1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Brand spankin' new, and I have a ton of questions....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Lukas42104
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand spankin' new, and I have a ton of questions....

So, I told my wife that when we had a baby, I wanted to buy a "project" that we could build together as he/she grows up. Well, we had a little boy 3 months ago, and I immediately started looking for that perfect project. I lucked up on a 1950 F1 that ran and had zero rust-through, paint was decent, but still needed quite a bit of work. The guy wanted $3000, and I had set aside a little money for just this occasion. Long story short, I wanted to get my wife something nice for her first mothers day, and I had a custom closet unit built. It ate every dime of my budget. So, here in the last few days, a buddy of mine was telling me that he has a rough 51' F1 (motor and tranny are there, but need rebuild) and he has a donor frame from an S-10 (4.6 L auto). The frame has all of the suspension, rear-end, front and rear brakes and brake lines, gear box and all the steering. He wants $800. My questions are 1.) how well will it transfer to the S-10 frame and what issues may I run into with it 2.) if I were to (despite how blasphemous) put a 350 SBC in it, what is the difficulty with that install and what issues may I run into, and if not a SBC, what motor/tranny combo would you consider? I want a little power, but I don't want or need obnoxious. What trouble spots are typical of this body style, and what advice would you have for a first time restorer? I know first off I'd like to work on the frame, media blast it and powder coat it, then work on the suspension, engine/tranny install, wheels/tires, etc. then start working on individual body panels (starting with the cab.) Any vendors you recommend? I know I'm forgetting half of what I want to know, but this is a good start. Any insight/advice is appreciated.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Welcome from the other end of the state! S-10 swaps have been done, and it has been discussed here at length. Try a google search of the subject and you'll find more discussions on this site about it than if you use the search function here. Anything is pretty much possible with these trucks. But let me just say this. And I'm basing every single bit of this on your description. My gut feeling is you'll be miles ahead to buy the first truck you described for 3 grand than tackle that other one and attempt big things like frame swaps and all the adjustments that go hand in hand with that type endeavor. No matter what you start with, realize you'll sink way more than that into either one of them, and the final price tag will be pretty much even in my experience. But either way, welcome. We love pictures. And we can definitely give you better advice if you show us pics of both options.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
take a look at https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-f2-build.html he bought his already on a S-10 frame...

Old 05-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Welcome to FTE!
Here is a must read by John Niolon before you make a final decision.
TRIALS OF A FIRST TIME BUILDER

Here is his web site with links this and other great articles.
John Niolon's 1953 F-100 Ford Truck Page

If you can get pictures of trucks you are looking at, the experts here can give you some excellent advise on what you are getting into. (I generally say OOOOh pretty truck.)

I acquired a family truck that had been sitting for about 30 years and proceeded to tear it down to the frame and I'm starting to rebuild. I would suggest against that, with a new kid (my third child put my truck on hold for several years.) it can be difficult in the early years. Having something that you can drive around and gradually tinker with would be more fun and the money will probably be a wash in the end. Of course I'm not a mechanic, so that makes a difference and slows me down a lot.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Lukas42104
, a buddy of mine was telling me that he has a rough 51' F1 (motor and tranny are there, but need rebuild)
You did the right thing with the closet, does the f1 have a frame / cab / box ?

It would appear that the S 10 front track / tread is too narrow, and as has been mentioned on here a couple of times (not that anything can’t be done, just time and money) that a original frame modification is much easier and better then frame transplants and that is correct IMO. (add a cheap 302?)

I have included a link to 51 pages (I have not read all of them) of S10 frame info and a link to a compilation of frame swaps, up to you if you read them?

Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List - THE H.A.M.B.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ml#post9645212

I have a picture at work that I will add latter of a S10 frame swap.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Lukas42104
Freshman User
Thanks everybody...I would really like to buy the original truck I had in mind, but was sold 2 weeks after I went to look at it. To be perfectly honest, I'm not in any hury with it. I plan on building it over several years. I'm not a mechanic (actually, I run a tool and die shop) but my two best friends are a mechanic (Wyotech) and a custom body/fabricator (Nashville Auto Diesel). The F1 is all there (frame, cab, and box) but I'm not too sure how "solid" the panels are. I've only seen it briefly on a trailer. I plan to go look at it this weekend and shoot some pictures. If the S-10 frame is of no real use and more trouble than what it's worth, I can alway junk it or sell it and invest the money somewhere else. I just want to take not so much the "cheapest" route, but the simplest route, being my first build. If that means saving up and buying a custom rolling chassis and a crate motor, so be it......it'll just change my timeline drastically. I don't plan on building a full-on show truck, but I would like to tear it down to the frame and build something reliable and fun.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:38 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
It was my truck that was referenced and I can tell you that the frame is not too narrow. The F1 is 32 inches at the front and the S-10 is 33inches.

Since I own one this is what I have found. It simply works if you get the right frame. There is a ton of information on FTE just search for it.

Here is a site that gives pretty good S-10 frame info...swap1

Basically you use as much of the S-10 as you can. You will have to make cab mounts, steering conversion and brakes. Plenty to research on cab mounts and steering but a word about brakes. The PO took the entire power brake pedal assembly with master cyl and booster and bolted it to the firewall. Again the key to making this as economical as possible use as much as you can from the S-10.

I like this as you get the pwr steering, IFS and pwr brakes in one package along with a choice of using the original V6 or do a V8 swap [kits available] which is what I have. It is only a 307 but that is more than plenty.

Before you go any further you need to understand this is not a weekend job nor is it cheap. But if you take your time and think through your issues you can solve them and have a very fun and enjoyable ride.

jim

Old 05-13-2011, 01:32 PM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome, you have come to the right place. There are alot of people here who can help with almost anything you want to do. As far as the truck you are talking about, it sounds like a good start. The S-10 frame swap has been done along with several other types of frame swaps. May I make a suggestion. Look into a 98-up ford ranger. I have been looking into a frame swap myself and found that the ranger for my truck (a 55) is as close as you can get spec wise without doing a mustangII ifs and all of that fun stuff. I'm not sure what the wheel base, track width or any of that is for the truck your looking. I'm sure more qualified people will be on here in abit to help you out. Oh yea, we are picture junkies so as soon as you can post pics for us...

Old 05-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by hellfirejim
It was my truck that was referenced and I can tell you that the frame is not too narrow. The F1 is 32 inches at the front and the S-10 is 33inches.
Jim, if you are referring to my post I said that the tread / track was too narrow, not the frame?

Originally Posted by Old F1
It would appear that the S 10 front track / tread is too narrow, .
There is a ton of information on FTE just search for it.
What, with two posts, Jim, he can’t, not on this site until he has 25 posts, he can use the Google work around if you had explained it to him.

Here is a site that gives pretty good S-10 frame info...swap1
I’m curious if you know what year and model (short / long wb) makes for the best swap as the earlier ones are very narrow tread. I appreciate your enthusiasms and advice but I think the newbie’s need as much tech information as possible.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Old F1; 05-13-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-13-2011, 03:29 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
You are accurate I was referring to the frame but I can tell you from personal experience that my front wheels fit in my fenders with no problems and you can tell from the pictures. Those are just standard chevy rims, no special offset. My chassis is an 86.

Again yes you are accurate about the fact he can't search because he does not have enough posts yet however I did give him a link to a site that was technical and carried alot of information on the chassis.

The chassis that fits best is a 2WD 117" Longbed. That is what mine is. Like I said mine is an 86 and it fits just fine. I don't know where the talk of too narrow tread comes from. Mine is totally stock and fits. That may not be technical but I can look out my front window and know that it is accurate.

jim

Old 05-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Brian's 48
Senior User
Welcome to the site, tons of great info on here.
My '48 is sitting on a S10 chassis, it fits quite well. You will need to do a fair amount of fab work,ie cab mounts, box mounts, the box will have a raised floor because of the kick up of the frame. As far as the track is concerned I'm running 8" vette wheels and a 4x4 S10 rear end that is 4" wider than the 2wd. I'm running a Ford 300/6 T5 combo in mine. Anything is possible with time, money and a good welder!
I don't mind answering questions,
Brian

Old 05-16-2011, 12:20 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You'd save yourself a lot of problems if you stick with the stock frame. You can bolt in a 9" rear end from any 57-72 F100 truck and change out the front to a MII or Jag. You can also lower the front with a dropped axle and install disc brakes on the stock spindles. Installing a SBC into the stock frame is easy. Engine and transmission mounts are available or you can make your own.

You'll have a bigger headache trying to use the S10 frame.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Fordman49F1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Howdy!

If the original frame is any good, try to use it...I would not want to walk into my first project with a frame swap. Then again, I cant weld, so there ya have it!

It is very easy to drop just about any engine in these trucks, there is plenty of room. There are TONS of ideas and build threads on here so take your time and see what you like. No reason to buy something simply because it is cheap.

As mentioned, in the end they will cost you about the same. Its not like you are cutting corners with the 3K truck, or opening up more issues with the $800 truck. The only difference is the problems in the 3K truck are hidden better!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:07 PM
kjdungan
Senior User
Congrats Daddy and good job on the closet. As for the truck, you have time and the $800 doesn't seem unreal (do a few searches on Craigslist, ebay and see what the old trucks are going for in your area). Check out the posts on the s-10 swaps and then decide if it is for you. If the s-10 in included in the price, than the suspension is cheaper than what you could buy the suspension for. You have time and a source for information between your friends and FTE.

The only fix I have for you is how to quickly build the 25 posts. Visit posts with pictures and add a quick comment about what you like, something you learned, or just post "post to follow thread". When you post to a thread, you will receive notification if others post making it easy to follow and you will work your way to being able to search FTE without going to Google.

Last thought, as you have found with a new baby, advice is in ready supply. Take what you wish to use and politely thank everyone else. Enjoy both long term projects and remember neither is easy, cheap, nor ever finished, but both very worth while.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Lukas42104
Freshman User
Kjdungan - I agree completely. I've found in my very few years of life (I'm all of 27 years old) that anything worth doing is worth doing right. I don't expect to walk through this project start-to-finish in 6 months, nor I expect to not run into MANY difficulties along the way. What I do know is that the better prepared I am (via research, talking to those who have a better understanding, etc.) I can possible save myself from a few common headaches (learning from others mistakes.) I'm contemplating just sticking with the stock frame and going from there. I would ultimately like to have disc brakes all around and update the suspension as best as possible. I thought if I took it down to the frame and started there, I wouldn't feel so overwhelmed. Suspension, brakes, powdercoat, etc. I would like for it to be driveable in a few years (4-6) but if not, I'm not in any big hurry. I want to enjoy the experience, good and bad, and try to record as much as I can along the way to look back on. I really do appreciate everyones advice and I've weighed my options (still not completely decided) but I may just stick with the truck, scrap the frame, and do as I can afford. I'll try to post pictures of what I've got when I get a chance.....btw, how do I post pictures?

Quick Reply: Brand spankin' new, and I have a ton of questions....