1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conflicted about new F250 6.2L purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:46 PM
StriperNut
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Conflicted about new F250 6.2L purchase

Hello All;

For a few years now I've been planning on buying a F250 as a new boat puller (about 4000 lbs. all in) with the intention of carrying a 150 gallon bait tank and related batteries, O2 tank etc in the bed of the truck as well. I estimate that the load from the bait tank and related stuff will be in the 1500-1600 lb. range. The truck wouldn't really be a daily driver and the tow distances wouldn't usually be all that much (generally 150 miles or less per round trip).

After much back and forth when the 6.2L was introduced, based on my situation this seemed like the answer for me. However, after getting real close to pulling the trigger on 2011 F250 Lariat 6.2L, 4x4 last spring I decided to put it off and give the vehicle a year or so to be in the market just to see how it fared in the real world and to also at least have the potential option of buying a used truck instead of new.

Fast forward to now and I find myself needing to either find a beater for our college age son to replace his car or bite the bullet on a new vehicle for me and let him use the 98 Expedition that has been my boat puller since it was new in 98. My inclination is to just take the $ I'd use to buy him a car and put towards a new truck for me.

However , I have to say that all of the negative experiences I've heard about the transmission (and other things too really) related to the 6.2L 2011 F250 really has me spooked about spending this much $ for this vehicle. I know that what follows is a bit like a stranger walking into a church and insulting the beliefs of those present but if you rule out GM and Dodge products (which I WILL NOT buy) what other option is there? If it wasn't for the payload I want to carry I'd be working at finding myself a Tundra with the 5.7L engine...frankly their reviews and real world performance seem to be much better than what I should reasonably expect from the F250 6.2L, if you accept what you find online as valid.

So here I am...back to thinking the F250 6.2L is the best suited tool for my application but basically afraid to commit to it because of the tranny problems that I've read so much about here (and elsewhere) combined with the generally not so great reviews the truck has gotten in most places.

I understand that folks unhappy with their trucks are generally going to be more vocal than those that are happy...but really...look at the pages and pages of posts about the transmission problems with this truck and how long it has taken Ford to address it...if in fact they really have now.

I guess I'm just looking for some feedback on this truck relative to my application...is it the right truck? What other options are there really? Just how concerned should I be about the transmission issues? Would I be better off by focusing on the 2012 than looking for a 2011? Can I really minimize the likelihood of having these problems with a 2011 by buying one built after a specific date? If so, what is that date?

Any insight and/or suggestions on how to approach this would be much appreciated!

Tim

Old 01-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Harold Graham
Junior User
Understood! We never did any tire, gauges, etc. upgrades to our 2005 F 250 SuperDuty 6.0 liter diesel, guessing that upkeep, fluid changes and fuel costs would be expense enough alone. I had a feeling that we would spend money just keeping it running.
I too wanted to get a new 6.2 gasser but could not get a reasonable trade from the dealership I bought the truck in 2005. Imagine that!
My point is just expect to have expenses. I have owned all other makes and the SuperDuty has been my favorite. The diesel purchase I wish would have come out better but we have hung in there and plan to keep it until it reaches its estimated engine service interval.
So go for it, but get a great deal, dealer invoice or newer used. Even though you will keep it for a while, a great deal will make you feel better.
Harold

Old 01-15-2012, 01:18 PM
onedcharette
Senior User
i think most of the 6.2 tranny issues were with the first ones off the line. i suppose the late 2011's will be fine as well as anything in 2012. i dont think you will be disappointed in the 6.2 or the tranny. it is a great running combo. then again... im a lil partial. good luck on your search/purchase.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Raleigh1
Elder User
Do the F350's have a more built transmission? I know in the past they have, so that would be the easiest solution if they do have the more built trans.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:33 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
If the transmission scares you (even though it is fixed) buy a used 2005-2010 gas engine truck. The 5R110W is a sturdy and reliable unit, although it too had a few problems when it was first introduced.

I pull double the weight you intend to pull with my 2007 5.4L V-8. The 5.4L could easily handle a 4000 pound load. A V-10, although harder to find, would be an excellent choice also.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:34 PM
onedcharette
Senior User
Originally Posted by Raleigh1
Do the F350's have a more built transmission? I know in the past they have, so that would be the easiest solution if they do have the more built trans.

they are the same.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:35 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Originally Posted by Raleigh1
No, the only difference between the F-350 single rear wheel (SRW) and the F-250 are the badges and taller spring blocks at the rear axle. Otherwise, they are the same truck with the same drive train.

The F-350 dual rear wheel (DRW) will have the same engine and transmission, but a different rear differential.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what trans issues are you guys even refering to ???

intialy i heard of a few software glitchs causing weird shift/shutter at launch but thats long since been remedied..

have there been hard part failures with the new 6speed auto ?

if so im un aware of them..

ps i dont think the 6.2 auto trans is any different then the one you get behind the 6.7 coal burner.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:17 PM
onedcharette
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life
what trans issues are you guys even refering to ???

intialy i heard of a few software glitchs causing weird shift/shutter at launch but thats long since been remedied..

have there been hard part failures with the new 6speed auto ?

if so im un aware of them..

ps i dont think the 6.2 auto trans is any different then the one you get behind the 6.7 coal burner.
you are correct with the glitches and also correct with them being remedied.

i think he was referring to... https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-problems.html

Old 01-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Cold One
Senior User

Transmissions are not fixed i am on my second 2011. One early build and one late, 6.2 and 6.7 respectivly. The probloms have diminished but have all but vanished. I would wait untill spring and give them more time to work on the trannys or swap in a allison.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:14 PM
niffty 350
New User
Stripernut,

I was one of the unlucky one's who bought a early built 2011 F350 RC 4X4 with the 6.2. It had the shifting problem you have been hearing about,
But thanks to the great people who post on this sight I got the answers on how to fix the problem. 5500 miles later, runs great!!!
I would trip the hammer and buy another 2011 if needed!

Old 01-15-2012, 09:13 PM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems to me you'd be better served with a F150, it'll handle that load and tow 4000# easily while riding better and getting better mileage, especially with the EcoBoost.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:33 PM
StriperNut
New User
Thanks for the input guys.

Hadn't really given any thought to looking for a newer 250 with a V10. Will have to give that a look. Did a little bit today and it does seem that there are a few around.

The Expedition that I've used to tow this boat (or one like it) around for the last 13 years has the 5.4L engine and although it does ok when towing - it's all the vehicle wants at times and that's without the payload I want to carry with a truck. Why would I expect better results with the 5.4L in a 250?

Hadn't looked at the specs on the F150 in a while...did so tonight. There again based on my experience with this boat and the 5.4L engine without the extra 1500 or so lb. payload why would I expect better results with this engine in a 150 than what I've seen in the Expedition? Also, when I was looking at the specs it looked like all the 2012 F150 configurations use a 6 speed automatic transmission. Is it the same one that's in the 250 with the 6.2L engine?

Looks to me like this might come down to a question of the cost differential (and miles) on a newer V10 gasser if I can find one to suit and a new 2011 (made recently) or 2012 F250 and making my peace with the new 6 speed transmission. The fact that I will probably keep this vehicle for a long time does seem like a factor in this equation too.

Oh boy! A word-math problem with lots of variables!! LOL

Old 01-15-2012, 11:36 PM
azgard
Junior User
Between the load your expecting, what your towing, and any additional weight ( people) your going to be pushing or exceeding a 150, so don't bother. Since being addressed I haven't seen much regarding any issues with the shifting glitch and all else being equal so far has been a pretty solid transmission. The 6.2 is a pretty good engine and the transmission work's great with it, I've only towed about 3000 lb with about another 1000 lb in the bed and barely felt the truck working the tow/haul mode adjust's the shift points pretty good.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: Conflicted about new F250 6.2L purchase