2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another cam phasers question 2004

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 12:11 PM
jagarcia89
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another cam phasers question 2004

So I found a truck I wanna buy, its a 2004 fx4 lifted good price, 112k. It has a very slight tick (from my searches and research seems like it may be cam phasers)

My question is, are there better aftermarket replacent phasers? if so where do i get them. Googling resulted in only 2005-2010 phasers and no results for 04 and a tech bulletin states you cannot use 05 parts on an 04.

Also what happens if I just let it go? Will worse damage occur?

I am an auto student so I have access to a garage, knowledge, etc... so if I can find parts I could probably do it. Also what can be done to prevent this? In another forum a guy claimed shimming the oil pressure relief valve to boost oil pressure. He claims this fixed the problem on many motors and prevented it on others. Anyone hear of this?

Old 02-03-2012, 02:10 PM
dixie_boysles
Junior User
the only aftermarket i ever seen for them is a limiter that goes on them that basically limits the phasers timing

Old 02-03-2012, 03:31 PM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
Originally Posted by dixie_boysles
the only aftermarket i ever seen for them is a limiter that goes on them that basically limits the phasers timing
Limiters has to be programmed to the ECM. As far as preventing it I have yet to hear a 08 do it. The updated parts won't let this happen. Its been advised many times to use a motorcraft oil filter, and put 5w20 in it. I personally use motorcraft durablend. Ford knows its parts more then anyone else out there, so use ford parts to put back on it.

Also the updated ford parts have corrected this part. tascafordparts.com has them for cheap. Give them a call tell them what you're doing mention their website and tell them you want the price their website advertises they're a great bunch of guys. That is where I got all of my parts from. I did the VCT Solenoid's, lash adjusters, and tensioners. You'll need gaskets as well. If you do not do the tensioners then you'll need a wedge. Its best to find someone who can do it... It is a lot of work to do yourself and the timing chain has to be marked correctly if it slips you'll be sorry. Also make sure they send you the new cam phaser bolts with it.

I'd make sure the plugs have been changed because that is a pain if they break. There is a guy here that did my phasers, uses an impact to get them out, and hes never had a break yet. I don't suggest trying it yourself but I wouldn't go to the dealership find a local shop that has the tool and see if they are cheaper.

I got mine done for cheap 1600 for cam phasers and all the stuff I mentioned. The plugs I did at 130k my cousin did them he had the tool to get them out, with 130k on them all but one didn't break, and they were burnt up pretty bad.

The IWE Vacuum system as I am learning is also something to watch out for. It can be a pain to figure out where its leak there is a thread on it, you'll wanna read up on it and make sure the 4x4 on this truck is working before buying it. Drive it cold and make sure you don't hear no whine or grinding in the front end, make sure 4x4 engages smoothly.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:42 PM
jagarcia89
Junior User
Thanks! the truck i am looking at supposedly had the plugs done already. The cam phasers is all I'm worried about and if I can get the parts I can do it myself (again I am a student but also ASE engine repair certified) and I will be working with my instructors (master techs tons of experience) Also being a student I'd rather have my truck down for a couple weeks, learning something and saving $$$, over paying someone.

I am certainly gona make sure the 4x4 works and we just got snow here today so it'll be perfect conditions of cold, and 4x4 needing

oh yeah and you said use updated parts. A tech bulletin I read said use only 04 parts on the 04 and the 05 later are different? which is why I was only finding 05-2008 parts? Can I ignore that ford tech bulletin?

Old 02-03-2012, 03:56 PM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
Originally Posted by jagarcia89
Thanks! the truck i am looking at supposedly had the plugs done already. The cam phasers is all I'm worried about and if I can get the parts I can do it myself (again I am a student but also ASE engine repair certified) and I will be working with my instructors (master techs tons of experience) Also being a student I'd rather have my truck down for a couple weeks, learning something and saving $$$, over paying someone.

I am certainly gona make sure the 4x4 works and we just got snow here today so it'll be perfect conditions of cold, and 4x4 needing

oh yeah and you said use updated parts. A tech bulletin I read said use only 04 parts on the 04 and the 05 later are different? which is why I was only finding 05-2008 parts? Can I ignore that ford tech bulletin?
Tousley Ford Parts Depot call them. I gave you the wrong website man. That other website is good to, but this is the one I got my stuff from.

I had to call them because some of the parts said they were just for a 4.6L and they actually worked for my 5.4L this is a ford parts store so these guys know what will work and what wont. I assure you a cam phaser is a cam phaser.
VCT SOLENOID, this part was updated like I stated check and make sure this is not what is causing the ticking sound you hear, because they also cause a ticking sound.

This is a lash adjusters there are 24 of these little puppies. They have caused motors to drop valves.. I just went ahead an had them done while the motor was apart

cam phaser on all these trucks from 04-08 look like this. The internal part is what is different. It uses a pin rather then a spring.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:29 PM
antony25
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recommend an extended test drive before purchasing as the "Death Rattle" problem typically does not show up until driven for a while.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by jagarcia89
When you call Tousley Ford Parts, make sure you mention their web pricing, otherwise you may get quoted retail prices.

Tousley Ford Parts is a Supporting Vendor here at FTE and Steve (Tousley's rep who posts here) has posted that if anyone calls for prices, instead of using their website, to make sure and ask for the website price.

Tousley's thread announcement: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11313257

Steve's post:
Originally Posted by FORDSVTPARTS
As I said, our website is set up with the discount so you can just order on line and there's no worries. The website actually shows your cost and suggested retail so you can see what the discount actually saves you.

You can also just pick up the phone and call, if you do this just be sure to mention the internet discount at the beginning of the conversation so there's no questions about pricing.

-Steve
Tousley's website: Tousley Ford Parts Depot

Stewart

Old 02-05-2012, 08:38 PM
jagarcia89
Junior User
Here is the tech bulletin from Ford that made me worried about using the newer parts: TSB 04-24-24

CAMSHAFT AND LASH ADJUSTER DESIGN CHANGE - 5.4L 3V ENGINE
Publication Date: December 1, 2004

FORD:
2004-2005 F-150
ISSUE:

The 5.4L 3-valve engine lash adjuster and camshaft design has been modified for the 2005 model year (MY). Do not use 2005 MY parts when servicing a 2004 MY engine, or 2004 MY parts when servicing a 2005 MY engine. If parts are intermixed during a service repair, the engine may exhibit noises on affected cylinders and engine damage may result.

ACTION:

Order and install parts for the correct model year engine. The following Inspection Procedure can also be used to visually confirm the application of a part.

NOTE: THE ENGINE MODEL YEAR SHOULD BE CONFIRMED BY CHECKING THE ENGINE TAG LOCATED ON THE VALVE COVER. A 2004 MY ENGINE WILL HAVE CODE 4G-692-AA AND A 2005 MY ENGINE WILL BE IDENTIFIED AS 5G-692-AA.
INSPECTION PROCEDURE

2004 and 2005 MY camshafts can be visually identified by the location of the variable cam timing phaser (VCT) pin notch in relation to the machining lug, as seen on the end of the camshafts (Figures 1-2).

The figures I can't get to copy but it shows the notch being at 30 degrees for the 2004 left and 60 degrees for the 04 right. The second picture shows the 2005 notch at 90 and 120 respectively.

2004 and 2005 MY lash adjusters can be visually identified by the presence or lack of an identification groove cut into the lash adjuster boss (Figure 3). The 2005 MY parts will have this identification groove cut into the boss, while the 2004 MY parts will not.

Anyone else ever seen this bulletin? Can it be ignored and can phasers from say a 2008 safely go in?

Old 02-05-2012, 09:22 PM
jagarcia89
Junior User
found a easir to read copy of the same bulletin 04-24-24***CAMSHAFT AND LASH ADJUSTER DESIGN CHANGE - 5.4L 3V ENGINE

Old 02-06-2012, 01:20 AM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
Well I got mine off of tousley the adjusters, and all of it and it works fine. Updated parts are better. I have no noise at all, no issues. Still running strong.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:03 AM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
Sorry to bring back a dead thread... but Dorman is now making cam phasers also redesigned. Not sure of the price but I know they make some pretty good parts... either way.