6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Edge cts questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:04 PM
katesdad
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the responses from all. great info. another question, were the problems with the insight or the programmer on the 2012's?

Old 02-13-2012, 05:39 PM
AA99
Senior User
Yes, it just connects through the OBDII port. The Insight is just a monitor, but the cool thing is if you ever want to add the Evolution programmer to the Insight monitor you can (they sell an upgrade kit)! This is a great link to show you the differences between the 2 along with the dash pod!

We also put the Evolution backup camera on our SEMA truck last year and it worked really well (it is an upgrade option).

Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 PM
jack_pine
Elder User

I am wondering if I could get the backup camera option and mount it on the back of my 31' travel trailer? Thoughts?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,563 Likes on 730 Posts
I did just that. I put the camera on the back of my GN horse trailer. I can see where the trailer is backing on the Edge and see the Jack leg on the Ford in dash screen to know when I'm over my wood blocks.

The Edge CTS is a fairly generic product. Works on all vehicles with ODBII ports. So it doesn't neccessaryily work right out of the box on the latest generation of vehicles until you upgrade the software. The Software upgardes are tied to your S/N. So you need to call and get Edge to put the latest software up for your S/N. So there are really no problems with the 2011 or 2012's, But mine didn't work out of the box until I upgraded.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
I did just that. I put the camera on the back of my GN horse trailer. I can see where the trailer is backing on the Edge and see the Jack leg on the Ford in dash screen to know when I'm over my wood blocks.
Is the camera on the trailer cabled or wireless? How do you make the connection? And one more thing; will the Edge allow two cameras or just one? I'd like to see behind and inside the trailer when running down the road.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:02 AM
jack_pine
Elder User

The Edge CTS is a fairly generic product. Works on all vehicles with ODBII ports. So it doesn't neccessaryily work right out of the box on the latest generation of vehicles until you upgrade the software. The Software upgardes are tied to your S/N. So you need to call and get Edge to put the latest software up for your S/N. So there are really no problems with the 2011 or 2012's, But mine didn't work out of the box until I upgraded.
Thanks, have made note of the software upgrade.

What kind of connectors did you use for the camera for when you disconnect the trailer?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
I just went over to Radio shack and bought a 50' length of wire. Threaded it thru the channels on my trailer and have a video jack hanging right next to my hitch. I then threaded a second wire into the fender wall of my truck bed and inder the door threashold and up the rubber seal to the dash and plugged it into the Edge.

When ever I hook up the trailer, I just plug the wire by the hitch into the plug in the bed. Radio shack had the wire and the blank video jacks. Cut the wire to any length and attach the ends.

I bought a plain jane license plate camera off Ebay vs buying the Edge camera.

An no the edge doesn't deal with two cameras. So you would have to put some sort of switch or relay between the two cameras and the Edge. Also the Edge will only display the camera view while you are backing up. Same as the in dash Nav screen.

I was thinking of adding a 3rd camera that focuses on the gooseneck ball and then switching the connectors when I did up the chains to back of the trailer camera. A whole lot cheaper than the lock pick but only works in reverse.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Jayybird
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Can the CTS monitor EGTs? Is an EGT probe necessary?

Thanks

Old 03-08-2012, 04:24 PM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
Yes it monitors the factory probes

Old 03-08-2012, 07:19 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayybird
Can the CTS monitor EGTs? Is an EGT probe necessary?

Thanks
EGT11 is EGT1 on the CTS, EGT12 is EGT2 on the CTS, etc..

Old 03-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Jaybird, Just remember they are all POST TURBO and way downstream from Pyro probes you have used on previous diesel trucks. Factor in a lower tempeture than you would have on exhaust manifold in your old 6.0L or 7.3L because of the distance from the exhaust port to the first EGT.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Great Danes
More Turbo
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Jaybird, Just remember they are all POST TURBO and way downstream from Pyro probes you have used on previous diesel trucks. Factor in a lower tempeture than you would have on exhaust manifold in your old 6.0L or 7.3L because of the distance from the exhaust port to the first EGT.
By the sounds of your post, does that mean it is better to have the EGT's monitored PRE TURBO, or just closer to the turbo than the stock locations?

Also.... Can someone clarify/confirm if the Edge Evolution leaves a trace in the ECU if it is used to increase power, but returned to stock mode prior to taking the truck in for service. Obviously, the unit itself would be removed as well so the techs don't see it. In other words, is it traceable?

Old 03-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Jayybird
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks fellas, has any one installed an EGt probe preturbo? That's where I would like to monitor my temps. However, I really don't want to go drilling and tapping on things.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
If you are pushing your engine, You want the Pyro Probe as close to the Exhaust port as possible so you can monitor the exhaust temps and not melt your valves or turbo. Having the probe downstream after the turbo will relect temps that have dropped significantly as they traveled thru the turbo and down the exhaust pipe.

We used to talk about never exceeding 1300 to 1350° on the pyro when it was mounted in the exhaust manifold. The programers would defuel the engine if you hit preset thresholds. Hopefully preventing any damage. With the radical change in engine design, Inboard exhaust port andthe turbo mounted directly over the exhaust area. It is not as easy to install a Pyro thermo couple as the old 7.3L or 6.0L engines.

You are probably looking at watching for 1000° on the EGT probes in the exhaust of the 6.7L But it is hard to really know. It's all guess work, You could hit temps hot enough to burn a valve and the exhaust could cool enough by time it passes thru turbo and gets down to the 1st EGT at the Cat that it might not look like a problem. You will have to drive you truck and make notes of what the maximum temp is in stock configuration and use your judgement as to what you want as max when tuned.

Personally I think anything done to the programing can be traced. But I don't know how much memory is in the trucks or how long it can store data. I'm sure that parameters about injector volumns and boost pressure are stored for some period, but not forever. Regardless of memory, Burn or flame patterns on the piston heads can also indicate that extra fuel was sent thru the cyclinder. So if a full engine break down is ever done, A knowledgable mechanic or engineer would notice the difference flame patterns from what a stock piston looks like.

If you want to play with tuning a modern diesel, You should be prepared to pay the price if you destroy an engine. It's not Fords fault and no warranty should cover an engine that you push beyond its design.

The mechanics never challeged me on my Evolution on my 6.0L They performed warranty work that was not related to tunning an engine and didn't care. Things like changing out glow plugs, replacing FCIM. But I'm sure if I had every had stretched head studs, burned piston or exhaust valves, They would have challenged my request for warrany work.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:19 AM
aaronbrace
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jack_pine
Does anyone have this on the 2012 yet?
I have one in my 2012 with a 01/12 build date. Works just fine as others have said.

Mine came with the latest software so I was already all set. Just received the CTS last week.

So far I am pretty impressed with it. It is nice upgrade over the ScanGauge that I have in my other vehicle.

---Aaron

Quick Reply: Edge cts questions