6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:28 PM
reeder65
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help

Ok here is the deal. I have a 2006 ford f350 6.0 for the last month or so it has had a hard time starting and has a lot of white/blue smoke for the first 15 minutes or so of running then runs ok other then it feels like it has a miss. Anyway on Tuesday we shut the truck off and it sat for about 8 hours or so and we could not get it to start then it totally died. Yesterday we replaced the starter and it took forever but we finally got it to start. Drove it to the store and then home and seemed to run fine. TOday it will turn over and tries to start but just won't. We changed the fuel filters and are wondering if maybe they atre the problem. We used micro guard filters could that be the problem or is it something else???

Old 01-12-2012, 12:31 PM
reeder65
New User
the microguard we used is number 33899

Old 01-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Bigballzz
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to use starter fluid / ether on a diesel with a turbo charger on it. Not 100% sure though but I heard it will destroy your turbo. Just so you know.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:51 PM
reeder65
New User
Yea we know but it was suggessted so we tried just a little. that is how we got it to start last night.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:01 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,110 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Do you have anyway to test your FICM voltage?

Old 01-12-2012, 01:03 PM
reeder65
New User
I don't think so. I don't really know how to check that.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:11 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you checked your batteries? If they're weak your doing allot of damage to the FICM/injectors on these motors. The smoke could be a couple of things. Not that it's going to make a difference right now, but Microguard filters are not the correct spec for these engines.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:19 PM
reeder65
New User
The batteries should be fine. We just replaced both batteries in July so I wouldn't think they would go weak that quick. It turns over fine just like its not getting enough fuel to start it. We also replaced the ficm but it was a used one so I don't know.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Special Ed
Elder User
Microguard I believe is a no no. OE filters are recommended by most if not all here.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:05 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by reeder65
The batteries should be fine. We just replaced both batteries in July so I wouldn't think they would go weak that quick. It turns over fine just like its not getting enough fuel to start it. We also replaced the ficm but it was a used one so I don't know.
Have you confirmed the fuel pump is running? When you first turn the key to the on position/glow plug warm up...you should be able to hear it under the driver's door. Runs for about 20-30 seconds. If it sounds like the pump is running...then you need to confirm that there is fuel at the upper fuel filter and pressure is at least 45 psi. You'll need an external gauge to do that...can get some notes if you need help with that. It wouldn't hurt to confirm the FICM is good...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...procedure.html
(jump down to the test for a 4 screw FICM)

If you FICM is bad, I'd talk to Ed at FICMrepair.com before I bought a new/used one. For grins & giggles, if you've got the cord...plug the block heater in for a couple of hours and see if that will help the truck start. It would rule out several things and narrow it down to either glow plugs or FICM.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:55 PM
reeder65
New User
zhilton. The fuel pump is working I can hear it. We changed the top fuel filter today it was only half full?? Just put the old fuel filter in the bottom and it is sounding more like it wants to start then it did before. It will run for a few seconds the quit again. Also it has been plugged in all night.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:44 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
zhilton. The fuel pump is working I can hear it. We changed the top fuel filter today it was only half full?? Just put the old fuel filter in the bottom and it is sounding more like it wants to start then it did before. It will run for a few seconds the quit again. Also it has been plugged in all night.
Half full sounds about right if you pulled the little filter out. If the filter was still in...might have something to do with that filter in the HFCM (primary under driver's door) maybe keeping enough fuel from getting to the engine. Still wouldn't hurt to get a fuel pressure gauge on it to figure out if there is enough pressure to feed all the injectors. If your starving 2-3 injectors the truck won't start or won't stay running.

The plugged in help take the glow plugs completely out of the equation and limits the FICM's involvement (ruled out cold start issues). Still need to check it for proper voltage (link in the 10th post of this thread). Granted it isn't a cut & dry issue that way...it will at least help tell you if the FICM is suspect or okay.

For the sake of discussion, how much fuel is in the tank? I know it sounds stupid, but you'd be amazed what tunnel vision does to diagnosing problems (don't ask how I know this).

Old 01-12-2012, 04:05 PM
reeder65
New User
Originally Posted by zhilton
Half full sounds about right if you pulled the little filter out. If the filter was still in...might have something to do with that filter in the HFCM (primary under driver's door) maybe keeping enough fuel from getting to the engine. Still wouldn't hurt to get a fuel pressure gauge on it to figure out if there is enough pressure to feed all the injectors. If your starving 2-3 injectors the truck won't start or won't stay running.

The plugged in help take the glow plugs completely out of the equation and limits the FICM's involvement (ruled out cold start issues). Still need to check it for proper voltage (link in the 10th post of this thread). Granted it isn't a cut & dry issue that way...it will at least help tell you if the FICM is suspect or okay.

For the sake of discussion, how much fuel is in the tank? I know it sounds stupid, but you'd be amazed what tunnel vision does to diagnosing problems (don't ask how I know this).
It only has about a quarter of a tank. Says there is like 126 miles to E. This wouldn't suck so bad if it wasn't blowing snow and freezing outside but you can only handle being out there for about 30 minutes at a time lol

Old 01-12-2012, 04:12 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
It only has about a quarter of a tank. Says there is like 126 miles to E.
Might try dumping a couple gallons (4-5 gallons if you can) into the tank just to rule out it not picking up fuel. I wouldn't say it's a long shot, but it's something simple that would keep you from tearing your engine apart for nothing. I wouldn't trust either the fuel gauge or the overhead computer/mileage calculator. They're well known for not being accurate.
This wouldn't suck so bad if it wasn't blowing snow and freezing outside but you can only handle being out there for about 30 minutes at a time lol
I know how you feel, been there...done that, got the blue & numb fingers.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:33 PM
reeder65
New User
ok will try that if we can get to the closest station that has diesel. Thanks for the help!!!

Quick Reply: Please Help