Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats the normal trans temp 4r100?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 05:00 PM
rhouse1938
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, glad to see you thought it out like I did. So I got another wire wrapped it around the threads of the sensor, took my pot of over 200 degree water to the truck. Hooked up the sensor wire to the gage, the ignition wire to the gage, turned on the ignition, nothing...........touched the ground wire to a ground and the gage trips to the 250 mark. That's the only movement you get is if you touch that ground wire to something.

There is also a ground wire connection on the back of the gage, but that already cost me time in figuring out why the gage didn't work. After my initial installation according to the Autometer instructions, I connected to the I, the S, and the ground.
After that I drove the truck and got it warm and the gage never moved. I uninstalled
my gage from the dash again, (lucky I could access it thru the radio hole). I check each wire...........when I disconnected the ground wire on the back of the gage, the temp went immediately to about 150. So, then I was happy right..............until I drove it and discovered that the gage was showing 210 one day when it was cool, and 240 yesterday when it had warmed up to 65 ambient.

So that's what I've been doing for hours is trying to figure out what's wrong. The gage. The Sender. ME?? So it does nothing in hot water. Next is to reconnect everything, drive the truck again and see if anything works. If not..........It must be the sensor. The saga continues. I certainly do appreciate everyone and everyones comments on my subject. Thanks Thanks and more thanks. Bob

Old 03-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by rhouse1938
Yep, glad to see you thought it out like I did. So I got another wire wrapped it around the threads of the sensor, took my pot of over 200 degree water to the truck. Hooked up the sensor wire to the gage, the ignition wire to the gage, turned on the ignition, nothing...........touched the ground wire to a ground and the gage trips to the 250 mark. That's the only movement you get is if you touch that ground wire to something.

There is also a ground wire connection on the back of the gage, but that already cost me time in figuring out why the gage didn't work. After my initial installation according to the Autometer instructions, I connected to the I, the S, and the ground.
After that I drove the truck and got it warm and the gage never moved. I uninstalled
my gage from the dash again, (lucky I could access it thru the radio hole). I check each wire...........when I disconnected the ground wire on the back of the gage, the temp went immediately to about 150. So, then I was happy right..............until I drove it and discovered that the gage was showing 210 one day when it was cool, and 240 yesterday when it had warmed up to 65 ambient.

So that's what I've been doing for hours is trying to figure out what's wrong. The gage. The Sender. ME?? So it does nothing in hot water. Next is to reconnect everything, drive the truck again and see if anything works. If not..........It must be the sensor. The saga continues. I certainly do appreciate everyone and everyones comments on my subject. Thanks Thanks and more thanks. Bob
I tell ya Bob, if it were me I would simply attempt to return the Autometer gauge as defective and pick up a Scangauge and walk away. It's capable of displaying dozens of different peramters with these trucks as the PCM sees them, and that's how I track my transmission fluid temperature.

It simply plugs into the OBD port under the dash and that's it, take 30 seconds to get it powered on and functioning. Here's an image of what I typically monitor.

Clockwise from the top-left: voltage, engine coolant temp, calculated engine load, and transmission fluid temperature. It also tracks fuel economy, pulls trouble codes, resets trouble codes, and lots more. Best $150 I've ever spent on a vehicle!

ScanGauge II Ultra Compact 3-in-1 Automotive Computer with Customizable Real-Time Fuel Economy Digital Gauges : Amazon.com : Automotive ScanGauge II Ultra Compact 3-in-1 Automotive Computer with Customizable Real-Time Fuel Economy Digital Gauges : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 03-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Turfzilla
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I tell ya Bob, if it were me I would simply attempt to return the Autometer gauge as defective and pick up a Scangauge and walk away. It's capable of displaying dozens of different peramters with these trucks as the PCM sees them, and that's how I track my transmission fluid temperature. .......................... Best $150 I've ever spent on a vehicle!

ScanGauge II Ultra Compact 3-in-1 Automotive Computer with Customizable Real-Time Fuel Economy Digital Gauges : Amazon.com : Automotive
Ditto, SGII is a great tool. Good luck with yout efforts, I sure hope your tranny is not running at 240*

Old 03-10-2013, 07:58 PM
rhouse1938
Freshman User
Hey Crazy 001, or is it Tom?

Anyway, a few more comments on this gage thing and I'm calling it quits until I can get a complete new gage and sensor. Tomorrow morn I'll call ''egages.com'' and see how they want this one returned. You know how that'll go. No one likes returns, but that's tough.

Anyway after all the hot water test with no results I reinstalled everything the way it should be and took off down the freeway, got it up over 210 and brought it home. I'll never know why the hot water set up didn't work. But it works in the tranny.
Anyway as I said to Mark earlier about the heat underneath at over 210 or 240, I crawled under there again and actually pulled myself under with my hand on the
sump tranny tank. Sure it's warm but not that much. Then I had an idea. Turn the
truck on to make sure it stays hot. Got back underneath. The bypass line is cool.
Thinking if the cooler is plugged and hot fluid is coming thru the bypass it would be hot. No. It's cool. Can't determine which line is warmest the return at rear of tranny or the one at the front. Both are just slightly warm. Could hold my hand on them as long as I wanted, no problem. Got out from under checked the gage, still at
210. Can't believe that at 210 one of those lines somewhere would be so hot I couldn't touch it. So I've decided to just try another set and see what happens. I may do the fluid volume flow as Mark and someone else suggested, but somehow I think I'm wasting my time. Think I'll wait for the new gage first.

As for as the Scangage goes I probably have another problem. I am the third owner.
The second owner put in a Juice Programmer Edge chip. This shows EGT, RPM and boost. He also added the banks exaust system (4 inch) and a K&N filter. People on this site say to get rid of the K&N and put in a Wix (6636 I think). Anyway, this truck was bought new here and each owner took it to the same dealer for service.
When I went down there to see what they had on file, I notice one trip where the second owner complained about something and when the tech went to check the code he complained that it had an aftermarket chip and his probe would not work unless he disconnected all the wiring from the edge chip and reconnected the STOCK Ford wires..........that would have entailed about an hour and he declined to have anything done about it. I don't blame him for that, but in any case I called the Edge people and asked about that and he said yeah that's probably about right. He said I could do it in about 30 minutes, but that's because I know where to look right away.
So what I'm saying is that scangage you talked about probably wouldn't work for me
since the computer has been altered.

I'll get a gage that works and will tell the right temp somewhere. There are too many people on here that have installed the gage and also installed the TruCool Max cooler for me to give up. I persevere and go half nuts but in the end I usually find and fix what's right or wrong. Thanks for all your input and chat. I really do appreciate it. It always helps so much to have another opinion.

I'll try and remember to let you know what happens after all this. Bob

Old 03-10-2013, 08:19 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I remembered that when my idiot stock trans temp gauge moved up from the middle, ie. my trans fluid was getting hot, I started puking ATF when I backed in my trailer. Something about the seal leaks when hot, but closes when cooled again. At 240 (according to your gauge), were you leaking fluid?

Old 03-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Hey Crazy 001, or is it Tom?
I prefer Tom. I joined FTE nearly ten years ago and in my teens, I'm not so crazy anymore but too lazy to change my username.

Anyway, a few more comments on this gage thing and I'm calling it quits until I can get a complete new gage and sensor. Tomorrow morn I'll call ''egages.com'' and see how they want this one returned. You know how that'll go. No one likes returns, but that's tough.

Anyway after all the hot water test with no results I reinstalled everything the way it should be and took off down the freeway, got it up over 210 and brought it home. I'll never know why the hot water set up didn't work. But it works in the tranny.
Anyway as I said to Mark earlier about the heat underneath at over 210 or 240, I crawled under there again and actually pulled myself under with my hand on the
sump tranny tank. Sure it's warm but not that much. Then I had an idea. Turn the
truck on to make sure it stays hot. Got back underneath. The bypass line is cool.
Thinking if the cooler is plugged and hot fluid is coming thru the bypass it would be hot. No. It's cool. Can't determine which line is warmest the return at rear of tranny or the one at the front. Both are just slightly warm. Could hold my hand on them as long as I wanted, no problem. Got out from under checked the gage, still at
210. Can't believe that at 210 one of those lines somewhere would be so hot I couldn't touch it. So I've decided to just try another set and see what happens. I may do the fluid volume flow as Mark and someone else suggested, but somehow I think I'm wasting my time. Think I'll wait for the new gage first.

As for as the Scangage goes I probably have another problem. I am the third owner.
The second owner put in a Juice Programmer Edge chip. This shows EGT, RPM and boost. He also added the banks exaust system (4 inch) and a K&N filter. People on this site say to get rid of the K&N and put in a Wix (6636 I think). Anyway, this truck was bought new here and each owner took it to the same dealer for service.
When I went down there to see what they had on file, I notice one trip where the second owner complained about something and when the tech went to check the code he complained that it had an aftermarket chip and his probe would not work unless he disconnected all the wiring from the edge chip and reconnected the STOCK Ford wires..........that would have entailed about an hour and he declined to have anything done about it. I don't blame him for that, but in any case I called the Edge people and asked about that and he said yeah that's probably about right. He said I could do it in about 30 minutes, but that's because I know where to look right away.
So what I'm saying is that scangage you talked about probably wouldn't work for me
since the computer has been altered.

I'll get a gage that works and will tell the right temp somewhere. There are too many people on here that have installed the gage and also installed the TruCool Max cooler for me to give up. I persevere and go half nuts but in the end I usually find and fix what's right or wrong. Thanks for all your input and chat. I really do appreciate it. It always helps so much to have another opinion.

I'll try and remember to let you know what happens after all this. Bob
Sounds good Bob, this last post has me thinking that perhaps your gauge is wrong. Where are you located? Perhaps someone nearby with the right tools could see if your factory transmission sensor is operational; I would believe it would even if the gauge doesn't work.

Whatever you do, do NOT assume that the gauge is wrong and drive it until this temperature thing is verified!

Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 PM
rhouse1938
Freshman User
TOM,

I agree about driving it much until I get the gage thing checked out. My problem is I NEED TO GET THIS DONE, I bought a 2009 5th wheel and they are keeping it at the
Camping World site but I think they'll be wanting me to GET IT pretty soon. I'll check on it tomorrow and put their mind at ease.

When it was at 240, I haven't seen any trace of fluid underneath. Also didn't seem to be hot either.

This is the first diesel I've ever owned. I drove one for several years when I was working, but the maintenance was done by someone else. Seems these diesels need an awful lot of care and maintenance. Well, gotta get in the shower and up early to call these people and get another gage. Nice talking with you. I'm in Johnson City, Tennessee right up about as far as you can go before going into Virginia. About 30 minutes from Bristol TN/VA. Too cold up here for me too. I'm looking for some warmer climes pretty soon. Had enough snow for awhile. If you're ever in JC, look me up. I'm in the book. Bob

Old 03-10-2013, 10:43 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like this would be an excellent time to buy Auto Enginuity or the scan gauge . With either one you'll be able to read the granny temp and trouble codes.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 AM
rhouse1938
Freshman User
Thanks. But I have a Juice Programmer by Edge and the gage wouldn't give me the right codes I don't think. Has to be stock I think. Ford couldn't read the correct code with disassembling the edge hookups and establishing the ford contacts.

The truck came to me this way (3rd owner) and I don't know if this programmer helps me or not?

Old 03-11-2013, 09:24 AM
ScaldedDog
Fleet Mechanic

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts
I don't know anything about Edge stuff, but for less the $50 you can get a bluetooth module to plug into the OBDII port, and the Torque app for your phone, and see exactly what the PCM sees as for the tranny temp.

Mark

Old 03-11-2013, 01:44 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Mark, that sounds interesting. I want to find out some more about that.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Mark, that sounds interesting. I want to find out some more about that.
Rich, do a quick search here in the Ex forum and the 7.3L forum. That app has been discussed recently in a few different threads, I just can't remember which forum! It mighta been both forums.

Stewart

Old 03-11-2013, 04:54 PM
ScaldedDog
Fleet Mechanic

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts
Stewart is right. I think most of the info is in the 7.3 forum.

The app is the handiest thing ever for things you want to look at sometimes, but don't really need a dedicated gauge for, and that the PCM can see. It's not good for things like fuel pressure, EGT, etc, as those aren't reported via the OBDII connector.

Mark

Last edited by ScaldedDog; 03-11-2013 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Forgot who I was talking to, and about...
Old 03-11-2013, 05:12 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog
Stewart is right. I think most of the info is in the 7.3 forum.

The app is the handiest thing ever for things you want to look at sometimes, but don't really need a dedicated gauge for, and that the PCM can see. It's not good for things like fuel pressure, EGT, etc, as those aren't reported via the OBDII connector.

Mark
I use it too. It's available on Android. I think the pro version is $5 and it is WELL worth it. Frequent updates and fixes. Developer always responds to questions.
I've used it a lot on many vehicles. It can also show mode-6
It can record trips, even record with your camera while the app records all the engine parameters. You can also add custom pid's.
Very useful.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:03 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Thanks. But I have a Juice Programmer by Edge and the gage wouldn't give me the right codes I don't think. Has to be stock I think. Ford couldn't read the correct code with disassembling the edge hookups and establishing the ford contacts.

The truck came to me this way (3rd owner) and I don't know if this programmer helps me or not?
I don't believe the edge will prevent you from reading trouble codes.

Quick Reply: whats the normal trans temp 4r100?