6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Why I DO NOT recomend DieselSite boots.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:54 AM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hubler13f
I remember that thread, I seem to remember someone from dieselsite joining in and a heated discussion following, but that was a long time ago.

Yeah it was a huge thread, like 14 pages long, the Dieselsite guy chimed in and tried to blame my install but later admitted that he had received complaints about the problem long before mine. So basically he tried to blame it on me and when that didn't fly he decided to actually go back and fix the problem. Seems like he has to be called out in public to actually fix a problem, crappy business model if you ask me.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:58 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
So, since some folks report their tunes reduce EGTs. And the concern is the temp going through those boots, how would one set up temp readings from the boot area?

Old 02-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Carolina Rig
Tuned
Wow. I've had dieselsite boots on my '05 for about 1.5 years. No issues like that, but it's definitely concerning. I'm not running a tuner or anything, but still...

I've got both boots - the upper elbow and the intercooler boot. I've had to trim length off both dieselsite boots, mainly the intercooler boot, to get proper alignment at the compressor. I didn't like having to do this, but without the trimming, the CAC tube was like .75" off alignment at the compressor. And that's with the intercooler boot slid WAY up the tube (going into the bend).

I'm definitely not getting any oil film on anything anymore. But those pictures suck!

I guess need to check out the Riff Raff boots. I'm not going back to the stock boots, and I certainly don't want that delam going on. And I don't wanna have to check the things every month either!

Old 02-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My stock ones lasted 70K miles before I took them off, and in an attempt to clean them I only rubbed in the oil even more. Couldn't get them to stay on for the life of me. Someone on here then informed me of the hairspray trick, but that was after I already ordered the Riffraff boots.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:04 PM
mtnxtreme800
Senior User
I got mine off right now due to other work being done, was gonna do a Clay's
turbo outlet elbow as he offers that as a single, since it takes the most heat and seemed a little brittle at the bend, but was wondering how long do the stock ones last, if I should bite the bullet and do all 4 or at least just his "hot side" kit?? And I gotta say I called him today to ask if his kit fits the E series too, line was busy so I hung up and was gonna call back later, he called ME back, from his caller ID, nice gesture, sometimes I leave a message and NEVER get called back. Sounds like he's as good a businessman as his product quality.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:04 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Very surprised of this especially after several in-the-know has recommended these.

I had my original stock boots replaced due to leaking oil with the revised stock boots that has ~ 140k miles and 6 years old.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:20 PM
SoCalSuperDuty03
Elder User
Originally Posted by mtnxtreme800
I got mine off right now due to other work being done, was gonna do a Clay's
turbo outlet elbow as he offers that as a single, since it takes the most heat and seemed a little brittle at the bend, but was wondering how long do the stock ones last, if I should bite the bullet and do all 4 or at least just his "hot side" kit?? And I gotta say I called him today to ask if his kit fits the E series too, line was busy so I hung up and was gonna call back later, he called ME back, from his caller ID, nice gesture, sometimes I leave a message and NEVER get called back. Sounds like he's as good a businessman as his product quality.
Clay is definitely a cool human. I tried to pay him for some IC boots a few days ago that are currently out of stock. I told him to just send them when they came in, he was more concerned about having my money for a couple weeks and me not having the parts. He is definitely a quality businessman.

I have never had boot issues, but I always address maintenance items long before they are needed. Depending on the miles/time on your truck, since you have it apart it couldn't hurt to at least do a hot side kit.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:59 PM
airjeff
Senior User
I think we might be reading Sheryl's email wrong. I work in IT and we have technical people and non technical. It can be hillarious and insulting at the same time to hear them try to explain/describe things in meetings because they just don't understand what is going on. My guess is that Bob rambled off something to Sheryl and since she wanted to be helpfull, she tried to explain it in the email and completely buchered what he told her.

Now, I'm not saying they are off the hook, his theory about heat from the turbo causing it could be true, but it should have said that on the website. Then again, he may not have know of the issue. If he was a stand-up guy he would have offered a replacement anyway because his product failed.

I just had one more thought. I would not want to be in his shoes. If he up and offers to replace your boots and admits there is a problem great, but he risks loosing TONs of money. If word gets out everyone will call and want fee replacements, which sounds fair. But for a small company, that could be very hard on the bottom line. Could even sink you if things were bad to begin with. Then again, if you **** people off you lose business. Glad I dont have to try to deal with those decisions.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:15 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
HOLY $#!t ...

Glad I went with Riffraff!

Old 02-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Didnt expect to see that.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:30 AM
cutlass
Elder User
Originally Posted by hubler13f
Well, I don't know what Bob has to say, but according to Sheryl I have been led astray on how my 6.0 works and that it doesn't matter what boots I use. I call BULL SCAT.

I guess he called me earlier but I was drivng and couldn't talk to him at the time, I tried calling him back and got voicemail, to which I left a lengthy voicemail letting him know that I do understand how my motor works and that there is no other place that silicone layer could have gone besides clogging part of my intercooler or get sucked through it and into the engine.

Simple truth is that I used their boots. Their boots have a very thin layer of black silicone layer on the inside. That layer was stripped off by the air flowing out of the turbo and through it, meaning it FAILED. Then at some point the pressure got to great for what was left of the boot (probably because of a partially clogged intercooler creating pressure on the hot side IC tube) and it blew a hole through the side.
Sorry I read Sheryl's Email and it pissed me off even more.

My Email to them

Hello,

I think you should take a look at the attached pictures and you will understand my frustration. The entire inner silicone layer was stripped from this boot by the air traveling through from the turbo. That silicone has been sucked into my Intercooler, clogging it and eventually building up enough pressure to blow a hole it this boot. Now I believe some sections of the core in my Intercooler is clogged and will need pulled and backflushed in an attempt to get the silicone out, which I am very doubtful I'll be able to create enough water or air pressure to blow it out. I think the pics speak for themselves. I ordered replacements from Riff Raff Diesel.

A Very Disapointed Customer
Jeremy R. Hubler
2005 Ford 6.0

Their Response

Jeremy,
Bob tried to give you a call concerning your boots. You would benefit from a discussion on your issues and he’d be more than happy to help you out. You can feel free to call him on his cell phone at 352-257-1669. It won’t matter whose boots you are running, he’ll be happy to help you understand your issues. It seems as though you might have been led astray or have some incorrect understanding of how things are working with your 6.0L

Thanks,
Sheryl

Jeremy,

Reps sent! I'm not sure anything here has made me laugh like this post did! To show on display (in the email) the ignorance of a fool is really funny! I would love to hear her interpretation of how things are working with your 6.0L!! That's funny how she thinks that YOU will benefit by talking to Bob. Actually, if customer service means ANYTHING to them, their mindset should be that they would benefit from speaking to you! Remember this is your problem, not theirs! At least in their minds.

Drake

Old 03-20-2012, 01:42 AM
cutlass
Elder User
Originally Posted by airjeff
I think we might be reading Sheryl's email wrong. I work in IT and we have technical people and non technical. It can be hillarious and insulting at the same time to hear them try to explain/describe things in meetings because they just don't understand what is going on. My guess is that Bob rambled off something to Sheryl and since she wanted to be helpfull, she tried to explain it in the email and completely buchered what he told her.

Now, I'm not saying they are off the hook, his theory about heat from the turbo causing it could be true, but it should have said that on the website. Then again, he may not have know of the issue. If he was a stand-up guy he would have offered a replacement anyway because his product failed.

I just had one more thought. I would not want to be in his shoes. If he up and offers to replace your boots and admits there is a problem great, but he risks loosing TONs of money. If word gets out everyone will call and want fee replacements, which sounds fair. But for a small company, that could be very hard on the bottom line. Could even sink you if things were bad to begin with. Then again, if you **** people off you lose business. Glad I dont have to try to deal with those decisions.

You bring up some great points here. I just think I lost any sympathy for them when I read the email stating that "It seems as though you might have been led astray or have some incorrect understanding of how things are working with your 6.0L"

The absolute LAST thing I would do in their shoes is lay blame on Jeremy as though this is his problem and insinuate to him he's somehow not bright enough to know what's going on. I think it's lame that Bob didn't take the time to write the email. Shows me just how important Jeremy's problem was to him (not very).

Drake

Old 03-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Smokeispower
Senior User
I find it hard to believe that the turbo outlet air could get so hot that it would cause a properly manufactured silicone hose to delam. How hot could that air get anyway, 300 degrees? We need some Engineer to do some cipherin' on this and tell us. The other possibility is the temperature of the turbo itself after the engine is shut down. That could be higher, but not much more than stock, even with a tune. Those failure pictures look like someone decided to add an inner layer to an already manufactured hose and didn't prep the ID properly to promote the proper adhesion. Just my guess.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:57 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
I realize this is an old thread, but I was doing some searching to see who had the best boots. My OEM are cracked. I guess I'll be going with Riff Raff.

I only commented because I wanted to say that I'll bet they were all in the office, talking smack about this, and the wife picked up bits and pieces and decided to take care of it herself. lol

Old 08-25-2013, 12:05 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
If you go with riffraff you cant go wrong.

Quick Reply: Why I DO NOT recomend DieselSite boots.