Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2003 Explorer question ..... help me out!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 09:27 PM
leroys4wd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dealer put in a new drive shaft, made the problem "a little less", but not fixed. to be continued.

Old 11-12-2003, 01:50 PM
jdnella
New User
Just received call that the truck will not be ready today. They are overnighting a new driveshaft. I told them that this probably wouldn't fix the problem. I'll let you know what happens when I get the truck back tomorrow.

Old 11-12-2003, 04:54 PM
gm1233
New User
The contiuing saga of my vibrating Explorer: Told the dealer last week that I was fed up with this piece of junk and wanted it replaced or my money returned. They supposedly are working this, but in the interim they had the Ford Dealer Mgr. in to review the situation and drive the vehicle. He had a Ford engineer visit the dearlership and for the past two days he used some sensors and his laptop to determine that there was a vibration. No duh!
End result was that the new and improved redesigned driveshaft installed two weeks ago was out of balance. The engineer and a dealer technician brought it into balance by adding bolts (with Loctite) to unused holes on the control flange (in front of the differential). They also marked everything so that if it ever needs to be disassembled, it can be reassembled correctly. I told the Service Mgr. that this was the biggest Rube Goldberg fix I've ever seen and I still want the thing replaced. Let you know.

Old 11-13-2003, 06:10 AM
bcjim
Posting Guru
I have an 03 Explorer and while I have not noticed a vibration I can feel really, I did notice that the driver outside mirror vibrates a lot at speed, to the extent that it is not really useful, the image is very distorted from the vibrating, you practically get dizzy watching it. I cant feel any vibration in the truck however. My wife typically drives it and has not complained either. 6K miles, 4L. I checked the mirror glass and housing, they are not loose or anything. Has anyone else noticed this with the mirror?

Old 11-13-2003, 07:31 AM
jdnella
New User
MIRROR

BCJIM,

I have not noticed any problems with the mirror on my 03 Explorer. Hope you can this resolved from Ford.

Old 11-14-2003, 03:59 PM
02Explorer4x4
Freshman User
Mirror

bcjim -

The drivers side mirror does the same thing on our '02 - drives me nuts. Not going to make a trip to the dealer just for the mirror, but will defiantly bring it up next time I have to take the X in.

No noticeable vibration (but its the wife's daily driver so I only get it occasionally on the weekends) but there is defiantly a droning @ 55-60. Weird thing is it's only when the go peddle is pressed (just maintaining speed). The noise subsides when you let off. Does that ever happen to those with the noticeable vibration?

Old 11-14-2003, 06:15 PM
jdnella
New User
I just got my truck back, and might I add, with an extreme improvement. The work order states as follows:

"Customer states that vibration occurse at speeds over 55mph
Correction - Tire - Reindex - Test drive to recheck for vibration - STILL VIBRATES (they even wrote that on the w/o)

Corrective measures-
1. Rotational noise/vibration/harness - diagnosis - tires and wheels check out

2. Drive shaft assembly - Rear - replace

3. Drive shaft assembly - remove and install

Comments -

1. After replacement, tire reindexed - road test - GOOD
-------------------------------

I must say that there is a significant improvement in the overall stability and smoothness of the ride since I received the truck back. I was a firm believer that this would not be the fix since there were others on the site that stated there was no improvement when their driveshaft was replaced. There is, however, a slight (i mean very slight) difference in the feel of the vehicle when it climbs over 60mph. I hope this was a fix for good and that this problem will not reoccur.

Old 11-21-2003, 05:19 PM
leroys4wd
Senior User
my mom and dad's 2003 Explorer vibration at 60-65 MPH has been fixed. the dealer clamped a weight on the driveshaft (already replaced the driveshaft once) and it went away. kind of a flakey fix IMO. wonder why Ford doesn't get a good shaft made and recall them. everybody I know with a new Explorer has the same problem.

Old 01-20-2004, 01:18 PM
jdnella
New User
Just wondering what happened with gm1233. I (jdnella) am still having vibration problems and now filed under the lemon law. Juste wondering if Ford fixed the problem or if they gave you another vehicle.

Old 01-21-2004, 05:48 AM
gm1233
New User
Sorry for the length of time between posts. I've been involved with the dealer and the Ford Dealer Manager for this area. They have never been able to fix the problems and each time I picked up the vehicle, I told them I wanted my money returned. Had a meeting with Ford person before Christmas and they offered to reacquire the vehicle and give us a 2004 Ford vehicle as a replacement (we could choose anything). We have to pay difference in MSRP and tax on the difference (about $500). It appeared as though I would have to go the lemon law route to get the cash, so we accepted the offer as the most expedient way to get rid of this piece of junk. We opted for a new Explorer (still not sure of this decision) to keep out of pocket cost to a minimum. They couldn't locate what we wanted, so its on order. Don't know if we will keep it when it comes in or trade it in on something else. We'll decide after it is delivered.

Old 02-19-2004, 08:49 AM
gm1233
New User
Picked up the new 2004 Explorer yesterday under Ford's Reacquired Vehicle program. It wasn't too difficult giving up the 2003. I told the dealer they should probably just sell it for scrap. Thanlfully, it's not my problem any more. After very limited driving, I haven't noticed the 2004 exhibiting any of the old problems (e.g. vibration at 60 MPH, droning sound from rear end at same speed, severe "clunking" when shifting into reverse, etc.). I know it's too early to tell, but we're hopeful that this will be a good one.
I'll post again after more miles.

Old 02-19-2004, 02:53 PM
nuetzy
New User
Just bought 2004 Sport Trac, 4x4. Same issues as all of you have expressed. Bad drive shaft! What gives?! The dealer is currently replacing my truck for another one off the lot. Nervous about this...30 thousand dollar truck and its in the shop 4 days after I buy it.

Old 02-19-2004, 03:00 PM
aFORDaBULL
New User
I agree, it's BS! my mom and dad are really po-ed about it! first Ford they ever bought and needless to say it will be the last.

Old 02-19-2004, 03:55 PM
jdnella
New User
I sent in my paperwork for the lemon law on Feb. 9. Haven't heard anything back as of yet. I opted for the full refund. I can't take that chance on another "comparable" vehicle. I am absolutely fed up. The truck is still vibrating after 3 different driveshafts, two of them reindexed, and no one has a f'in clue.

And, I used to like Ford's...........

Old 03-02-2004, 07:19 AM
rollout
New User
2003 EB Explorer

I have a 2003 EB Explorer that has the whining rear end also. It's been to the shop 4 times. Currently in a Lemon Law situation in Florida. Ford claims that the whining does not substantially impair the use, value or safety of the vehicle. I have two questions: (1) would any on you buy my Explorer if on test drive I disclosed to you that the vehicle had a differential/drivetrain problem? and (2) does anyone know the consequences of complete rear differential failure while driving? My instincts say that I would lose forward motion, rear wheels would lock, if in a turn at highway speed, I would experience difficult steering, may skid, and may lose control of the vehicle.

Thanks in advance for you input.

Quick Reply: 2003 Explorer question ..... help me out!!