1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

vintage car laws

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 05:05 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dick i treat every one as they treat me . i will agree with the turn signals as no one under the age of 40 seems to know about the hand signals unless they ride a bike , and with people being so distracted while imitating a person driving you will be slammed into quick !!!!!!!!! give yourself a good following distance and be very alert as i and the others will tell you these old trucks and cars definetely do not respond as quickly as their modern counter parts !!!!

Old 02-03-2012, 05:39 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In Texas if it didn't come with it then they don't have to have it to be inspected and legal. Unless you have upgraded and installed blinkers and or seatbelts. If you have, then they have to work.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:47 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I have an OEM 56 column and steering box (typical wear ) that has built in turn signals that I'm not using and would be willing to sell.

IMHO what is legal and what makes you (and your passenger) safe, and helps prevent an accident is a no brainer. I've seen first hand what someone who went thru a windshield in an accident looks like. I've also been in a relatively slow head on crash and am very grateful for seat belts and shoulder restraints. I still kissed the windshield and took down the rear view mirror. I would never drive a vehicle without them. Some states don't require helmets on motorcycles, I've also gone down on a bike and my helmet saved my life.
Question: "What do you call someone who rides a bike without a helmet or drives without seat and shoulder belts?" Answer: "An organ donor!"

Old 02-03-2012, 09:37 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
I've gone down four times on bikes, at various speeds. I was wearing a helmet each time, and not in any of those times did my helmet get a scratch. I still wouldn't ride without a full coverage brain bucket. My hands took a far worse beating, so now I always wear leather gloves with carbon fiber "skid plates" built into the knuckles. Heavy shoes or boots is another "lesson learned".

After getting rear-ended by a "distracted driver" in my former big Chevy truck without headrests, adding headrests is high on my list of things to do to my '52. My neck is irreparably damaged. Of course, Mr. Cell Phone didn't have insurance or a valid driver's license. But his call went thru! That's what's important!

Old 02-03-2012, 10:32 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Typically, the rule is that any feature that was standard equipment on any model vehicle is required to be there. Case in point, my 64 Thunderbird. It came with front lap belts as standard equipment. I couldn't legally drive the car without having them in the car, and using them, even though it was built before the 1966 federal motor vehicle safety standards came into effect. If turn signals, two rear tail lamps, seat belts, mirrors or bumpers were standard equipment on your truck, they have to be there. If not, you should be able to get away without them.

But as mentioned by several others, why risk it. People today are conditioned to a certain standard of practice and expect things like left and right turn signals and 3 brake lights. It makes sense to protect yourself and your investment by doing what you can to prevent an accident. My 2c.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:38 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I am thinking of getting LED light "bulbs" for my tail/brakelights. They are brighter and come on a split second sooner since they have no filament that needs to heat up. I also want to get a new brake switch which comes on with less pressure. I am also trying to make a 3rd brake light from an old taillight that will attach with a suction cup to the back window. Will keep you updated....

Old 02-04-2012, 09:18 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
I am thinking of getting LED light "bulbs" for my tail/brakelights. They are brighter and come on a split second sooner since they have no filament that needs to heat up. I also want to get a new brake switch which comes on with less pressure. I am also trying to make a 3rd brake light from an old taillight that will attach with a suction cup to the back window. Will keep you updated....
You can buy 12 V LED flat arrays pretty inexpensively that are much better than the replacement "bulbs" or adapt them out of a 18 wheeler, trailer or RV taillights. The arrays come in a lot of different sizes and shapes and there are places that will build some just for you. Trouble is the bulb type lights are designed for light sources that radiate nearly 360*, whereas the LEDS produce their light in a small beam directly off the end so are better when pointed straight back rather than off a refector. If you have a Northern Tool or a large truck stop nearby, go check out some of what is available. I used a 1" x 12" led bar light on the center rear of a small trailer where the center portion lit up as a tailight, each end flashed for turn and the whole thing lit up for brake or flashed for hazzard. It was brighter than the two standard incandescent taillights I took off. Biggest advantage of LED besides the brightness is the never burn out. I am using 94 Cadillac taillights on my panel that have been converted to LED array and aftermarket 3" round white LED lights for backup lights. See my gallery.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:01 PM
jb50F1
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i will agree with the turn signals as no one under the age of 40 seems to know about the hand signals

But lots of people do wave back when I signal...

Old 02-04-2012, 07:49 PM
fordguy2236
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you for the advice guys

Old 02-05-2012, 09:37 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think in my state it's okay if it came that way,but if you add a right tail light,turn signals,seat belts, ect,they better work.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:49 AM
rbig1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you convert to led do front and back. as flash speed is different. hook both kinds together and see what happens. if you pull trailer they will flash wrong if incandescent.