Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Low Drone (in a drum) grinding noise!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:10 AM
meier63
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah timmyboy it is! I allready tried the foiled up tube thinking maybe the new clutch was somehow quieter thus allowing me to hear the pipe noise more.! Not the problem! I removed it and actually wrapped it with foil backed sound deadening material. Its frustrating cause I cant afford to keep replacing things it ''could'' be! Gotta get going , but wanna talk more to to you on this later. Two dumbarsses gotta be better than one, right ? Maybe pm? Thanks bud!

Old 01-27-2012, 02:03 PM
meier63
Senior User
Well , never thought this was the cause, but it needed to be done. Just got done with my p.s. flush. Used synthetic atf and did notice somewhat of a difference in my steering. Seemed a little smoother but could be in my head!
Still at a loss for where the noise is coming from. Read on a different thread that the inspection cover could be a little bent causing the flywheel to rub on it. Not the case, checked it ,no rubbing marks!
Timmyboy76 kinda described the noise better than I did. He said it sounds like a howling wind through a pipe sound. He seems to be chasing the same problem with the same amount of success as myself.
I've racked my brain trying to figure what is is, and all I keep coming up with is that is has to be something with the tranny or drive shaft, simply because of it surfacing after the clutch swap.
Guess I'll just turn the radio up louder!!!!

Old 01-30-2012, 01:03 PM
meier63
Senior User
Well as Mr. Rogers used to say..... ITS A WONDERFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBOR HOOD! This morning I finally located the cause of the noise I've been chasing for over a month now! After hours of looking and many dollars spent with no luck, I put the truck on jack stands so I could put it in gear and do some underneath listening.
Even though the support bearing didn't show much slop or movement, it sounded like it was the culprit. So I loosened the the two mounting bolts a little and guess what?, the noise started to go away. Loosened a little more and noise was gone! Music to my ears!!!!!
After a short trip to the parts store and about an hour to get the old one off and the new one on I now am driving in peace and quiet!
Couple of things though, there are 2 different sizes for my truck. Mine takes the larger size to fit over the splines. If anybody is going to repair theirs, I would suggest buying both and returning the one you don't need. Might save you some trouble!
Also, after installing the new bearing,exactly like the old one was, I noticed it wasn't at a 90* degree angle to my drive shaft. So I had to shim the front of the bracket to get my 90*. It appeared that the old ''U'' bracket had a slight bevel on the mounting tabs that the new one didn't.
Maybe you're not supposed to have to shim it, But in my case I did.
So If anyone has that low pitch grinding/wind through a pipe sound,(timmyboy76), it might just be the support bearing going south!

Old 01-30-2012, 01:07 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Might be checking into mine... always assumed it was my front end, but FWIW, I might squirt it with some stuff. One of these days, I was going to do the hanger and U-joints just for the heck of it. Thanks for the update, Bill!

Old 01-30-2012, 01:20 PM
meier63
Senior User
I would have bet the bank that it was my front end too! I actually sat in the back seat with it on the stands and in gear to see if it was louder there and thats part of what lead me to it. Much louder in the back. I guess the kids didn't inform me of it because the music in the their earphones drowned it out!
YEAH RIGHT!

Old 01-30-2012, 01:22 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haha... yeah, I have music pumped into my head more than I probably had ought to as well. That's funny, though... we'll see what I come up with.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:54 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Bill, that is bad-a$$ dude, ! Like John said, its worth a shot, and hit it with some lube. Mine though, dont think its the case, considering, the noise came on stronger and at a less rpm, when i installed the W.W. I'm in O.C. right now, gonna hit up the ALL FORDS junkyard, for a 'FOILED" charge pipe. Heck, i even brought the tools to swap it out in the yard, and possible trade and $$$ with mine now.

I did kill 1 noise though, yesterday i installed a baseball on my shifter. When i modded my shifter to clear the gauges, the grinding resignating effect from the gears traveled up and thru the dice i had on it (see album pic). Installed baseball yesterday, and tell you what, the early morning drive today, almost put me back to sleep, but the under-hood howling kept me awake...LOL

Old 01-30-2012, 02:32 PM
meier63
Senior User
Hey Timmy , I did spray it with lube a couple times before. Nothing changed so I looked elsewhere. I seriously wouldn't have thought that was the problem but on the other hand, it was one of the things that was taken off to do the clutch swap!!!!!!!!!
Hope you find a foiled pipe so you can get the noise level at an acceptable rate! And good deal on your other noise! I'am slowly beginning to believe that some of the things we do to our trucks,in theory, sound like they'll be of benefit one way or another, but in turn, are less than we expect!
Anyway keep me updated and good luck!