1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Backup Camera Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:37 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by kjf-250
That not a bad price for a camera like that! I may get one for my Sony head unit. Does it just hook to 12V power then have a video output cable coming out?
Yupp. Spliced mine into my 7 pin.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:27 PM
bigsteve799
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice view, how do you have it hooked up so it stays on your head unit?

Old 01-19-2012, 01:33 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by bigsteve799
nice view, how do you have it hooked up so it stays on your head unit?
It's a feature of the head unit. It allows you to display the rear camera at all times. I can tap the screen to go back to normal and it will allow me to use the radio as normal and when I'm done it switches back to the camera. Also, when it's in camera view I can still use the buttons on the front to skip songs, volume, etc

Old 01-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Vette43
Freshman User
I used this same camera and I love it. I mounted it above the license plate as shown below. You can rotate the camera so it can look downward towards the hitch. I have to hook up my trailers by myself all the time and this makes it much easier.

I also built a circuit to "Fool" the head unit so I can flip a switch and see the hitch while driving. (just need to put the switch in...)

Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Danscapes
Freshman User
looks good. Is it hard to remember that the images are flipped?

Old 01-19-2012, 06:46 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by Danscapes
looks good. Is it hard to remember that the images are flipped?
Not really. It's the same as looking is a mirror.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 PM
FoxNotch
Tuned
OP: That looks like a pioneer head unit you have. Camera just plugs in to it right?

Originally Posted by Vette43
I also built a circuit to "Fool" the head unit so I can flip a switch and see the hitch while driving. (just need to put the switch in...)
Was that hard to do? I definitely want to do that so I can take a peak at the hitch while towing.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:12 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by FoxNotch
OP: That looks like a pioneer head unit you have. Camera just plugs in to it right?
Correct and correct

Originally Posted by FoxNotch
Was that hard to do? I definitely want to do that so I can take a peak at the hitch while towing.
All you have to do us supply 12v to the reverse wire on the head unit. The switch is simply between a 12v on the battery and the radio. When you flip the switch the radio gets the signal and goes into reverse mode. I simply press a button built into my headunit though.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Vette43
Freshman User
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by FoxNotch
</td></tr></tbody></table>
All you have to do us supply 12v to the reverse wire on the head unit. The switch is simply between a 12v on the battery and the radio. When you flip the switch the radio gets the signal and goes into reverse mode. I simply press a button built into my headunit though.
Exactly... Although I went a step further. On my unit, you can not watch a DVD unless you have the "E" brake on. Well, at least the head unit wants to see the E-brake signal asserted 2 times before allowing you to watch a DVD. Now, I don't watch DVDs while driving but if a passenger wanted to do so, I figure that they should be able... so here is the circuit..

It will automatically apply the E-brake signal when the truck starts. I just used a small 8 bit processor to do the trick but you could use relays to do the same thing.

To the original OP, sorry for hijacking your thread but I am as happy with the camera as you are LOL.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:05 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by Vette43
Exactly... Although I went a step further. On my unit, you can not watch a DVD unless you have the "E" brake on. Well, at least the head unit wants to see the E-brake signal asserted 2 times before allowing you to watch a DVD. Now, I don't watch DVDs while driving but if a passenger wanted to do so, I figure that they should be able... so here is the circuit..

It will automatically apply the E-brake signal when the truck starts. I just used a small 8 bit processor to do the trick but you could use relays to do the same thing.

To the original OP, sorry for hijacking your thread but I am as happy with the camera as you are LOL.
No worries. I have a DVD bypass on mine too, but again simplified. My head unit has a wire to supply power to "remote". The ebrake signal is also a 12v signal. Here's the catch. It won't accept the signal if it gets 12v immediately. The head unit has to be on, then receive a 12v signal for ebrake. Luckily, the "remote" power is delayed until the headunit powers up. Put a relay between the two and whammo. DVD access.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:40 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello, is that a pioneer 4300? If so, did you change the wiring so its not hooked to the backup lights at all, basically the camera has power to it at all times? I have the same head unit, I thought I had most of the options figured out but I havent found any button that will turn on the camera at any time. What button is it? I love that radio. It can do so much. I have satelite tv with a different tv in the back and if I want I can have sat tv on the dash and play a dvd in the head unit and it can play the dvd on the back screen at the same time. I dont call it a radio, its an entertainment center. there is enough wires at least to call it that. lol What button or where in the menu can you turn on the camera tho.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:55 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by run6.0run
Hello, is that a pioneer 4300? If so, did you change the wiring so its not hooked to the backup lights at all, basically the camera has power to it at all times? I have the same head unit, I thought I had most of the options figured out but I havent found any button that will turn on the camera at any time. What button is it? I love that radio. It can do so much. I have satelite tv with a different tv in the back and if I want I can have sat tv on the dash and play a dvd in the head unit and it can play the dvd on the back screen at the same time. I dont call it a radio, its an entertainment center. there is enough wires at least to call it that. lol What button or where in the menu can you turn on the camera tho.
Yes it is a 4300. I have the camera wired up to always have power. To get the camera to come up you open the source menu and it will be on the top of the screen in the middle.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:13 AM
kjf-250
Senior User
Okay one more question. Is there somewhere towards the front (under the dash/hood) where you can tap into the reverse circuit? My Sony head unit has the wire coming out to connect to the reverse circuit, just didn't know if there was a wire at the front that I could actually find or if you have to run it out of the cab and back.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:55 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by kjf-250
Okay one more question. Is there somewhere towards the front (under the dash/hood) where you can tap into the reverse circuit? My Sony head unit has the wire coming out to connect to the reverse circuit, just didn't know if there was a wire at the front that I could actually find or if you have to run it out of the cab and back.
Yes it comes out of the steering column.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,991 Likes on 1,598 Posts
2nd Backup Camera

I have the F-350 Ultimate Lariat. It has the Nav/Radio/everything unit. In reverse the tailgate camera displays on the Nav Screen. I want to add a 2nd camera on the back of my 5th wheel RV. Any hints ?? Is there a 2nd video input to the Nav unit ? Thanks Folks for any help.

Quick Reply: New Backup Camera Installed