6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

No Power Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 05:54 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Pull and check the IPR valve and air test the system. Sounds to me like you have a serious lack of HPO but hard to pinpoint without testing.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:08 AM
cajunsuperduty
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice npccpartsman!! I did not get a chance to pull the IPR valve yet. I will pull it tomorrow and check it. (i am assuming if the IPR looks good that my AE scan tool will be able to tell me if it is functioning ok). I do not have a pigtail to command it closed with twelve volts for the air test. Another thing I wanted to mention was an instantaneous rev to 1100 rpms then right to idle the second the truck starts. It has never done this in the past before I started having the no power issues.
At the pressures I was getting yesterday 725 psi at idle and 1200 psi when I try to accelerate, the truck would not even go up the slight incline on the driveway, but it would still start easy (with 1100 rpm surge that I mentioned above) and idle smooth. Just trying to make sure that I cover all the symtoms in detail.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:35 AM
cajunsuperduty
Junior User
AE scan tool came in today. Here are the results of the scan from an AE newbie. P02290 (low injection control pressure) is still the only code showing up.
At an idle the HPO pressure was at about 640 psi and the IPR is at about 30%. If I put the truck in gear hold the brake and slowly give it throttle the HPO pressure climbs to about 900 as the IPR goes to 55% or so. As I continue to WOT the pressure starts dropping off to about 600 psi as the IPR goes to 85%.
If I command the IPR to 60% or more (with the acccuation function) at idle, the pressure goes to about 1100 psi.
I am assuming that all this points to an HPO leak or HPOP? What are the high potential leak areas on a late 03 build date 6.0L? Do I have to command the IPR closed with 12V to be able to air test thru the ICP port? Could this still be a bad IPR or is it ruled out with these results?

Old 01-31-2012, 03:14 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

IIRC you can command IPR to 100% with AE, but you still need to pull the valve and check it for damage. If the valve isn't able to close you won't get full HPO to the injectors. It will dump back to sump. The P2290 means that actual ICP is below ICP desired (what the PCM is asking for) for a specified time while the motor is running. I'm thinking that since you aren't getting a P2291 (low ICP cranking) that the valve is probably OK and that you either have an HPO leak or more likely a bad pump because it won't keep up with demand.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:17 AM
cajunsuperduty
Junior User
I plan on digging into the top of my engine starting early Sat morn to search for my HPO problem. I will start with an air pressure test thru the ICP port and listen for leaks before I take anything apart. I plan on deleting the EGR coooler while I am in this far. (I am going with the Custom Diesel kit for $109, not changing the up pipe since I have an 03 motor with no scoop).
I have a couple of questions.
Can I get a gasket set with all of the gaskets/orings needed which would include everything I need when pulling off the intake? Is this set available at somewhere like Oreily? or do I have to buy individual gaskets?
Would there be any advantage to pulling the oil cooler out at this point and cleaning it? Can it even be cleaned and how?

Old 02-02-2012, 11:11 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by cajunsuperduty
I have a couple of questions.
Can I get a gasket set with all of the gaskets/orings needed which would include everything I need when pulling off the intake??
You will need a turbo hardware kit comes with new bolts and Gaskets
Intake gaskets sre reuseable if the dont get nicked upon removal

That said I replaced my intake gaskets at that time I go in I try to be thuro
I have a Great method to get the Intake gaskets under the Intake now that I have done it I put the Intake manafold in then Slip the Gaskets under it way easy with an egr deleate

Is this set available at somewhere like Oreily? or do I have to buy individual gaskets??
Its best to get gasket Kits when possible

Oreilys might have them IDK I got mine from MKM
Try Clay at Riff Raff He is a site sponser and I am going to try to use Him when I can

Would there be any advantage to pulling the oil cooler out at this point and cleaning it? Can it even be cleaned and how?
If you go that far in to the truck might as well replacethe oil cooler vs trying to clean although some do Hot Tank em

for 215.00 might as well throw a new oil cooler in

its a far amount of work to get that far

Old 02-02-2012, 02:46 PM
cajunsuperduty
Junior User
Who has got the best price on an OEM oil cooler? And what is the name of that Ford dealer that I have seen mentioned that the best dealer prices? I know I have seen it on here several times but darnit if I can remember the name?

Old 02-02-2012, 03:23 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Who has got the best price on an OEM oil cooler? And what is the name of that Ford dealer that I have seen mentioned that the best dealer prices? I know I have seen it on here several times but darnit if I can remember the name?

try this www.partsguyed.com

try Ed first he should have it and is a site sponser

then theres always Tousley Ford if all eles failes

Old 02-04-2012, 08:18 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
p0404 could be a result of low icp as well an engine that is falling flat on its face is unable to correctly flow egr.
IMO your headed in the right direction with a possibel failed pump.
also check icpv pid should be .14-.19 give or take with an 03 engine

Old 02-04-2012, 08:30 PM
cajunsuperduty
Junior User
I have been talking quite a bit with npccpartsman. I am about ready to pull the pump cover off right now. ICP voltage was in spec when I ran it on the AE scan tool before I started disassembling. I have an air line hooked to the ICP sensor port right now. When I put pressure into it I hear air coming out of the turbo drain port on the hpop cover. Not sure if that is normal. The IPR is still in. I do not have a IPR pig tail to command it shut with 12V.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:28 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
You Must Comand the IPR Closed to Isolate the HPO System

Im not shure but I think you can command the IPR to 100% with the AE which would be the best to do it with the AE.

You can Command the IPR closed with a Pigtail and Battery power for a Short time.

But If I was you I would try and Figure out the AE and close the IPR that way it would be alot safer with the AE. You wouldnt risk Burning the IPR up like you would with 12volt battery power. Im not shure but think the IPR operates on 5 volts or less.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:50 PM
cajunsuperduty
Junior User
The cover is off now. I can put 120 psi into the port/output line in the top of the pump and no air leaks. I am using a rubber tip air nozzle. I can press the nozzle handle then let it go and the system holds the pressure. When I take the weight off the rubber tip the pessure blows back out of the port so It seems that there are no leaks in the HPO system. I am guessing its got to be the pump that is shot. Any way to bench test the pump?

Old 02-05-2012, 06:13 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

The cover is off now. I can put 120 psi into the port/output line in the top of the pump and no air leaks. I am using a rubber tip air nozzle. I can press the nozzle handle then let it go and the system holds the pressure. When I take the weight off the rubber tip the pessure blows back out of the port so It seems that there are no leaks in the HPO system. I am guessing its got to be the pump that is shot. Any way to bench test the pump?
I know there is a way but I don't think the equipment to do it is commonly available.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:23 AM
cajunsuperduty
Junior User
I just uploaded a several pics of the process of getting down to my HPOP on 2004 with a 8/03 build date. Hope they can be of some use to someone!! The pics are on my profile in an album named HPOP.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:59 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Hey Nice Pics

are you going to istall a new oil cooler or anything since your there

How did the IPR look was the screen Pushed,ripped,torn anything like that

It seems to me that maybe an oring on an injector or something is bad since it would hold pressure untill the pressure got High

I Dont think the normal Air Test will work this time due to this

At an idle the HPO pressure was at about 640 psi and the IPR is at about 30%. If I put the truck in gear hold the brake and slowly give it throttle the HPO pressure climbs to about 900 as the IPR goes to 55% or so. As I continue to WOT the pressure starts dropping off to about 600 psi as the IPR goes to 85%.[quote]

So unless you have some supper compressor the 150psi a normal compressor makes isnt even close to where the pressure you need to get to diagnos the part thats Broke

IMO something blows apart at 900 psi ICP a normal air test wont touch that

Quick Reply: No Power Issue