6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

The "Death Wobble"

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Paratrooper84
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "Death Wobble"

Well, I know I've read a couple threads in regards to the death wobble but.........

I've never really experienced the "wobble" until last night.... I was driving into Chicago last night and came over a bridge, I dont rember hitting a bump or anything significant but the entire truck started shaking violently. When I say violently, I mean so bad that I lost control of the truck. This shaking lasted for about 45 seconds to the point I thought I might have a blown tire. I had to pull over on the highway to check my tires. I was going about 60 MPH when this happened.

Questions:

Has anyone had a similiar situation?

Has Ford done anything to fix this?

To the guys that are pulling trailers.. Have you experienced the "Death Wobble" whiling pulling?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:04 AM
arkie3
Junior User
Yes.

Yes. TSB 11-6-14, published online on June 17, 2011, titled, 4X4 Steering Wheel Oscillation...

Yes.

Mine was easily reproducible under the conditions mentioned in the TSB, pavement transitions, etc., especially while steering slightly to the left. Replacement of the stabilizer was all that was needed. No problems since (7000+ miles).

Old 02-03-2012, 09:43 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
There are several things that will contribute to the wobble. Oversized tires, bad shocks, bad stabilizers, loose or worn suspension parts. We know the OEM FX4 shocks are really poor and upgrading them improves a lot of things. The jury is out on the OEM stabilizer, some guys have upgraded theirs with no improvement, others have seen big improvements. I'm of the opinion that you want to stop that wobble as soon as possible. There is tremendous force on the suspension and steering parts when it's going and I believe if left unchecked, those parts will wear very quickly. Here's what several people are doing to remove the wobble:

Installing Rancho Steering Stabilizer & RS9000XL Shocks Ford Super Duty - YouTube

Old 02-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Ezcmpny
Freshman User
Yep, pretty much the exact same condition you describe. The first time I was sure I had a front blow out and pulled over to see what was up. The next two times it would shake me out of the seat until I was almost completely stopped and then get itself corrected. Luckily no trailers or snowy roads.

This first happened at around 20K miles. Dealer replaced the steering damper, track bar bushing and ball joint, upper and lower ball joints on the right side. It's been solid since but I'll be crossing my fingers as I near 40K, especially if it's winter road conditions.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 PM
MNDiesel2
Senior User
MINE is still present after 2 dealer TsB updates and replacing front dampener with a RANCHO. I HAVE MINE ON VIDEO. ITS SO BAD NOW THAT BASICALLY I CAN NOT DRIVE over 60 mph. DEALER. to look at shocks and camber adjustment next week. I'm about out of patience, told them to get the Ford engineers out and fix it, or I will haves a new truck.....

Old 03-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Paratrooper84
Freshman User
MNDiesel2...I'm sorry to hear your still having a problem with the "Death Wobble". I took mine into the local dealership and handed them TSB 11-16-4. They replaced the Dampner and handed the truck back to me and said its ready to go.

I decided I needed to test the TSB and the repair work out by driving over the same spot that I had my first incounter with the violent death wobble... Needless to say I drove over the spot twice without any wobble in the steering wheel.

I'm happy to say I havent had the issue yet but I'm just interested to see how long it lasts due to the fact my warranty is almost up.

Good luck with the engineers solving your problem. Keep us posted on the outcome!

Old 03-03-2012, 07:30 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have not had any instability issues since I got new tires, new shocks, and a new factory steering stabilizer.

I never ever got the wobble while towing, which made me very happy for sure.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When your steering damper starts to weaken again, the symptoms will return. The stabilizer is not a fix, it is a band-aid. NHTSA should be notified of how widespread this problem is so that a real fix will be found.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,562 Likes on 730 Posts
I had the same problem, 50-60 mph, usually slightly steering to the left and hitting a bridge expansion joint would set mine off.

Dealer replaced the steering dampener and problem is gone.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:07 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Similar, happen occasionaly, but always 1 expansion joint until recently when It started happening more often. I now have 29,000 miles, so I guess maybe the OEM stabilizer is wearing out. BTW, stock tires and wheels, Rancho dual stabilizers and 2 1/2" level and Bilistein shocks didnt help. UPDATE I changed my tires to Nitto Trail grapplers and it improved.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:15 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There were a few miles in between my getting new tires and the new stabilizer. I also can add that the problem got better with the tires only. Bridgestone dueler Revo.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:02 AM
MNDiesel2
Senior User
Well they have put a new dampener on and a Rancho dampener on.... They are going to look at shocks and camber adjustment tommorow.... The truck in it's current condition drives like a POS. What else can I say... I experienced the shake and had to hit the brakes no less than a dozen times yesterday...... Bad

Old 03-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So have each of you who are experiencing this problem now filed a report with the NHTSA? I really do hope so, I believe this issue has significant potential to cause an accident resulting in serious injury or death. I only have 8500 miles on my truck and haven't experienced it yet or I'd have filed a report but this truly is a serious safety issue.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:21 AM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've experienced it driving Jeeps, Dodges,and Fords. Live axle with coil springs is all you need. Larger tires, air pressure, worn panhard bar bushings, or defective stabilizer will all cause it.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:46 AM
Shelby-GT-500
Senior User
Just bought a used 11 250. It had the tsb done. I have not had the wobble but I know a place to check it. It's a freeway loop interchange in PHX. The interchange between two freeways we call a stack. It has a pretty good bump between bridge segments an is a sweeping left turn, and through's my car for a good ride. I am a little nervous to test the truck there. When I drive down the road and turn the wheel back and forth the truck floats and takes time to react, literally feels like being in a boat. Is this normal for the 250. Just sold an 11 150 and it was much tighter and reacted very fast no floating.

Quick Reply: The "Death Wobble"