1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2003 Expy catalytic converter question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 AM
P70FT
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Expy catalytic converter question

Hello All...

I have a 2003 California Expy XLT with a 4.6 and 120K. It has been lacking power lately especially on the freeway. Took it to the local Ford dealer and they came back and said the #5 & 6 coils and plugs are bad, and all the cats are plugged. They wanted $300 for the coils and plugs, and another $3100 for the cats. They said that bad the coils and plugs were the cause of the cat failure (the same dealer replaced the all the plugs and the #6 coil about 18 months ago). I had them replace the coils and plugs, but told them to hold off on the cats. Figured I could find a better deal somewhere else. Talked to a few muffler shops, and it turns out that California law states that they can only be replaced with the original Ford equipment. Ford parts online has the cats for about $2300 total for both sides, so I'll probably end up buying from them and install myself.

Now for the questions:
What are the odds of both sets of cats being bad? Both coils and plugs that were bad were on the driver side of the engine. Is it possible that just the driver side could be the problem? Is there any downside with replacing just the driver side to see if that fixes it, or will it cause some sort of back pressure differential that would cause something else to fail?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

Old 01-30-2012, 06:04 PM
06SD350
Junior User
Not sure how much this will help you,but its a bump at least.

We recently had to replace the cats on our 04 5.4 with 120K.
Fuel mileage was around 12-13mpg highway @ best,and they
were beginning to rattle as well.Personally,I would just replace
both sides and you will have the peace of mind knowing its all
new,and will last. I did also change out 02's as well,for a set I
had lying around,that happen to match with few miles on them.

As for cats. Maybe try looking into the magnaflow setup & see if they
are allowed in CA,it may be 50 state.I can't see why not,they'll do the
job alot better than any 120K cat out there.Both sides,in stainless from
AdvanceAuto online,were shipped to me for under 600.Best deal I found.
I did search for the best online discount code which I applied w/the online
purchase. In store,they could not come close to matching their own price.
Shipping was under a week,via fedex.By far the cheapest place I found to
buy the magnaflow setup..& its very nive as well. Not even ebay vendors
could match the price from Advance auto parts,with applied discount.

With the savings,I also went with a flowmaster catback kit,nothing loud.
Crusing @ 65mph were now getting 20-21 mpg on the highway & thats
with 125K+...with better performance to boot as well. I do run custom
performace tunes on the truck,with a 89 octance perf file as my daily.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Of course get the plugs/coils replaced. With regards to the CATS
"California law states that they can only be replaced with the original Ford equipment"...that is not true provided they are 8 years old/80K+ miles, then you can purchase any CARB approved unit (and yes, Maggie & CATCO both sell Calif certified units)

But, I would run the tank down to a 1/4 tank, dump in 1 gallon of lacquer thinner and drive the truck....if you are real lucky it will clean out the cats (and it will not hurt the o2 sensors, etc.)

Old 01-30-2012, 06:56 PM
TABLESAWTIM
New User
2006 Expy catalytic converter, The same issue

Hi P70FT,

I have the same issue with my 2006.<O

I had a COP boot decay on one side, but both of my CATs are dead.<O

I had a friend check the code I was getting, and it said right bank low o2, so I changed all of the COPs and plugs, and the right bank, up and down stream o2 sensors. <O

Two weeks later, I took it back to him and it still said low o2, to the downstream o2 sensor.<O

Then he saw the left bank showed the same thing.<O

He said the CATs were dead, or plugged.<O

There was no indication of plugged CATs.<O

No power loss, no floorboard overheating, no orange CAT glow, nothing like that.<O

The only thing I surmised is there was a week COP, or poorly firing plug, on the other side

So, after the codes showed I had two failed CATs, the ECM is constantly trying to compensate for the rich/lean mixture, which the upstream and downstream o2 sensors, are reading.<O

<O</O
Tim

2006 Expedition XLT, 110k Miles

Old 01-30-2012, 07:33 PM
TABLESAWTIM
New User
Hello 06SD350,

Yes, I wanted to buy the Magnaflow, but unfortunately, it isn't, 'will it pass', but can they see the correct Ford factory number on the top of the CAT.

Bakersfield California, has the most strict environmental laws in the U.S.of A.

Our fuel costs more than other places, because it it so highly refined.

I have a friend, that is a Medical Rep, and when he drives through Bakersfield, he always get gas, here, because he says it makes his car run smoother, and gets more miles to the gallon.

He saw the pattern, after several trips, threw the Valley.

Tim

Old 01-30-2012, 07:46 PM
TABLESAWTIM
New User
Hi Beechkid,

I was actually going to ask, here on the forum, if 'Cataclean' would work on my CATs.

They say is won't damage o2 sensors, and if the CATs are sealed with a coating, it will remove it.

You say, to run add 1 gallon of lacquer thinner, in a 1/4 tank, and drive it...

If I installed my former o2 sensors, that weren't bad, and reinstalled the new after, will the lacquer thinner effect anything else in, any of the systems.

It sounds great, and I wana try it.

More info would be great.

Thank you, Tim

Old 01-31-2012, 09:37 AM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by TABLESAWTIM
Hello 06SD350,

Yes, I wanted to buy the Magnaflow, but unfortunately, it isn't, 'will it pass', but can they see the correct Ford factory number on the top of the CAT.

Our fuel costs more than other places, because it it so highly refined.

I have a friend, that is a Medical Rep, and when he drives through Bakersfield, he always get gas, here, because he says it makes his car run smoother, and gets more miles to the gallon.

He saw the pattern, after several trips, threw the Valley.

Tim

Airco makes the cats for Maggie....I just bought a set on amazon 6 months ago for my 1997 Cougar sport 4.6........call either airco or maggie of CATCO, they will have apart number for you

Old 01-31-2012, 09:40 AM
Beechkid
Hi Beechkid,

I was actually going to ask, here on the forum, if 'Cataclean' would work on my CATs.

They say is won't damage o2 sensors, and if the CATs are sealed with a coating, it will remove it.

You say, to run add 1 gallon of lacquer thinner, in a 1/4 tank, and drive it...

If I installed my former o2 sensors, that weren't bad, and reinstalled the new after, will the lacquer thinner effect anything else in, any of the systems.

It sounds great, and I wana try it.

More info would be great.

Thank you, Tim

Cataclean- i don't know as i have not heard of it...the lacquer thinner will not hurt anything...BTW I am a SoCal guy too- in LA

Old 01-31-2012, 10:34 AM
etewald
Senior User
Hello 06SD350,

There is no California law that says the cats have to be from Ford, no matter what anyone tells you. They just have to meet California emissions standards.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:31 PM
P70FT
New User
Thanks to all have responded. Unfortunately CARB has not approved any aftermarket cats for the 2003 and newer Expeditions, see link below. I have also confirmed this with a couple smog stations and muffler shops, (I really hate this state) so looks like I'm screwed.

https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/PartsSearchTo...earchTool.aspx

The coils and plugs on the driver side that supposedly caused the problem have been replaced.

So back to my other question. Is it ok to just replace one side to see if that will fix my problem, or will the back pressure differential throw something else off? These things like $1100 for the driver side and $1300 for the other. (did I say how much I hate this state ).

Old 01-31-2012, 02:49 PM
P70FT
New User
Tim... regarding your note "8 years old/80K+ miles, then you can purchase any CARB approved unit". Where did you find that? I cant seem to find any info on it... thx

Old 01-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by P70FT
Tim... regarding your note "8 years old/80K+ miles, then you can purchase any CARB approved unit". Where did you find that? I cant seem to find any info on it... thx
Its in your owners manual....smog component warranty & state regs......as long as it is under mfg warranty, they have to replace which is why you can't use an aftermarket within that timeframe.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:09 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by etewald
There is no California law that says the cats have to be from Ford, no matter what anyone tells you. They just have to meet California emissions standards.
unless you are within the 8 year/80k mile period...then the MFG replacement (warranty) requirement comes into play......of course with a failed injector, that might very well be the out.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:16 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,595 Likes on 1,300 Posts
To put it another way, the 8 year/80,000 mile thing is the warranty period for cats and other emissions stuff, so you would be getting Ford (or other fine brand) parts under warranty.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by P70FT
Thanks to all have responded. Unfortunately CARB has not approved any aftermarket cats for the 2003 and newer Expeditions, see link below. I have also confirmed this with a couple smog stations and muffler shops, (I really hate this state) so looks like I'm screwed.

https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/PartsSearchTo...earchTool.aspx

The coils and plugs on the driver side that supposedly caused the problem have been replaced.

So back to my other question. Is it ok to just replace one side to see if that will fix my problem, or will the back pressure differential throw something else off? These things like $1100 for the driver side and $1300 for the other. (did I say how much I hate this state ).
I would say time to cheat a little.......CATS really don't go bad per say, they get clogged up which can require replacement.......try the lacquer in the tank & see if that does the trick.........if not, start checking salvage yards...there should be a few 2003 expeditions around...

May I recommend....
Rancho Cordova Specialized Recyclers Rancho Cordova, CA
916-635-2222 800-827-3673 Auto Parts- Used/Ford

Alco Auto Dismantlers
213-830-6200 Auto Parts- Used

All Ford Auto Salvage
1515 Jefferson Anaheim, California 92803 (714) 993-2110

Quick Reply: 2003 Expy catalytic converter question