Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E40D shifting hard...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 12:21 AM
Chris Niemann
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. The caps key got your attention didn't it?

2. Doesn't everyone get upset when they read through an entire post and its their exact problem just to find out the guy didn't post the resolution...

3. Thanks for all the information. Out of all the info I gathered from the other posts and what people suggested, I went the route of electrical first. I unplugged EVERY single harness from the transmission to the PCM and from the rear end (where the VSS is) and cleaned every female end with a pic and male end with a tiny flat head screw driver to clear corrosion from them all. I then covered the female end of each one with a decent amount of dielectric grease and put them all back together. Drove 200yds and it still did it, then all of a sudden it quit. Drove another almost 75 miles through my gravel road country and it did great! We'll see what it does in the morning from a cooler start. Hopefully it was just a crap wire/connection along the way!

4. Yes, tomorrow sometime I will post what the outcome is!

Old 06-27-2012, 12:57 AM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Niemann
1. The caps key got your attention didn't it?
Sure did, for the first and last time!!!!!!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:33 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Chris Niemann
1. The caps key got your attention didn't i!
nope
It was the email reminder that someone posted to a thread I'm subscribed to
Or
That the thread was at the top of the list with a topic lots of people help with.

Sure wasn't you and your caps lock

Old 06-27-2012, 06:45 AM
Chris Niemann
New User
so I got 50/50 out of it, good enough

Old 06-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Chris Niemann
New User
cleaning all the harness connections and using dielectric grease really helped but I still had a small hiccup along the way...

ADJUSTMENT!

the sensor at the shift linkage ( i call it the neutral safety switch ) but whatever you want to call it, i think was just a bit off.... adjusted that a bit and 150 miles later on gravel, interstate, and city streets, she's done me good!!

thanks to everyone for all the tips and "look for's"

Sorry to anyone I pissed off with the caps... promise it won't happen again!!

Old 06-27-2012, 07:13 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Most neutral safety switches have a tiny hole in the side. Switch gear lever into neutral, loosen the adjustment bolts , and slide a small pin into the hole. It should lign up the contacts to neutral and then tighten bolts up. MLPS (manual lever position switch aka neutral safety switch) should be in correct position. I've actually had one move on me and give issues also.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Chris Niemann
New User
next chance I get for field work to stop I'll def crawl under there and look for that a little closer! I'm sure a pressure washer will be needed prior to seeing this little hole but thanks again for that info! When I swapped the transmissions, the one that came with this one was busted so i swapped them out and just put it together, never even noticed the hole

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:20 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/2...-align-it.html

i couldnt find what i was looking for but this thread says there is a lin that needs to match up on the e4od

Old 06-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Chris Niemann
New User
ok, i'll look for both...

p.s. Notice the unfinished thread again? LOL

Old 06-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Chris Niemann
New User
And we're back to square one............

Yesterday i drove it from dads to my place (all of maybe a 1/4 mile) and it did fine, shut it off, went in and got the wife, got in truck to leave again and BANG... it did it again.........

so I'm back to suggestions. don't get how I can drive it over 300 miles of moving the shift lever and shutting it off and back on over a dozen times and it does fine, then all of a sudden we're back to where we started.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:24 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
it did what again exactly Chris?
"did it" = trans entered limp mode,with firm shifts and flashing OD light? do you have any other symptoms?
if "did it" = limp mode,what are your code(s) ?

you should post all your trucks details too as well as any trans symptoms,other than firm shifts/flashing light if any.the flashing light and firm shifts is universal to a series of mechanical and electrical issues.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Chris Niemann
New User
I'll get back to you guys on the codes, I have to drive the 20 miles to town to get to a reader.

"did it" is exactly that. Firm/hard shifting and the O/D light starts blinking. once it enters that, it takes the motor getting to almost 3k RPM before it feels like it starts pulling on the transmission again...

Today so far its done just fine again. Did about 12 starts and shifting's and went about 30 miles total from farm to farm. Not a single hiccup along the way.

1995 F150 Ext. Cab 5.8L E4OD 4x4

the rest of the truck is "perfect" as in no other flaws or problems anywhere. I know tomorrow (sunday) i'm in the field most the day so I won't be able to get codes then, hopefully Monday or Tuesday at the latest I'll post up what I got from the codes!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:46 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
do the newer e4od trans have a temp sensor in them
i had a 4r100 where the temp sensor was erratic and kept going into limp mode
or maybe it is bad and it thinks its cold/hot and adjusting line pressure to result in a hard shift
(to the trans gurus) how much line pressure does the trans supposed to have
can you put a spare oil pressure gauge in the test port and let us know if the pressure spikes before the hard shift
if pressure does not spike, could it be that the trans is disengaging a gear and then slam into the next (instead of a nice transition)
hmmm
this is gonna sound weird....is your tps going bad, being a 5.8 you dont have mass air, so you cant unplug the tps and see if the hard shifts go away. but do you notice a hitch in rpm of power before this hard shift, or at any time throughout the throttle range.

i gotta ask also, did you put any addatives into the trans to fix this issue
when was the last time that you serviced the trans
you could add a bottle of seafoam 100-200 miles before you do a service to trya nd help loosen up some sticking parts.

last thing
i actually recently purchased an inline trans line pressure alteration device that i could set how much extra pressure was added, i only put it on the 23psi setting (goes up to like 70 or something) and i gotta say..... i was very surprised that it got rid of (the last bit) of hard shifting i had. the most noticable was actually the major trans flush and filter and service though, but that took about 1500-2000 miles of driving before it really shifted smooth and nice
and my truck only has 58k original miles... i cant imagine how bad it could be after 100k of neglagence

Old 06-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Midnite1987
Cargo Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been having issues for a while now with a hard shift from 1st to 2nd. The OD light does NOT flash and there are no codes. I thought it might be the shift kit so I removed the stage2 springs and installed the stage 1 springs and the 1-2 shift is still the same and the other shifts got better. I just removed the shift kit all together and put a new set of stock springs in and 1-2 is still harsh and the others now feel like factory.

Could this possibly be the mlps needs to be adjusted?

EDIT: checked mlps and the marks lined up.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Midnite1987
Cargo Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
this is gonna sound weird....is your tps going bad, being a 5.8 you dont have mass air, so you cant unplug the tps and see if the hard shifts go away. but do you notice a hitch in rpm of power before this hard shift, or at any time throughout the throttle range.
I don't notice any powerless right before the hard shift but I do notice between 2500-2700rpm it's like someone turned down the power and turned it back up (most noticeable in 3 and 4 gear)

Quick Reply: E40D shifting hard...