Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to take care of the *UNKNOWNS* for the EX...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:39 AM
hardRESET
Why yes, it is that big..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I want to take care of the *UNKNOWNS* for the EX...

Hello FTE!

I am hoping that I can get some good input about the fluids to use in the EX. I received my Income Tax money and as much as I would love to buy mods for the EX I have decided to take care of the *UNKNOWNS* for my Hera since the adoption. I want to do flushes and put in the best of the best. I have completed an oil change only so far, so that *UNKNOWN* is now known and I went with what I saw recommended most here on FTE. I know that I should go with synthetics with the miles that I have on my Hera. Below is Hera's information and the list in the order that I will probably attack them and what I have may already replaced or what I have heard is good and/or any questions of what I may have read about the recommendation.

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 6.0L PSD - last change 138,140 miles
Transmission 5-Automatic (TorqShift) 5R110 - last change 108,000 miles
All of the rest of the drive train and other components are stock and I do not know when or what they have in them... *UNKNOWNS*
Total miles as of today: 139,300+ miles
  1. Engine Oil: Shell Rotella Synthetic
  2. Transmission fluid: *Royal Purple Max ATF - read about in the forums, but also read that not to go with anything other than Mercon SP or risk damage to the 5R110. If that is the case is there a particular brand of the Mercon SP to go with? (This will be the first one that I will do and Pep Boys has the clean and flush for $129.99 w/ out filter and $159.99 w/ filter and they use Pennzoil Mercon SP.)
  3. Engine Antifreeze: *Shell Rotella ELC - read about in the forums
  4. Power Steering fluid: *UNKNOWN*
  5. Brake fluid: *UNKNOWN*
  6. Differential fluid: *UNKNOWN*
  7. Windshield Washer fluid: *Rain-X - read about in the forums
Of course ALL of the above will be completed with the ever important fluid that occupies the Beer Alignment Tool, but I won't get into that pissing contest on this go round...

Thanks in advance for your input...

Last edited by hardRESET; 02-09-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added where I am located as that may affect viscosity concerns
Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Thats a great way to spend your return! I'm going to have the dealer do the transmission flush, because there is a thermostat in it & they heat the fluid. I belive its mercon sp or lv. I have the fluid from craig's list sale & hope a dealer will help me.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Hunter,DDS
Senior User
Mobil 1 75-140 full synthetic for front and rear differentials. While you have the fluid drained, take the opportunity to upgrade to the aluminum rear diff cover off of the 2008 and newer trucks. It is a direct bolt on and keeps the rear end cooler due to the cooling fins. Also won't rust out like the steel ones.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hunter,DDS
Mobil 1 75-140 full synthetic for front and rear differentials. While you have the fluid drained, take the opportunity to upgrade to the aluminum rear diff cover off of the 2008 and newer trucks. It is a direct bolt on and keeps the rear end cooler due to the cooling fins. Also won't rust out like the steel ones.
'05 manual says 75-140 for the rear end, but 80W-90 for the front. 3.6 pints in the front and 6.9 in the rear.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Hunter,DDS
Senior User
They have changed it since 2005. New literature says same weight for front and rear.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 PM
hardRESET

Question So which one do I go by???

They have changed it since 2005. New literature says same weight for front and rear.
With that being said, do I go by the viscosity of the original manual or a newer one that may be for newer hardware and mechanics?

Old 02-09-2012, 05:36 PM
bergy 2000
Senior User
Sorry to jump in but I have a 2000 x with 4.30 gears. I am pretty sure it is a LS rear. What would I need for diff fluid? Is it the same either way but just with a friction additive?

Old 02-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
+1 on the above

-You'll need 75w140 for the front and rear diffs, they come in Royal purple, but you'll probably need to hit up a few parts stores and they only have 1 or 2 bottles worth.

-The transfer case is the same transmission fluid you put in your trans. The top bolt is the fill, the bottom bolt is the drain.

-The "Powersteering Fluid" also happens to be transmission fluid. Some Mobil 1 synthetic fluid keeps it and the transfer case happy.

-Engine antifreeze, be it Shell Rotella or Chevron's stuff it's a good choice. The only other thing I would add is a coolant filter: http://www.dieselsite.com/2003-20076...waterpump.aspx This will prevent a nasty chain reaction from happening and save you a huge headache in the long run.

-Brake fluid is brake fluid, most shops can flush it out for a reasonable cost.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:08 AM
hardRESET

Talking Clarification please...

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
-The transfer case is the same transmission fluid you put in your trans. The top bolt is the fill, the bottom bolt is the drain.

-The "Powersteering Fluid" also happens to be transmission fluid. Some Mobil 1 synthetic fluid keeps it and the transfer case happy.
Toreador_Diesel, so on this quote you are saying to use the same for Transmission, Transfer Case and Power Steering, and you are recommending Mobil 1 Mercon SP for all 3 or is the Pennzoil alright?

Old 02-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by hardRESET
Toreador_Diesel, so on this quote you are saying to use the same for Transmission, Transfer Case and Power Steering, and you are recommending Mobil 1 Mercon SP for all 3 or is the Pennzoil alright?
I have a deep and undying love for my truck, so I'd use the Mobil 1 synthetic in all 3.

It'll cost a pretty penny, but your truck will show you some serious love for it.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:07 PM
hardRESET

Wink Call me a worry wart...

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
I have a deep and undying love for my truck, so I'd use the Mobil 1 synthetic in all 3.

It'll cost a pretty penny, but your truck will show you some serious love for it.
Toreador_Diesel, As much as I do respect your opinion, I am very worried and scared after reading in more than one post and forum that in the TorqShift 5R110, that if you run ANYTHING else you risk the transmission.

Sources... (some)
Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum - View Single Post - What does the "SP" in Mercon SP stand for?

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showpost.php?p=895002&postcount=2

And there are more than those...

Old 02-10-2012, 01:23 PM
riggers
Post Fiend
I use Amsoil in mine. And it always looks pretty and clear to me. So I figure something must be going right. The other fluids are not my department. I might check them but I don't know HOW to change them. I was thinking of a detroit locker instead of changing out the cover on the differential. Any of ya'll have those?

Old 02-10-2012, 02:27 PM
airjeff
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd think Mobil1 will work fine in the transfer case and power steering. As long as it it a Mercon fluid. But, use only Mercon SP for the tranny. And from what I've read don't use a brand that says "compatible" or has many different quality levels. I'm sure you've read the thread, there is a lot of miss-information to sift through. For coolant just look for ELC and you should be good. I picked up Shell Rotella Ultra ELC. Was pricey at $24/gal(concentrate) but was the only thing in the area at the time.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:27 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Have you bulletproofed your 6.0?

Old 02-10-2012, 03:00 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Kevin, follow your gut on the ATF. That trans is considered pretty dang stout 100% OE. Of course I admit I know very little about transmissions - thats why I went to BTS.

Do a coolant flush, swap to ELC and add a filter if ya don't have one yet. I use CAT ELC and get it at any CAT dealer for about $10/gal pre-mixed. I usually see pre-mixed Rotella ELC at the truck stops - but its $13-15/gal there. You can ask your favorite autoparts if they can get it.

I run Mobil 1 in my PS pump and use synthetic (Mobil 1/Royal Purple in the diffs.

Changing brake fluid is EASY and we should all do this every other year or ANYTIME the fluid is heated up. All you've gotta do is crack the bleeders on the calipers and keep adding brake fluid (DON'T LET IT RUN DRY!!) until it comes out of the bleeders clear. ONLY use brake fluid from a brand new container and just use the whole damn thing. You never want to store 1/2 a bottle of brake fluid...

Another great PM item is to clean and re-lube your caliper slide pins. Be sure to use either high-temp caliper grease or di-electric grease - never axle grease or anti-seize!

Quick Reply: I want to take care of the *UNKNOWNS* for the EX...