off to go and it just died and then would not fire up again.
And to you critterf1, I asked that idiots not apply to my problem please. Maybe yuo were replying to your tinker toys not having two. We are talking real vehicles here so please stay out of our conversation.
92 rangerman.....I'll say it again......if you have an untoched 1992 then you do not have a cam positioning sensor.......I guess you might be talking about a crank positioning sensor. you should pull the timing belt cover back and see if the belt broke.

I am not sure why you are being a blatant a jerk, but you did hijack the thread including a wise crack about no "idiots posting"....then "critterf1" was trying to help you and you have the "toys" comment......He is correct you have a SOHC engine.........I suggest you be polite and start a new thread.......I would lay off the wisecracks and I think you will get your answers....

Old 02-16-2012, 08:15 AM
92rangerman
New User
Originally Posted by michigan66
Easy, 92rangerman, critterf1 was trying to be helpful. I realize you are new to FTE, but that kind of response isn't needed.

Your '92 4 cylinder engine is the Lima engine. It is a single overhead cam (SOHC) engine that has dual spark plugs for each cylinder. It also has two coil packs, one providing spark to the driver's side set of plugs and the other coil provides spark to the passenger side of the engine.

Is your check engine light on? If so, take the truck to an auto parts store, have the codes read and post the results here.

Muddyriversdogz, what brand of spark plugs and wires did you install? This Lima engine is partial to Motorcraft plugs and wires.

There is a fuel pressure relief valve on the fuel rail. Have you pulled the vacuum line off to see if it is wet with fuel? Fuel supply to the engine may still be an issue.

To each of you. how many miles are on your trucks?

There is nothiing wrong with the belt, the belt is also new. The truck has no check engine light on except when you first turn the ignition on and then it goes out. My original question was, How can I test the cam sensor which you are calling the crank positioning sensor. I have already gone over all the basics and thought I put that in my original quote or question and or any other "TESTS" with in the wiring or giving the fire to the ignition. I have since tested to see if the the packs have juice running to them and they do or the one does anyway that feeds the right side of the engine

Old 02-16-2012, 08:30 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
92rangerman. Please start a new thread. You hijacked the OP's thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:53 AM
92rangerman
New User
Originally Posted by powersmoked
92rangerman. Please start a new thread. You hijacked the OP's thread

d k h
o n o
n o w
" w
t

Old 02-16-2012, 03:04 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There you have your own thread now.

in the future you can start a new thread by clickiing on the start new thread button at the top right of the forum.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:24 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Please be polite to myself and the other members and we will help you, also please concentrate on the exact names of the parts you are describing. You are using a lot of malaprops.

try and avoid "I think" answers. We need specific answers and details.

You need to determine if you have fuel and spark?

you can check for fuel with a pressure tester or else at koeo hold a rag over the shrader valve and carefully push it in....see how much fuel you are getting. if your pressure is fine it will spray out pretty hard so be careful.

check for spark by using an old plug and grounding it as someone cranks the engine. Check for spark on the passenger side.

you should check for codes. this would help a lot. usually when a crankshaft positioning sensor goes it throws a code and since your truck does not start we do not know if the CEL is on.......

you said the timing belt was new. when was that installed?

Old 02-16-2012, 04:48 PM
92rangerman
New User
ok, in posting the exact name of items, then tell me what a CEL is ? please try to do the same if you would please. In all my comments I have ALWAYS said please. I would think that that is being polite, I have done this to EVERYONE.
Now, how bout lets ALL STOP with everything but the isssue here PLEASE.

As far as the belt, as I stated already, was replaced less than a year ago. It is not broken, frayed or damaged in any way. I have stated already that I have fuel pressure and oxygen and no spark. I have stated that I checked the red wire going into the coil pack, which feeds the right side of truck and have power here. There is no spark because either the positioning sensor or the crank censor is probably bad. I was told that either of these would cause a no spark situation.

But just for the sake of yours or some one else's opinion, lets go over everything again and get your input***********
The truck, cranks but will not start. It has a belt that nothing is wrong with, when you crank the truck both cam pulley's and the crank pulley go round and round. It has fuel pressure of a little over 40 psi and is sucking in air. With a test light, the red wire on the firing coil pack which is the rear pack feeding the right side of the motor's four plugs. Using a safety pin, I stuck it in each one of those plug wires and using the test light and a multi tester, I got nothing. Again, this same thing happened to me over a year ago and it turned out to be the sensor ( four wire's- round plug under the intake just beside the ignition module and it has a white one that leaves out and plugs into another whit one by itself.) which is located on the middle cam shaft, front of the engine, just above the crank shaft pulley (or harmonic balance) and crank shaft pulley and crank sensor.. Could you please give me some direction with this information and how to test this particular sensor or anything else you come up with. Thank you

Old 02-16-2012, 05:44 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CEL= Check Engine Light

Old 02-16-2012, 06:04 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 92rangerman
o
The truck, cranks but will not start. It has a belt that nothing is wrong with, when you crank the truck both cam pulley's and the crank pulley go round and round. ................................. which is located on the middle cam shaft,
I am a little confused and I don't want to be guessing. I know you told us you did not want us guessing so could you please post a picture of both camshaft pulleys and also a pic of the middle camshaft....thanks.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:00 PM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by powersmoked
I am a little confused and I don't want to be guessing. I know you told us you did not want us guessing so could you please post a picture of both camshaft pulleys and also a pic of the middle camshaft....thanks.

Can't wait to see this.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:48 PM
97ranger xlt
More Turbo
Originally Posted by critterf1
Can't wait to see this.
my popcorn is 1/2 done already .. need to top up

Old 02-16-2012, 08:01 PM
critterf1
Posting Guru
I really need to go start my 512c.i., 1948 "Tinker Toy"!

Quick Reply: 92 ranger won't start