6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Tick in the motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:46 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Steadyman321
So what an I looking at for a finale bill? Any guesses.

IDK if Mike ment you had a Lifter needle bearing going out I think he ment run 6.0 run

Im not shure on that one

Have you crawled around the moter to try and dial in where the tick is coming from

Old 02-13-2012, 09:18 PM
dukie1877
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I am curious besides the FICM and the oil changing 1000 miles ago is that all that you have done to the truck? Did you take anything apart or do anything else to it when you were diagnosing any problems like the FICM or anything else?

Old 02-14-2012, 04:34 AM
Steadyman321
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, I used the scangaugeII to read my voltage on the ficm, the tick sounds like its coming from the front left (if your standing in front of the truck) of the motor lower half. I used to play around with my car motors but obviously I don't know anything about diesel so if it's not something simple like undoing three clips to take out the ficm I'm not even going to try playing around with things.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:27 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I have been in canada and am out of touch when I'm up there. Z hilton, sorry for being thin skinned, that news kinda broke my heart. I have been looking on my service manual and it doesnt address the lifters at all. If I can replace them, I might. The 4k engine from blackstone sounds ok too. I am going to start a new thread asking for the procedure.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:56 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Zhilton, about my hpop bearing thought, I was hoping the bearing in the gear strictly because of where its coming from. Prob fat chance tho huh? Or maybe the stc fitting somehow came loose and the bolts are squeaking with the pulse of each revolution of the gear. That's picturebook,,,,, grasping at straws there.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:42 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 06' six-O,,seems to tick a little,,,but I think it is or maybe an exhaust leak,,where the exhaust manifolds bolt to the head,,,when drilling the drivers side exhaust manifold for my EGT probe,,I noticed a few exhaust ports with black sooty residue around them as in leaking somewhat,,,!!!

Also the whole Block was very crusty,,as in Rust Crust,,,about 1/4" thick,,,scraping and cleaning it was done and then sprayed with, Amsoil metal protector,,,,Check them out !!

Old 02-17-2012, 05:42 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by run6.0run
Zhilton, about my hpop bearing thought, I was hoping the bearing in the gear strictly because of where its coming from. Prob fat chance tho huh? Or maybe the stc fitting somehow came loose and the bolts are squeaking with the pulse of each revolution of the gear.
I'm not saying that ain't it. We're talking about an engine with bearings & sensors all over the place. Anything is possible. If that was the case, you'd think Cheezit, M-chan or one of the other techs would have said something like that. Maybe it's one of those really rare things. I'm hoping it's something really simple & quick to fix. I'd like to see your engine making 500k miles before it needs work. I just know from what I've read/seen when you start talking about lifter issues...your almost better off dropping a long block in verses tearing everything down to replace a $10 part. At least with the long block you get a warranty.
Originally Posted by m350
...but I think it is or maybe an exhaust leak,,where the exhaust manifolds bolt to the head,,,when drilling the drivers side exhaust manifold for my EGT probe,,I noticed a few exhaust ports with black sooty residue around them as in leaking somewhat,,,!!!
It's possible, and if it's been leaking a while you'll notice allot more power once all that exhaust is getting to the turbo. FYI, from the factory there isn't a gasket on the exhaust manifold.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:57 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
I agree that cheezit or m-chan surely would have seen this if that was the issue. I was grasping at straws. I dont know if you saw my other post but,,,, it went away!?!?!? I dont know wether to be happy or scared. Oh and I'm sorry for being so sensitive before. Hearing that I might need a long block because of a squeak, well, I think you understand,,, but I am sorry. Btw, if I could (or knew how to fully inspect the cam) replace the lifters, I think I would give it a shot. I will take some practice pullin the engine. In my line of work, it doesnt pay to be scared of the truck. Has anyone seen that guy on ebay that is selling a plate that bolts where the turbo does and only requires one connecting point to pull the engine. I think I will be the guinea pig.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:03 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
I would also like to see 500k. I should be at 470k by next weekend. 462k now. Shute, how about 600k. I just feel like I'm going to lose all my miles if I have to replace the engine. I'm so far past the point of worrying about "low miles" that I wanna stack em up as many as possible. I'm proud of em.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Steadyman321
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only have 74,000 and I have the chirp, the tick and a slow/long start and Ed just fix the ficm three weeks ago :/

Old 02-17-2012, 06:15 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Steadyman, does your sound, sound like a belt squeaking after shutdown. It would squeak 3 times max after the injectors shut down. I wonder if you could put the tensioner on the kickstand without removing the belt to rule out the accessory drive system without it messing up anything. Maybe cheezit or m-chan have input on this.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:13 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
I wonder if you could put the tensioner on the kickstand without removing the belt to rule out the accessory drive system without it messing up anything. Maybe cheezit or m-chan have input on this.

Interesting I thought of the same thing

My luck it might catch and shread stuff up good IDK

If you do it let us know how it goes

Old 02-17-2012, 08:21 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I seen your post about the sound/noise has mysteriously vanished. I'm far from an expert on these engines....so I don't know if that means the final countdown has begun or it has "corrected itself" As much as we make fun of Bill Hewitt on here. He does have some interesting videos. Case in point, a needle bearing that went out on a truck with 203k miles.FUBAR 6.0 - FAILURE OF MINOR PART LEADS TO BIG REPAIR BILL - YouTube
I would also like to see 500k. I should be at 470k by next weekend. 462k now. Shute, how about 600k. I just feel like I'm going to lose all my miles if I have to replace the engine. I'm so far past the point of worrying about "low miles" that I wanna stack em up as many as possible. I'm proud of em.
I completely agree, your to the point that miles like you've stack on the truck so far are a bragging right. Considering I only put 20k a year on mile it will take me a LONG time to catch up if you quit driving today. So when I say I hope I get to at least half of what you've got you understand I'm not aiming low...I'm just figuring the chassis will be gone by that point.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:58 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Steadyman, does your sound, sound like a belt squeaking after shutdown. It would squeak 3 times max after the injectors shut down. I wonder if you could put the tensioner on the kickstand without removing the belt to rule out the accessory drive system without it messing up anything. Maybe cheezit or m-chan have input on this.
You indicated that your truck is equipped with a manual transmission, a piece of information that I didn't know about until a couple nights ago. At that high of mileage, how many clutches have you replaced? Does your truck still have the garbage dual mass flywheel in it? Or has it been converted to the solid mass flywheel during a replacement along the way? The reason I ask, is because those dual mass flywheels have been known to make a bit of a squeaky noise during engagement/disengagement. Does the sound you describe change with the clutch engaged or disengaged at all? Stupid question. You're not hearing the residual oil draining from your turbo by any chance are you? I mean the "gurgling" type sound that is usually heard at shutdown. Sorry for the million questions.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:02 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,728 Posts
Zhilton -
The fact that PSH.com replaced the HPOP without first verifying that the engine had "no base oil pressure" is why they get the comments that they do ...............

Quick Reply: Tick in the motor