1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F550 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 01:45 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by deck60
I have to agree with all nice build quality and detail

I have one question with all your detail what is your reasoning on using helicoil

wouldn't it have been better to go to the next size bigger drill and tap it or use a grade 8 insert

I have so many troubles with helicoil's that we don't have any in our shop

just my .002

nice build
I'm a firm believer in Helicoils, especially in aluminum. A larger fastener is no good unless you upsize all the manifold bolts. That one larger bolt would have a different clamping force than the rest and something would probably work loose over many heat cycles.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:24 AM
deck60
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well lets see how do you know what the clamping force is on a piece of stainless steel wire I have had so many problems with helicoils they are a temporary fix at best you already are making the hole bigger to adapt to a helicoil and vibration will take out a helicoil in no time flat this is what I use instead of a piece of wire

Key Inserts (Keenserts) - Metric & Standard - Pointe Products - Distributor of Bolts, Nuts, Fasteners & Parts

this is just one brand

sorry but helicoils have cost me many hrs of down time and have never really proven themselves as any thing more than a temporary repair

Old 02-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by deck60
I have to agree with all nice build quality and detail

I have one question with all your detail what is your reasoning on using helicoil

wouldn't it have been better to go to the next size bigger drill and tap it or use a grade 8 insert

I have so many troubles with helicoil's that we don't have any in our shop

just my .002

nice build
I have never had any issues with using helicoils. It is actually a stronger repair then it was originally. And All I use a re Grade 8 hardware

Old 02-26-2012, 09:34 AM
deck60
Senior User
you will

I work in an industrial maintenance setting and using helicoils is a no no they have cost me many hrs of down time and meetings that have had the question why did you fix it that way so I have a real bad taste for them when they pull out they usually break a cone out and really mess things up

our policy on use of heli-coils: it is a temporary fix until the correct parts are obtained from oem or a machined replacement is obtained and the heli-coiled part is removed and replaced

nice build I like your use of por15 god that stuff is great it just has to be coated

and the panel adhesive that is stronger than a weld

keep up the good work

Old 02-26-2012, 10:11 AM
wbdodgeiv
New User
I don't approve helicoil repairs on the products we make, but a keensert or time-sert repair is OK on anything but a highly loaded bolt (something clamped to around 90% of proof load for example.)

Old 02-26-2012, 10:19 AM
deck60
Senior User
Originally Posted by wbdodgeiv
I don't approve helicoil repairs on the products we make, but a keensert or time-sert repair is OK on anything but a highly loaded bolt (something clamped to around 90% of proof load for example.)

thank you sir

at least I know I am not the only one that has had issues

Diesel_Brad don't take it I am beating you up on this I am not I have had way too many issues with these products and dont want others to have the same problems. it has been years since my last *** chewing for these but I remember it like yesterday

Old 02-26-2012, 10:34 AM
wbdodgeiv
New User
Helicoils like to come loose and they work down the hole. I've removed a bolt before and found the helicoil broken into a dozen pieces. When you break off the tang it falls into the hole, can be bad depending on what it was installed into, can't always get to or find the tang. They also take special taps.

A keensert or any of the other hardened steel bush styles use normal tap sizes and generally stronger than the base material. I used to use those all of the time on machining fixtures, the tapped holes last longer with the insert installed, but when the hole does wear out it is a 5min repair job.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:44 PM
harrisford
Senior User
well, looks like your thread about awesome work on nice truck got hijacked about helicoils.... The truck looks awesome, really nice work going into as well. I also liked seeing all the Fords in the background!

Old 02-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Everyone has their preferences. I personally have yet to have a helicoil fail(in 100 or so applications) or know of anyone personally that has had one fail.

Go the hood wetsanded and buffed out today. Hopefully install hood and fenders tomorrow

Old 02-26-2012, 07:54 PM
deck60
Senior User
first never was my intention to hijack my apologizes

you are doing a really fantastic job on the build

the por 15 and body adhesive A++ I do like the color

my experiences with helicoils are non automotive in the industrial setting

Old 02-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
What parts of the truck would you not use body adhesive? Is that an alternative to someone who dosent own a welder or even know how to weld...like me!!! What are the pros and cons?

Old 02-27-2012, 04:09 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by robbragiel
What parts of the truck would you not use body adhesive? Is that an alternative to someone who dosent own a welder or even know how to weld...like me!!! What are the pros and cons?
I can not think of anywhere the adhesive is not a suitable replacement for welding on a panel lap seam

Old 02-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Modern adhesives are super strong. I remember watching a program on the SPEED channel where they show how cars are manufactured (BMW, Corvette, etc.). The OEM representative stated that the sheet metal would break before the adhesive would break... unbelievable.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:35 PM
deck60
Senior User
that adhesive stuff has taken the place of welding it is so great no hot spots warping. and the issues that come with heating metal through welding especially now-days where the bodys are zink coated

I have used it in an industrial setting as well as automotive and I have found only 1 application it did not work on

we had made a guard out of spring steel and the steel was smooth and it would not adhere to that other wise this stuff will stick to anything

gm has been gluing door hinges on for at least 10 years take a look at door hinges where it mounts to the body not many have bolts anymore

don't knock it till you try it

Old 02-27-2012, 07:12 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where can I buy this adhesive and what is it called?

Quick Reply: F550 Build