6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-19-2014, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Fuel System Guides
Print Wikipost

Fuel system problems, warranty possibly denied

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 05:10 PM
consolidated
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel system problems, warranty possibly denied

My 2011 has 8,500 miles and is about 10 months old. It's been in to the dealer four times for a check engine light, the last time they replaced the HPFP.

The most recent CEL was followed by a "Power Reduced" warning while on the way to the dealership. Today the dealer called and asked for gas station receipts, says that the tested the diesel and found small amounts of biodiesel and the truck may need lots of work and they won't cover it unless they can take the case to a gas station. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? The code thrown was P088 I believe.

This was the be all end all, built tough, pro quality, do anything new truck for me and it's been the biggest automotive disappointment in my life.

I've never even seen biodiesel for sale anywhere....ever. I only use big name brand stations and generally only use this truck to tow a car hauler on trips.

Is this biodiesel stuff to be believed? I need information to be prepared to talk to my dealer and their regional reps tomorrow. Any history of similar failures modes, possible alternate diagnosis or questions to ask would be very much appreciated.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:31 PM
slipry14
Junior User
Take the B20 symbol off the side of your truck and hand it to em.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:05 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
There have been several long drawn out threads on fuel system issues and HPFP failures. You can read for a week if you have the time, but I know you don't.

I don't want to scare you, it sounds like you have already done some reading here, but I am hoping some of this can help you in your preparation for the "confrontation" at the dealership.

To summarize - fuel quality is a big issue. It is not a warranty-coverage issue, its a fuel supply issue. Lubricity, emulsified water (dissolved), and non-dissolved water are all issues that can cause fuel problems. Apparently it doesn't take much time for bad fuel to cause an issue. The hard part - how do you know the quality of what you're putting in your tank? Lots of us have been using fuel additives to try and get an edge on the quality. For me, I use Ford's PM-22A to supplement the lubricity. I drain my fuel/water separator once each and every tank to try and get a leg up on any water being captured. Fuel quality may not be the reason for your problems, but chances are pretty good that this is what Ford will steer towards because it is an "out" for them and wipes their hands clean of your problems.

Questions - how many diesel trucks are on your dealer's lot? How many customers of theirs run diesel trucks?

The reason for these questions is it may point you to the competency of the dealer in question in handling the diesel engines. Low-volume diesel truck dealers are less likely to have "good" techs and support teams to deal with these. The newer trucks are far more complex than diesels of years past - mostly due to constricting EPA regulations.

Check with your insurance company too. If the crap really hits the fan and you have a high-dollar repair, traced back to fuel quality, your insurance company could step in.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:26 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

How often do you drain the fuel/water separator? Do you add any fuel additives?? If so...take those receipts too.

Good luck!

biz

Old 01-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by slipry14
Take the B20 symbol off the side of your truck and hand it to em.
Love this post.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:40 PM
consolidated
Freshman User
Thanks for the responses. I drain it often, the message has come on once before. Ever since I read posts here I've been diligent about checking the separator, fueling at high traffic stations, and trying to keep the tank full. No additives however.

Why would they claim biodiesel damage, and what damage could it cause? Should I insist on seeing the test data, is this a red herring since they didn't find water instead? The dealership is a large urban truck center, they have no less than 40 F250 on the lot usually.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:50 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
bio tends to retain more water...have a look for yourself into the fuel bowl. If there is rust you are done.

You will probably have to file your insurance co. for the repairs. Be sure to report this NHTSA if this is another HPFP failure.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:55 PM
dbc001
Tuned

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Correct me if wrong but I thought the CEL was mainly for the pollution control systems, DEf, DPF, NoX, EGR etc. If so doesn't make sense the dealer replaced the HPFP.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:55 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by consolidated
My 2011 has 8,500 miles and is about 10 months old. It's been in to the dealer four times for a check engine light, the last time they replaced the HPFP.

The most recent CEL was followed by a "Power Reduced" warning while on the way to the dealership. Today the dealer called and asked for gas station receipts, says that the tested the diesel and found small amounts of biodiesel and the truck may need lots of work and they won't cover it unless they can take the case to a gas station. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? The code thrown was P088 I believe.

This was the be all end all, built tough, pro quality, do anything new truck for me and it's been the biggest automotive disappointment in my life.

I've never even seen biodiesel for sale anywhere....ever. I only use big name brand stations and generally only use this truck to tow a car hauler on trips.

Is this biodiesel stuff to be believed? I need information to be prepared to talk to my dealer and their regional reps tomorrow. Any history of similar failures modes, possible alternate diagnosis or questions to ask would be very much appreciated.

Biodiesel is sold all over the US and some states like mine mandate a percentage of biodiesel must be added to every gallon of road diesel sold.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:00 PM
fixdent
Senior User
I had the CEL light issue last winter. Got the "reduced power" warning a few times. I got "flashed" in june and the light went out. I have had no issues since.

Hopefully you got nothing serious. I can't figure out their "biodiesel" remark.

--
Gordon

Old 01-24-2012, 07:04 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgt93
Love this post.
I had to laugh as well when I read that post...

Seeing that I have a bit of experience in this arena, here is my take on the situation. The OP stated he had a HPFP replaced already. Now he has more fuel problems. Biodiesel is used as the scapegoat by the dealer this time around. Why? Because the dealer already replaced a HPFP that Ford would not have paid for had they been able to pull off the big weasel out...or Ford kicked back the original repair.

The dopes at dealer number one in my shameful Ford event pulled the same "biodiesel" ruse...then they changed it to "DEF in the fuel" and then they produced a used bottled water container with less than an ounce of water in the bottom as proof of "water in the system". Anyone see the trend here????

This shameful treatment of hard working people who spent their hard earned money on a trusted manufacturer's product needs to stop. Their excuses are a slap in the face of any knowledgeable owner.

To those who think it can not happen to them...ask yourself, how did it happen again to a different owner. The pattern is becoming clear...

Shame on Ford

Consolidated, I am sending you a private message

Regards

Old 01-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
I would absolutely take you own sample and have a 3rd party testing lab test the fuel. I would also make sure that the dealer representative is with you when you take the sample and sign off on the sample so there can be no finger pointing. Not sure where you live but a google search of diesel fuel testing comes up with a number of places to send it to. Herguth Laboratories, Inc. Oil analysis, Grease Analysis,Diesel Fuel testing is the one site i am looking at.

Not sure what else to tell you but that is what i suggest.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:07 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
If they specifically said the issue is related to "small traces of biodiesel" then they need to look at the side of that truck.
This engine/fuel system supports up to 20% bio diesel but NO water.
Have they said anything about water yet?
That would be a whole different issue but since the WIF has activated before, it does sound like water was detected at one point.

Was that first HPFP a warranty replacement?
It sounds like it was.

Biodiesel isn't very popular down here but the one place I received a 10% mixture, it wasn't labeled.

EDIT: Did they replace the rest of the fuel system with the HPFP replacement?

Last edited by kper05; 01-24-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Edit...
Old 01-24-2012, 07:11 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
If they specifically said the issue is related to "small traces of biodiesel" then they need to look at the side of that truck.
This engine/fuel system supports up to 20% bio diesel but NO water.
Have they said anything about water yet?
That would be a whole different issue but since the WIF has activated before, it does sound like water was detected at one point.

Was that first HPFP a warranty replacement?
It sounds like it was.

Biodiesel isn't very popular down here but the one place I received a 10% mixture, it wasn't labeled.

EDIT: Did they replace the fuel system with the HPFP replacement?
I am not sure that the OP actually said that...he mentioned a prior message but I took it as the "reduced power" message...

Peace

Old 01-24-2012, 07:21 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by rickatic
I am not sure that the OP actually said that...he mentioned a prior message but I took it as the "reduced power" message...

Peace
Originally Posted by consolidated
Thanks for the responses. I drain it often, the message has come on once before. Ever since I read posts here I've been diligent about checking the separator, fueling at high traffic stations, and trying to keep the tank full. No additives however.

Why would they claim biodiesel damage, and what damage could it cause? Should I insist on seeing the test data, is this a red herring since they didn't find water instead? The dealership is a large urban truck center, they have no less than 40 F250 on the lot usually.
No he didn't say water but the message reported (I'm assuming to drain) and it trips when water is detected at the sensor, correct?

Last edited by kper05; 01-24-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: I'm bad with typos...

Quick Reply: Fuel system problems, warranty possibly denied