General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Any Angie's List subscribers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 07:18 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,227 Likes on 806 Posts
Question Any Angie's List subscribers?

My roofing contractor, a man whom I respect for awesome work, excellent prices and a friendly personality just purchased a one year gift for me to Angie's list for the purpose of having me write a report on him.

I did this and I word smith'd it very carefully so as to get him the highest grades and hopefully the most attention.

Do people actually sift through these sites looking for contractors? I get so little professional work done to my house that when I do, I use a contractor that has done great work in my neighborhood.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:02 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,399 Likes on 1,107 Posts
I think there is a core of consumers who don't "have a guy....." or any sort of casual referral list, Angie's List is like their local Consumer Reports. After all who's a better reference than someone with actual experience with a service or product?

Its a good idea---certainly can't hurt!

Old 02-13-2012, 07:30 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Wow! Is that across the entire site that is Angie's List or just within specified ZIP codes?

Either way its a lot more than I ever suspected, showing its become quite powerful and seemingly widely accepted as a "go to" data base.

Last edited by FTE Herman; 02-13-2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: I was inappropriate for me to comment on my place of business.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:26 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,135 Likes on 4,207 Posts
I'm a subscriber...got a gift sub for Christmas a few years back. I've found that the info can be useful...or not...depending on how you use it.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:00 PM
oldgoat49
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had it for one year, but found that it really didn't give enough references to make it worthwhile to me. When you only have a handfull of people having to write up an opinion of them you have to wonder how many are doing it because they had incentive or because they actually liked or hated the person?.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:21 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If third party, supposedly unbiased opinions about a good or service keeps someone from losing a good nights sleep over a purchase...I guess that Angies list serves a purpose. I do question the motivation of someone willing to ante up 60 bucks for the priveledge of opinionating, good or bad, on a service or good they have purchased. I also question whether or not those opinions could be bought or otherwise influenced by the provider.

Myself, I've managed through nearly 33 years of building and general contracting without so much as a yellow pages listing...relying instead on the power of good value, integrity, skill and a healthy referral network. Works for me.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:51 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by oldgoat49
I had it for one year, but found that it really didn't give enough references to make it worthwhile to me. When you only have a handfull of people having to write up an opinion of them you have to wonder how many are doing it because they had incentive or because they actually liked or hated the person?.
Once heard a fact about satisfied (or not) customers that rocked my auto service outfit at the time: "on average satisfied customers contact 4 people, dissatisfied customers contact 20........!" Wow, huh??

Oddly enough if I'm buying something online I'll look first to the negative comments and if allowed any feedback a seller or merchant adds attempting to rectify problems. Without a good cross section of opinions and experiences its sometimes tough to really know what to expect though.

It would be nice if more customers replied on Angie's List but sadly its optional even though it would ultimately benefit so many others.

Still can't be a bad idea to check it anyway...........

Old 02-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts
I'm a member and a remodeling contractor. I have been in business over 10 years and going stronger now than ever. Having said that, I've gotten not one of my customers from there. All of my business is from word of mouth. Its been the best. If you do a quality job at a fair price your in. I work for multiple families which can be as many as 5 different housholds.

Angie's List and other sites like that, are good for someone who may not know a person or which way to turn. Just be aware if you do use these types of referal information sites, they are based often on $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ payola as well. Kinda like the BBB, which is a laughable organization these days. Talk to people you trust and do some basic research on a project your considering. As with anything else the more educated you are on a subject, the better.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:26 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,227 Likes on 806 Posts
My roofing contractor just started hitting Angie's list. He's been in business for about 3 decades and has never advertised before. I think he was trying to expand his name a little.

Two of my neighbors watched him as he did my house and they both hired him. He was pretty backed up and couldn't start the first job till about 3 weeks later.

I hope it works for him.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts
Thats great. The bathroom I'm doing now is a nieghbor of a previous customer. Its better for everyone involved with these types of relationships.