1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

emissions diagram or picture?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 01:12 PM
emallen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emissions diagram or picture?

Hi all, got all the electrical working on the old truck, and now am going to tackle the emissions.... luckily in PA (for now) the emissions "stuff" doesn't have to work, it just has to BE there. So long as it looks good to the inspection mechanic, it passes.

Years ago we took most of the emissions stuff off and threw it in the junk pile (I know, pretty dumb ). Luckily, I was able to recently re-gather most of the bits and pieces from other sources. So earlier today I took a deep breath, opened the manual, and lo and behold the emissions-related pages in the book are MISSING (along with half the electrical, and some of the cooling).

Could somebody either take a picture of their *perfect* engine emissions setup, or maybe even a picture from a manual??

Thanks!!

edited to add, if it matters, and probably does, I have a 300 6-cyl. carb, used to have air conditioning.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:59 PM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was all set to help you up until you said 300-6. I've only owned 1 and it's emissions equipment was LONG gone by the time I got it.

Yeah and transmission are probably needed too.

Just find a mechanic that isn't familiar with the older trucks and let him think that everything is there...

Or spend the money and get the waiver and keep mileage under 5k. These trucks sometimes suffer from intermittent speedometers where the cable sometimes falls out of the back of them...

Old 02-14-2012, 02:12 PM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by f100beatertruck
I was all set to help you up until you said 300-6. I've only owned 1 and it's emissions equipment was LONG gone by the time I got it.

Yeah and transmission are probably needed too.

Just find a mechanic that isn't familiar with the older trucks and let him think that everything is there...

Or spend the money and get the waiver and keep mileage under 5k. These trucks sometimes suffer from intermittent speedometers where the cable sometimes falls out of the back of them...
Why are you recommending odometer fraud ? That ain't cool....

Old 02-14-2012, 02:35 PM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

These trucks have long since been exempt from mileage disclosure and I don't remember how many times I've swapped tach clusters with trip odometers in and out of trucks where mileages have varied greatly up and down...

To each his own I guess and if the mods feel the need to edit anything I fully understand.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:40 PM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
These trucks have long since been exempt from mileage disclosure and I don't remember how many times I've swapped tach clusters with trip odometers in and out of trucks where mileages have varied greatly up and down...

To each his own I guess and if the mods feel the need to edit anything I fully understand.

I know that the old trucks are for the most part mileage exempt & the miles on these old trucks are "write-offs". But, it is a federal crime to tamper with the odometers just for future reference.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Originally Posted by emallen
Hi all, got all the electrical working on the old truck, and now am going to tackle the emissions.... luckily in PA (for now) the emissions "stuff" doesn't have to work, it just has to BE there. So long as it looks good to the inspection mechanic, it passes.

Years ago we took most of the emissions stuff off and threw it in the junk pile (I know, pretty dumb ). Luckily, I was able to recently re-gather most of the bits and pieces from other sources. So earlier today I took a deep breath, opened the manual, and lo and behold the emissions-related pages in the book are MISSING (along with half the electrical, and some of the cooling).

Could somebody either take a picture of their *perfect* engine emissions setup, or maybe even a picture from a manual??

Thanks!!

edited to add, if it matters, and probably does, I have a 300 6-cyl. carb, used to have air conditioning.
Your most accurate diagram will be on the radiator support. Take a photo of it if you can. Even if you told us the year(which you need to do) we could only get you close.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:51 PM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by KingBigJoe
I know that the old trucks are for the most part mileage exempt & the miles on these old trucks are "write-offs". But, it is a federal crime to tamper with the odometers just for future reference.
It's also a federal crime to remove emissions equipment...

It's good to point out though. The OP can make his own decision on what to do.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:55 PM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
It's also a federal crime to remove emissions equipment...

It's good to point out though. The OP can make his own decision on what to do.
F100... I wasn't trying to be mean when you recommended the odometer fraud. As I look back & read it... I sounded harsh. I'm sorry.

KBJ

Last edited by KingBigJoe; 02-14-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: I made a mistake.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Thomas Boersma
New User
Once a vehicle has had an issue with the odometer, such as being non functional, replaced, rolled over, or otherwise inoperative, the vehicle (in most states) becomes odometer exempt, which is common on older vehicles. While there is a federal law against tampering towards misrepresentation of true milage for selling purposes, it is not illegal to have an inoperative odometer (in most cases) or to work on it yourself.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:34 PM
emallen
New User
Thanks for the conversation! I did look into applying for the exemption, but it was way more time-consuming and complicated than I was into. It involved getting signed letters from parts dealers, junkyards etc.., as well as numerous and ridiculous forms to the great State of PA.

I figured it was easier to wing it, put enough pieces back on, and run enough hoses I could get some one to pass it without endangering their license. Franklin, the diagram was by the radiator like you said, never paid much attention to that side. That will help.

Sorry! My truck is a 1982... I'll edit my avatar or whatever so that I have all the specs up front.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:47 PM
emallen
New User
I have to have 25 posts to add a signature...

1982 Ford F150 Custom XL shortbed 4WD 300 6yl 4-speed standard!

Old 02-14-2012, 04:44 PM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by KingBigJoe
F100... I wasn't trying to be mean when you recommended the odometer fraud. As I look back & read it... I sounded harsh. I'm sorry.

KBJ
I wasn't trying to be mean back, which is why I said thanks for pointing it out.

Little in life is black or white, we have so many laws on the books that they've lost count. So sooner or later we're going to get to that line and have to make a decision. I believe in people making their own decisions. I made light of it but it's good to point out there could be problems.

It's all good. Sorry if I sounded harsh to you.

Also, in PA, any vehicle more than 10 years old can be exempted from mileage disclose. It isn't mandatory and I've disclosed mileage on older cars but you don't have to. Once exempted on a title it's exempt. There is no more reporting of mileage.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:51 PM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Thanks for the conversation! I did look into applying for the exemption, but it was way more time-consuming and complicated than I was into. It involved getting signed letters from parts dealers, junkyards etc.., as well as numerous and ridiculous forms to the great State of PA.
If you get a PA licensed emissions mechanic to do the work or at least sign off on receipts you bring him you can get a one year waver. The fee used to be $450 but I think it's been lowered to $150. You do not have to bring it into compliance to get the waiver, just spend enough money this year and they'll expect more repairs next year or a mileage exemption. I have a couple vehicles so my truck usually gets around 3,500 miles/yr. One once did I get close.

Call a shop or two, of better yet, go over and talk to them in person and tell them what you have and ask about the waiver limits. If you drive less than 5k a year it might not be worth fixing.

It's been years since I've done it, but I've gotten waivers before. In fact the first year I had my 86 F150 it got a waiver, the second year it passed by the skin of it's teeth and it's been mileage exempted since.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 AM
emallen
New User
Thanks guys for the responses. I still think I'll try first to put the emissions components back on... Partly because I'm allergic to fees and waiver forms and all that .

I ordered a used Haynes manual from Amazon, cost me only $7.31 total. I needed another manual anyway since the spine came off my my original, and is in about 100 chunks with lots of missing pages. I don't know how good the Haynes manuals are, but it was cheap and worth a shot.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I ordered a used Haynes manual from Amazon, cost me only $7.31 total. I needed another manual anyway since the spine came off my my original, and is in about 100 chunks with lots of missing pages. I don't know how good the Haynes manuals are, but it was cheap and worth a shot.

My preference in manuals are the same ones that they use at the dealerships. They are made by a company called Helm Inc., here is their link;
Service Manuals, Owner Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, Service Bulletins - Helm Incorporated
They are not cheap, but they are the best. If you plan on keeping your truck for a long time, these are a very worthwhile investment.

Quick Reply: emissions diagram or picture?