Help finding parts for a 5.4L 3V V8

Old 07-17-2010, 01:48 PM
bhcd7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help finding parts for a 5.4L 3V V8

So im having a little trouble locating some replace parts for my 2004 F150 5.4L 3V V8. I'm looking to get replacement parts for the timing chain, cam phaser and valve lash adjusters. None of the local parts stores seem to be able to get them even on special order, ex. Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, Advance Auto Part, etc. So now before i go hunting the web for the parts i want i figured i would check here and see if the was one or two places that these forums recommend to get the parts from. I just want to make sure i buy the right parts for the job, and dont have to waste any added time waiting for additional parts to come in the mail.

Might i be searching for these parts under the wrong name?

Also i would like to learn more about this " throttle by wire"?

Last edited by bhcd7; 07-17-2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: added a question
Old 07-17-2010, 02:05 PM
FullerF-150
New User
Tasca ford parts and rock auto are really good places to deal with online, and they are also the cheapest

Old 07-17-2010, 06:38 PM
bhcd7
New User
Well so far I've check 12 different online part stores and Ford Parts | Buy Motorcraft & Genuine Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com is the only site that has the cam phaser or as they call the part "Engine Camshaft Position Sensor".

Could anyone else give me any other recommendations for a site to look at.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bhcd7
So im having a little trouble locating some replace parts for my 2004 F150 5.4L 3V V8. I'm looking to get replacement parts for the timing chain, cam phaser and valve lash adjusters. None of the local parts stores seem to be able to get them even on special order, ex. Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, Advance Auto Part, etc. So now before i go hunting the web for the parts i want i figured i would check here and see if the was one or two places that these forums recommend to get the parts from. I just want to make sure i buy the right parts for the job, and dont have to waste any added time waiting for additional parts to come in the mail.

Might i be searching for these parts under the wrong name?

Also i would like to learn more about this " throttle by wire"?
First, let's start with what you're doing and why? Sounds like somebody throwing parts at a problem trying the "grenade" approach. What are you trying to fix,and what do you want to know about the ETC system?
JL

Old 07-17-2010, 11:31 PM
bhcd7
New User
That makes complete sense, im trying to replace the cam phaser, in an attempt at fixing a tick im having with 2004 F-150 FX4 5.4L V8. See this link for more info - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-fx4-help.html. I figured since im going to have to tear apart half the engine to correctly replace the cam phasers anyways i might as well go ahead and replace any other parts that might cause the tick as well, short of doing a head job on it. Now dont get me wrong i dont plan going over board here with part replacement i just dont want to have to turn around and have to tear the engine apart a second time for no reason.

I guess you could say its a "grenade approach", but at the same time i live in the barracks on a military post dont have my own tools a place to work on it. If i want to work on my truck i have to pay buy the hr for a bay at the post auto hobby shop. doesnt cost that much but still.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bhcd7
That makes complete sense, im trying to replace the cam phaser, in an attempt at fixing a tick im having with 2004 F-150 FX4 5.4L V8. See this link for more info - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-fx4-help.html. I figured since im going to have to tear apart half the engine to correctly replace the cam phasers anyways i might as well go ahead and replace any other parts that might cause the tick as well, short of doing a head job on it. Now dont get me wrong i dont plan going over board here with part replacement i just dont want to have to turn around and have to tear the engine apart a second time for no reason.

I guess you could say its a "grenade approach", but at the same time i live in the barracks on a military post dont have my own tools a place to work on it. If i want to work on my truck i have to pay buy the hr for a bay at the post auto hobby shop. doesnt cost that much but still.
No problem-it helps alot to have the whole story. The on-base shop, I've been there helping a friend swap an engine out-we started to make bets with the guys running the place that we could drive his car in, swap the engine and have it running before the end of the day....they would have lost of course .
There's not really any reason to swap the chains-they're good for 300K+ miles as long as the engine had had the oil changed at proper intervals. Same with the lash adjusters-they're really not a short-life item, and rarely fail. The roller followers (rockers) have been known to fail from time to time-I had one fail on my truck,and my lack of attention to the tapping caused more damage than just the $15 follower. It's very likely that the only thing wrong on your truck is the phaser,and I'm fairly sure the dealer is the only source of that part.
JL