Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

2012 Tennessee Garden Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you get even one Marigold that has the height, and spreading that you want - immediately begin harvesting the flowers as soon as they die off and dry.

Each flower contains between 50 to 200 Marigold seeds, once they have grown one time, they will become aclimated and grow well, and a very few dried flowers are enough to seed a huge area.

I had a one gallon bag of Marigold seed this year, all of it six inch high wide spreading and hardy plants!

(The taller varieties tend to need support, which I have no time for!)

MOON FLOWER
~Have you seen this?

From Parks Seeds you can get one of the biggest varieties. A pure white bloom, like a morning glory, it spreads open IN THE EVENING in about 60 seconds total.

SIX INCHES IN DIAMETER!

I imagine you could see it moving...
*I have a lot of extra seeds for that. If you are nearby, you can have some. Also some serious wicked Habanero...

Old 03-17-2012, 07:18 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Moms looked like shrubbery, they lived long into the winter too, she'd keep her seeds to replant the next year, putting some at the garden this year.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
That's what I'm saying - you can ****** the flowers to resead with!!!

Old 03-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I'm thinking about posting average grocery prices at Naifehs and WALMART or wherever to compare to my water bill

$1.68 a pound for near anything...

Old 03-28-2012, 02:07 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Anyone around Atoka looking for tomato plants?

I have a gadzillion beefsteak tomato plants sprouting, and hatched a deal to put them all in containers and sell 'em off for 50 cents each at yard sales. Me and a kid from next door are digging them up and setting them in sprout containers

These are from the cast off tomatos that I saw bug holes in or whatever last year - and just dropped in the garden. Those plants got five feet tall, spread hugely, made good tomatos and in fact busted every one of my cages before the end of the season...

~but they are not 'Weeks' Giant Delicious~

(I can't have 2 kinds growing at once)

Free to anyone from FTE who wanders by to see my frustrating machine

Old 03-28-2012, 01:36 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Dads replacement Troybuilt, got it runnin good, sunk it down to till deep and boom, blew up like the last one with the 6HP Tecumseh, he bought a Kolar 6HP instead of a Honda, they are cheaper, just needs to get the season started, reverse fiber disk is shot, gotta replace it. This year is an adventure thanks to the thieves at the farm, should have listened to me and not left the tiller there to start with. Too early to plant unless you're putting out greens.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:33 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Due to clearing clutter, dads throwing away both the old Tecumseh engines, they could be rebuild, one likely will require a bore, but they were heavy engines, I'd like to build one but he said no, don't want them taking up space.
He's gotta hurry up and break the ground at the farm, but is waiting on the reverse disc for the new tiller, time to plant the beets, they're an early crop. I would like to put out some greens, I've started eating them.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:17 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spent all day yesterday edging/mowing the yard. Noticed that I have marble-sized apricots & peaches already. The cherry trees have finished blooming and tiny cherries have set, and both of my apple trees have blossoms on the right now.

I also have daffodils, tulips, grape hyacinths, hyacinths, Sweet Alyssa and columbines blossoming around the estate.

My sage, rosemary, lemon balm, bee balm and fennel are growing gangbusters.

I think I'll start planting some vegetable this week and hope we are through with any hard frosts.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I'm beginning to consider rounding up all the Maple and Oak sprouts that are all over the place. Why don't I sell hardwood trees? Let them go a year or two in containers, and deal them off at the corner.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:42 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Can't keep them out of the flower bed, I hate those trees.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Transplant them into empty coffee can sized containers, wait till they look like a one or two gallon potted prize - and then sell the silly thingezz...

Why not?

As long as there are new houses, OR homeowners - there is always a demand for landscaping stuffs.

Trees are a thing that you can even sell to a paper company! I have a father in law who farms trees - each crop is worth a huge bunch of cash.

He tapes them to mark the ones to cut - in they come, and off go the trees. It's hugely profitable, from what I got about it. About every five years, the same tree crop is harvested. To me that says paper mill as opposed to boards

If you have five such areas, you can plan on one load per year, steady...

GET THIS: The last load he sold went for over $300,000

*It won't let me rep yet. I'd like to see pic's of those tiny cherries as they form...

Old 03-31-2012, 08:40 PM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
I made some cuttings of a couple ivy plants I have a few months ago....re-potted them today. Ended up with 12 plants. I also re-potted my aloe plant and divided the baby aloesup...ended up with 9 of those. Now to find some good homes for them....

Old 04-03-2012, 07:32 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
If the rain holds off, I'm going to till and plant my garden today. I've got some seeds and bought the plants from Ace Hardware (4 plants for $1.49) so I'm all set to start the battle...

Old 04-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have my garden plowed now.Moved it this year and expanded.
I rented a two bottom plow for $25 after taxes and fees for 4 hours. At that price I will never buy a plow. Shoot, I can rent it for 10 years before I would exceed the cost of a new one.

Now I have to wait till I get a good dry few days to till. it. They rent a 5' tiller for the tractor for $55 for 4 hours or $88 for all day. Never gonna need to buy one of those either at those prices.

Maybe I can get it done this weekend if they are open.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I follow the Mel Bartholomew notion anymore.

I know how big the root ball is going to be - and I will be dipped if I will improve the soil a jot for any weeds to enjoy around my plants!

HALLELEUYAH! FOCUSSED GARDENING....

TATERS AND TOMATERS both LOVE A TRENCH!

Quick Reply: 2012 Tennessee Garden Thread