1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

more questions from the young guy

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:11 PM
F-100CustomCabTBC
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say of all the projects out there the '57-'60 is the hardest to work with because there aren't many new off the shelf parts. I am having a hard enough of a time working on mine and I don't have a budget problem like most as well as it is my only project. So I would say if you have 2 other projects in progress the '57 you are looking at would be at a good risk of being one of the SAP projects. You probably wouldn't have a problem getting it up and running and driving it but you do any more you will most likely run into to many problems like I have that just slows the whole thing down and makes it easier to lose interest.

So I would really look the truck over closely and be carefull on what you plan for its future. Again sorry for the bad advice

Old 01-31-2012, 08:47 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Some of us like a challenge. Buying all your parts off the shelf or from a catalogue also keeps one from meeting eccentric old people that live in out of the way places and hoard stuff. Finding the needed parts from other FTE folks or hillbilly junkyard owners is what makes a few of us enjoy this process even more..... I guess some people describe it as the 'thrill of the hunt'. Sometimes we even have to fabricate something that isn't quite original but works, just to keep the process moving along.........

Old 02-01-2012, 12:41 PM
D57
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first post here, but I thought I would chime in. I have had my truck for over 30 years (57 custom cab shortbox), and it is now going through it's 3rd rebuild. I no longer have my original frame so I am going to put the body on an s-10 4x4 frame! I know that might upset some of the purists but I want a lowered truck with all wheel drive capability, and the s-10 seemed like the best solution. I've been crawling arround wrecking yards for weeks now taking measurements and making drawings, but I think I can make it work.

That being said I would keep your original truck intact and just modify the suspension to work with the existing frame. Do modifications to make it reliable and safe (brakes, seatbelts, ect.). If you start swaping frames and such It becomes harder and harder to get the truck back together. Mine's been in parts since the '80s, and I wish I had never had taken it apart! Get it on the road and have fun with it!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
Some of us like a challenge. Buying all your parts off the shelf or from a catalogue also keeps one from meeting eccentric old people that live in out of the way places and hoard stuff. Finding the needed parts from other FTE folks or hillbilly junkyard owners is what makes a few of us enjoy this process even more..... I guess some people describe it as the 'thrill of the hunt'. Sometimes we even have to fabricate something that isn't quite original but works, just to keep the process moving along.........

Orcas where ???????

Old 02-01-2012, 02:33 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
So, Vic... are you implying we don't have hillbillys OR junkyards on Orcas Island?. The yuppies and whale huggers and movie people haven't taken over completely. We have our own pockets of resistance. In fact today the weather is good and I have a meeting at the other end of the island so I thought I'd sneak out of the cabinet shop early and go get some pics of the '53 MH cabover that I was told I could have for the hauling. He already scrapped two F3s.....I'll be driving past the place where the guy has 5 slick trucks and a 56 f250 alongside a dodge m37. Last fall I brought home a jeep M715 that a realtor needed gone from a rental. You just gotta be in the loop! Most every trip off this rock involves one or two of those 'mainland wrecking yards'.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:23 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
D57; Welcome to the FTE Orphanage! Keep us posted on your process.
Did I mention we love pictures?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
So, Vic... are you implying we don't have hillbillys OR junkyards on Orcas Island?. The yuppies and whale huggers and movie people haven't taken over completely. We have our own pockets of resistance. In fact today the weather is good and I have a meeting at the other end of the island so I thought I'd sneak out of the cabinet shop early and go get some pics of the '53 MH cabover that I was told I could have for the hauling. He already scrapped two F3s.....I'll be driving past the place where the guy has 5 slick trucks and a 56 f250 alongside a dodge m37. Last fall I brought home a jeep M715 that a realtor needed gone from a rental. You just gotta be in the loop! Most every trip off this rock involves one or two of those 'mainland wrecking yards'.
Me??? Never I know everyplace has it hilljacs and rural vehical farmers. I just dont know how to get to that place way ova they. Ha Ha . One of these springs when I get enough cabin fever goin ober he Ill jump in the truck with the wif and come look you up. Never been to the islands. Sounds like I have to get there before the west side yuppies make it all off limits.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:08 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Vic, the county is doing a pretty good job of making it off limits to working folk. More rules every year. Now they got google earth and can look down on you for new sheds and such. Oh and Spurr, I no longer have the rigid frame bsa, but I have 2 441 victor specials. One's a beater 66 round barrel and the other is a nice unrestored 69 square barrel. The 69 is just like the one I rode in high school. The 66 was the first thing I bought myself after the wife ran off with the neighbor 12 years ago and left me with the kids. This is the first time I've gotten onto the site for about 5 days. I finally tried my old computer and got on. All this time I thought FTE was down. I think I'm hijacking, but just following up after being off-site......

Old 02-07-2012, 07:26 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 616 Likes on 552 Posts
Vic, the county is doing a pretty good job of making it off limits to working folk. More rules every year. Now they got google earth and can look down on you for new sheds and such. Oh and Spurr, I no longer have the rigid frame bsa, but I have 2 441 victor specials. One's a beater 66 round barrel and the other is a nice unrestored 69 square barrel. The 69 is just like the one I rode in high school. The 66 was the first thing I bought myself after the wife ran off with the neighbor 12 years ago and left me with the kids. This is the first time I've gotten onto the site for about 5 days. I finally tried my old computer and got on. All this time I thought FTE was down. I think I'm hijacking, but just following up after being off-site......
Welcome back!