Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a 1989 F150, thinking about a 2000 F250 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 03:28 PM
SCRebel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a 1989 F150, thinking about a 2000 F250 diesel

Hey guys! I currently have a 1989 f150 supercab, 5.8, 4x4, AOD auto trans, Solid axle swap. The trans was rebuilt about 6 years ago, I just rebuilt the engine a month ago.

I am a college student, and within the next year I will have to transfer to a college 4 hrs away, in the foothills, to finish my degree. In order to save money I am towing a 7,000 pound camper and staying at a camp ground to make it as cheap as possible. I know I will have to tow the camper at least 4 times a year.

I don't know how well the F150 will hold up, and I am looking at a 2000 model f250, 4x4, auto, 7.3 turbo diesel. How much money will I be to looking to pay? Do you think the F150 will be fine? Thanks!

I posted this in the 1999-2003 7.3 diesel forum also, to get as much info as possible.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Chris Guthro
Senior User
Id say the f150 would handle it just fine! arent they rated for like 8000? plus u got the 351

Old 02-02-2012, 03:40 PM
fosgate forever
Senior User
Go for it, you'll enjoy towing with the diesel much more then the truck. Expect to pay around 6-10k depending on mileage and rear axle. Dually's tend to go for far less the SRW trucks. There are a few 120k mile ones around here for about 8k

Old 02-02-2012, 03:42 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Around here a decent '99-'03 F-250 auto 4x4 extended cab with around 200k miles will go for around $10k-12k. Crew cabs will go around $12k-13.5k. Regular cabs can be found around $9k-10k.

2wd's can be found quite a bit cheaper. I just found a 2000 extended cab 2wd auto with 110k miles for $8000 and in great shape body wise.

Not sure how big your camper is, but I would think the F-150 could handle it. It won't get good mileage by any means, but shouldn't have an issue with it.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:59 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I would think if you are somewhat experienced in towing, you shouldnt have a problem towing your camper with your f150.

The 00 is a whole different beast and will out tow your 89, and then some, but then ya have to factor the extra cost.

You can get a decent diesel with 250ish kms on it for around the 12 grand mark.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:00 PM
SCRebel
Posting Guru
Thanks guys for the quick response!

The camper is a 30', dual axle, with the living room slide out. I can't remember the exact weight, but its near the limit of a f150.

This is the truck I found I like. 2000 F250, 4x4, crew cab. 7.3 diesel, lariat. The man is asking $11,500.

00 ford f250 diesel

What had me concerned was towing the camper, 4 hrs 4 times a year, plus driving back and forth visiting my family when I have a long weekend. I knew the diesel could handle the camper, long drives, and get decent mileage at the same time.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:27 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The axle swap may have screwed around with what your truck can handle. Your "payload" or "GCVW" wouldn't have changed because those are dictated by legal ratings and are what you read on the sticker posted on our door frame. If you bust those you can get fined or, worst case, be held liable if something was to happen while overloaded. Physically, your truck can do more than what it is rated at but by doing the axle swap you redesigned the suspension and now those rating are non-applicable.

So, what can your truck tow? I don't know. What you're legal limit is didn't change. It's still what it says on the door, but what your truck can handle has definitely changed. With a modified suspension anything is possible. It could handle more. It could handle less. That's what you have to figure out.

If you're still in your GCVW with the trailer hooked up then pull it around and see how it handles it. Start slow, on low traffic streets, and BE VERY CAREFUL! If you don't get anything screwy going on take it up a slight notch with busier streets and higher speeds. Take this process slowly and keep going up until you feel safe driving on the interstate and at highway speeds.

As for equipment, there are somethings that will help and would almost be considered mandatory. The camper does have brakes on it, doesn't it? If not, then think about adding them. If it does, then ensure they work. Get yourself a good brake controller. I pulled for many years without these but after one saved my *** I'm a firm believer (I was pulling a camper for work about this size with a 3/4 ton Chevy shop truck with less than a 1K miles on it. The brakes failed on an off ramp and the trailer brakes were the only thing that saved our lives). A weight distributing hitch will help a lot too. A half ton has a fairly soft suspension and with the axle swap and lift too (right?) a few curves or a crosswind could get the camper bouncing the truck back and forth. Not the funniest experience at 75. Also, maximize your tongue weight. It will help with stability.

As for the SuperDuty, they are great trucks and would be more than up to this task. I'm not a diesel fan but from my experience the 7.3 PS was one of the best oil burners ever made. If I was to buy a smoker then this would be the only one I'd drive. The SuperDuty is well over built but can have issues. The uni-bearings weren't a great idea, the steering can be interesting if it's not dialed in right and the 4R100 could need a rebuild as soon as 80-120K and it is expensive (I know). Also, though not all of them got it, but the Dana 50 is the biggest waste of iron after all of the trucks Chevy has made. Being that it's a diesel and a 4x4 then I bet it will be priced pretty high. They are in high demand.

Since you have a truck already, see if it can do the job. If not, then think about stepping up to a bigger truck. But, seeing that you have done some work to your truck it maybe hard to sell it and I doubt you'll get much for it. That means you'll have to come more out of pocket for the SD. Not the most cost effective thing for a student.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:31 PM
fosgate forever
Senior User
Thats a nice truck, but doesnt list the mileage. Its true if you dont care for the trans it can go early, but that goes for any of them. Usually a pump and solenoid upgrade(around$250) will make it last a VERY long time.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:05 PM
SCRebel
Posting Guru
My dad has built transmissions before, including the C6, AOD, 4R70W, E4OD, and he has the book for the 4R100. I know it will be expensive, but if I help my dad rebuild the trans (means I do the work, he supervises, and does the actual trans rebuilding), I am looking at parts and not labor.

My 89 F150 does have a SAS and 6" lift on 35's. I know I won't get out of it all that I have put in it. However I am looking at actually buying the F250 in 8 - 12 month. I do have a weight distributing hitch, and the trailer does have brakes, and I have a good brake box. And the sticker in my truck says its rated for 6050 pounds.

Also I have a friend that is a car salesman, and when and if I decided to get a f250, I will take a trip with him to the auction.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Boss08v10
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many miles on the 00? The 7.3's fetch a premium price because they are great traucks and lst a long time. I had a 2000 Excursion that we put over 130,000 on and sold it with 170,000 for 11,500 when diesel was at $4.50 a gallon. Also I think the 2000 was one of the best PSD's because they had forged or better pistons then the new 7.3's. I towed a 28' car hauler that weighted about 8500 pounds and it would get 11-13 mpg, I'd have pulled that weight around anywhere like nothing. Pretty much set the cruise at whatever you wanted and just head on down the road. One of my past vehicles I really do regret ever selling.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:17 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Well, it sounds like you've made up your mind. The truck you're looking at would serve you well granted that it has been maintained. Just keep an eye on those things I told you about. The best thing is you can fit BIG tires on these things without a lift and that oil burner will get great MPG compared to a lifted gasser (the cost of oil changes are going to suck).

I'll say, since you have so much work in the 150, if you can swig it financially then you should think about keeping it. If you think that you'll want a truck like this again it's just going to cost more in the future to build. You already have it now. I also have the mentality to keep an extra vehicle tagged and insured. It's always handy to have options (so when you have to rebuild the trans or replace the ball joints or uni-bearings you can still get to school). Plus you could make this a dedicated off roader. I know y'all have a bunch of good mud holes down there. Why take your daily driver through them when you would have this thing to beat up. Just something to think about.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 PM
SCRebel
Posting Guru
I am not sure about the mileage of the 2000. I haven't called the man either, because I don't have the $$ to buy it right now. And I would like the keep the 89 f150, but if I did keep it, I wouldn't ever use it. Because I would have the f250. And I couldn't use the f150 for a off-roader, I have put too much love into it. Lol

I just believe I will have to get a f250, my f150 is only rated at 6,050 pounds. and I am 95% sure the camper is just over 7,000.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:46 PM
fosgate forever
Senior User
Spare trucks are nice to have when you want to work on the DD, brakes, tires etc. Save you money not needing to take it any where and saves you time not needing to bum a ride.

Also leaving it on your insurance as a primary will keep the premiums down on the diesel.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:15 PM
SCRebel
Posting Guru
Yeah I see what you're talking about. Well my plan is also to put the truck in my dad's name. I am 20, turning 21 in 2012. My 89 is also in my dad's name.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:41 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
I like my chipped 00 psd. It's awesome. But I gotta say that stock, it's a pile. I'll take my 460 truck any day. But I am extremely happy with the psd with the little work I've done.
My 90 xcab and 351 tows my 28' camper just fine with no load leveling hitch. I'm sure it would be awesome with one.
But it's no comparison between the two. My psd will yank the camper to 80mph in no time where the 351 needs a few miles of finess to get to 70+

Quick Reply: Got a 1989 F150, thinking about a 2000 F250 diesel