Sponsored by:

OMG

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:04 AM
clydesride
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG

So, I take my beloved truck to the mechanic to get the springs done and....

He was torching the nuts and managed to light it up for me!!!

For freaking sakes!!

Now I own a puddle of freaking metal and goo that used to be an excursion and OMG what do I get to do now?

I used to use it for work (I'm an electrical contractor) and it was freaking perfect... the only thing missing was decent springs!

Holy Heck!!!!

Last edited by Stewart_H; 01-19-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: bypassing FTE word filter
Old 01-19-2012, 09:09 AM
BuiltFordTough!
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow that sucks!!!!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:10 AM
clydesride
Senior User
Oh, any advice on how to handle the insurance company and the payout would be appreciated.... I am so screwed!!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:11 AM
BuiltFordTough!
Elder User
I hope you have full coverage on it.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:15 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh crap, just noticed you have a 2002, 7.3... Hard to come by.
That sucks

Old 01-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Treker58
Senior User
That really sucks, can imagine how pissed you must be. I be seeing crosseyed and blood

Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,136 Likes on 563 Posts
I hope the mechanic has good insurance, the claim should be on him. If it was just a backyard friend of a friend, you might get stuck with the claim or have a fight on your hands with his homeowners insurance. That would fall under the comprehensive portion of the policy.

From what I have read on here, seems like the 7.3 trucks go for more than blue book value, so you might need to do some research on actual sales prices in your area to convince the insurance company to give you fair value.

That actually worked against me in my little escapade last summer. Kid has a 99 Caddy that caught fire in our garage. I got it put out right away, but the dash was a melted mess. We had just paid 4K for the car, but the insurance company came up with a value of nearly 7K based on recent sales of similar cars. I would have rather they totaled it out and gave me the 4K I paid for it, but they insisted on spending $4500 to have it fixed. So far so good on the fix, but I always wonder about that car.

I'm sure you are pissed, but in the end it's just a truck and can be replaced.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:47 AM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Real sorry man. Plan on using your insurance for reimbursement and let your company go after his business policy. Keep track of all lost time/jobs due to the loss of the vehicle and time lost dealing with the loss and make sure you are reimbursed for all that. Also, insist on an equivalent temporary vehicle to make sure you can do your job as needed. Don't settle early for less.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Oh that's rough. Was the fire put out at all to save any part of it? If the engine was relatively untouched, that's still worth quite a bit of money. Hopefully it was the rear springs getting attention at the time.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:49 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
I hope the mechanic has good insurance, the claim should be on him. If it was just a backyard friend of a friend, you might get stuck with the claim or have a fight on your hands with his homeowners insurance. That would fall under the comprehensive portion of the policy.

From what I have read on here, seems like the 7.3 trucks go for more than blue book value, so you might need to do some research on actual sales prices in your area to convince the insurance company to give you fair value.

That actually worked against me in my little escapade last summer. Kid has a 99 Caddy that caught fire in our garage. I got it put out right away, but the dash was a melted mess. We had just paid 4K for the car, but the insurance company came up with a value of nearly 7K based on recent sales of similar cars. I would have rather they totaled it out and gave me the 4K I paid for it, but they insisted on spending $4500 to have it fixed. So far so good on the fix, but I always wonder about that car.

I'm sure you are pissed, but in the end it's just a truck and can be replaced.
X2. Full coverage Insurance should pay up to blue book, maybe more if you have REALLY good coverage. His business insurance should pay the rest.

May have to take him to claims court to get the difference between "real" value and blue book if his insurance flakes, but it should be a straightforward win.

What guy lights up a torch and doesn't have an extinguisher sitting next to him?

Old 01-19-2012, 12:04 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
What guy lights up a torch and doesn't have an extinguisher sitting next to him?
AMEN Robert!

Again, reall sorry man...I'd be that pissed too.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:31 PM
lowrango
Senior User
that is crazy. hope everything works out for you.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:06 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
This is by far a first I've heard of something like this, though I've always been weary. What caught fire? There shouldn't be sufficient fuel or oil by the springs to light, and even a few inches away while hot as hell, should not be enough to catch fire. Did the shop burn down with it?

Old 01-19-2012, 02:50 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Sorry to hear that!! If he is a legit shop then he should have insurance to handle this. Your insurance may handle the initial claim and then work with his company as others have mentioned. Definitely show loss of income if applicable and I would start trying to gather comparative sales numbers on similar Ex's since we all know they are selling for more than book - esp 7.3's! Hang in there!

Old 01-19-2012, 02:58 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
That sucks! Like others have said, it should fall under the shop's insurance policy. Sounds like the hassles are just beginning. Just be persistent, and DON'T SETTLE UNTIL YOU ARE HAPPY! Good luck, bro.

Quick Reply: OMG